Vero4k overheating often

i’ve recently noticed the unit crashing more often due to overheating. i’ve stayed away from x265 media so am sure that’s not it. the nook where i’ve had it at has been where it’s been at for several years, so cooling has always been decent where it’s at. not sure what else to check.

i have half a mind to open it to maybe replace the thermal paste or something but was thinking it may be something triggered by software instead of a hardware issue.

Having the same problem. Happens when playing high bitrate 4K HDR movies. My Vero 4K+ gets very warm too, with crashes, picture freeze and green screens. Even when scrolling through my extensive library it happens. When the Vero stays connected to the power it happens very fast, when I disconnect it, it happens a bit later but it is impossible to view an entire movie. Once it happens it stays and you need to let it cool down.
All other movies and series in 1080p work fine, web-dl 4K HDR works fine too but they are only about 20gb so bitrate is much lower.
Bought me a Nvidia Shield Pro yesterday and have been testing it for 14hrs, no problems whatsoever…
Or we have both a Vero from a bad batch …

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

thanks for the instructions.
it happens randomly. will share the logs when it shuts down again.

I have the same issue( I had overheat it playing music) and since my 4k was outside the warranty I opened mine up and found that it was missing the heat transfer pad which I saw in this link https://fccid.io/2AI57-VERO4K/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-3944155 as my idle temperature is 75 celcius which is far to hot in my opinion and there is a big metal plate in the which does nothing for cooling since the heat transfer pad was missing. I’m currently looking locally for a suitable replacement pad for this purpose and I’m of the opinion it should of had a fan for cooling purposes from the beginning as you can get the fans that are completely quiet but still cools the device effectively.

thanks for the link.
was looking for the screw holding the thing together but it looks like there isn’t any. just need to pry the lid off, it seems.
i suppose one of those heatsinks used on the Pi 4 can work to keep that chip temp down. just need to measure how much free space there is inside.

It would be good to actually see some logs when overheating is occurring so we can verify if the device is actually overheating, and what is causing this.

The Vero itself will run up to 120C. Temperatures of 70C aren’t going to be a problem and we do not start throttling performance until 100C.

This doesn’t sound like an overheating issue.
Something else is wrong.

The only behaviour you should witness if the device is overheating is that it will turn itself off and the front red LED will turn red. If this doesn’t occur, the device isn’t engaging in a thermal shutdown.

I suggest checking that you are using the correct power supply on the device.

I requested some logs several days ago in another post from you, but didn’t see a response from you yet.

Passive cooling is adequate for this device. We don’t want to introduce moving parts.

For example I tested with Birds of Prey in 4K, BD untouched in bdmv file structure. the Vero 4K+ crashes not on the same place in the movie. I get a green screen. I disconnect the powerchord and let it reboot into Kodi again and it crashes while scrolling the Kodi menu, I reboot again and upload the log file: Icon turn red on the Vero!

https://paste.osmc.tv/sobezaqoru

The movie plays perfectly well on the shieldtv.

I haven’t seen a green screen caused by overheating before.

When you rebooted – what was the temperature reported under System Info?

From your log – it looks like the WiFi chip is defective and is causing the board to overheat.
Do you see Wireless under My OSMC -> Networking?

Thanks

Sam

Wireless works , I disabled it as I’m connected through cable.
But after a minute the menu freezes again. the temperture was 75°C.
Here’s another log with Tenet BD4K untouched:

https://paste.osmc.tv/zerudicawa

Have you checked it worked by actually disconnecting Ethernet?

This happens when scrolling in the menu or it’s à Green screen. Doesn’t respond anymore …

That looks like faulty RAM to me, not a heat issue. Ping support@osmc.tv with a link to this thread and we can check it out.

Been trying for the last 30min to login on the wifi network but getting these screens all the time and it crashes.

send an é-mail!

the reason I’m only seeing this problem now is because we moved house right after I bought the player and I had no time to watch movies for several months, only the last 2 months!

this was my initial thread:
VERO 4K+ crashes with 4K uncompressed movies - Help and Support - OSMC Forums

That’s fine – I will pick the email up shortly.

So Sam advised me to reinstall OSMC on my Vero 4K+…
How do I do that?
Ty