Vero4K - still not support IP6?

Just changed ISP and new router. It runs IP6 by default. The Vero is only device not getting an IP address. I see in an old post that IP6 was turned off back then. Is IP6 the issue?

IPv6 is supported but is disabled by default currently.

I am also surprised to learn that IPv6 is disabled by default.
Searching Wiki - OSMC for “ipv6” gives no results.
The best information I found is a six year old forum post.

What’s the reason IPv6 is disabled by default?
Six years ago, you said “many routers don’t implement it properly and it can cause problems for the user”.
Since then, IPv6 support has come a long way across the tech stack.

What’s the “official” way to enable IPv6?
Is it still connmanctl config ethernet_$ID_cable --ipv6 auto?

Thanks.

This will work for IPv6.

We found that most IPv6 enabled routers only provide local connectivity, and when taking a route to the Internet, this doesn’t work.

Likely in the near future we can make this a configurable option.

1 Like

I am surprised you found issues. I have deployed IPv6 over various networks with various routers and haven’t had an issue in years.

If a router doesn’t have a route, it shouldn’t send a router advertisement.

Can you say which specific routers had which specific problems? If they still do, we need to get that fixed.

I did some quick websearching and most the issues of not having a route with IPv6 seem configuration mistakes of users.

I am not really sure what you mean by “local connectivity”. There’s fe80::/10, but that’s specified for link-local only.

This has been a while ago. We can enable support for it in the future, but I’d like the My OSMC interface to be able to handle configuration – currently it’s only geared up for IPv4.

I too had used that connmanctl command to enable IPv6.
But if it is not documented in the wiki I think it would be good idea to add it in the wiki. Everyone should really just get on with IPv6. For example my Sony 9500 had IPv6 enabled by default.

This seems strange indeed and sounds like a misconfiguration or a bug. When was this observation done? In the last 5-10 years there has been plenty of improvement especially in the CPEs which used to be very fiddly in the past.

Honestly - around 2016 or so

I’ll look at enabling / permitting IPv6 by default from a DHCP perspective, but My OSMC should be adapted to support manual network configuration too.

1 Like

Not sure what this means, but typically residential networks would use SLAAC (with a prefix obtained via DHCPv6 IA_PD) and not DHCPv6 which is typical in an enterprise/managed setting.

SLAAC is only used because of OS limitations. But my point should still be clear: My OSMC can’t handle manual configuration on IPv6 yet.

I assume you were able to get everything running manually.