Vero4k thermal shutdown

I’ve had crashes for a while now, they seem completely random.
Today I moved the Vero 4k out in open for ventilation and reformatted the device but within 20 minutes it showed a quick black screen with some white lines on top very quickly and it said something 'thermal…" but could read the rest of it before the red light came on.

Just checked the temperature and it says : 90 degrees celcius, I uses Mimic as well.
Today I reformatted everything before this to make sure the addons weren’t the cause but like I said : clean install from usb and then the mimic skin and boom 20 minutes later red light of death while in the menus not watching anything. I think I unplugged the Vero about 20 times this week to reset it after the red light came on.

So I’m following this tread so look for a solution. It’s about 25 degrees inside I think bu t nothing to warm

This is how my Vero sits currently:

As I said, last night it shutdown, I powercycled it, didn’t even view it, just connected via SSH to read the temps:

Temp: 109c
Cpu goes from 1512 to 667 and back.
This is from reboot, nothing done.

My setup is, as stated before:

OSMC latest stable build
PKC (PMS running on NUC in LAN, files on HDD’s attached to the router)
Mimic skin (4k GUI), Movie and TV Shows have “On Deck” widget as home

Will have to try the OSMC skin to see if it changes anything. And Mimic with 1080p GUI. I’ll post the results.

Have you temporarily tried not using Mimic?
Is everyone affected using Mimic?

Sam

Results from testing:

Mimic, 4k@60 GUI

Idle = 109c
Playing 1080p = 92-97c
Playing 4k HDR = 98-100c

Mimic, 1080@50 GUI

Idle = 93-98c
Playing 1080p = 86-87c
Playing 4k HDR = 95-96

OSMC, 4k@60 GUI

Idle = 97c
Playing 1080p = 87-88c
Playing 4k HDR = 93-95c

OSMC, 1080@50 GUI

Idle = 85-87c
Playing 1080p = 83-85c
Playing 4k HDR = 90-94c

So Mimic, especially with the 4k GUI is taking the unit too far. Switching to 1080p drops 10-15c, I’ll try that for next night.

Don’t run the GUI at 4K. This will cause problems with playing 4K content.
I’ll look in to the Mimic issue.

Sam

1 Like

Left the machine on last night on Mimic 1080p@50 GUI and no crash. Didn’t have time to check the temps, but at least no crash.

@santeri.m.t.niemi If the temperature of the Vero is still above 70-80°C when assumed to be idle, could you run the following command via ssh and provide the returning URL, so we can see whether and what process is burning CPU?

sudo top -bH -d 10.0 -n 6|paste-log

(it runs 6 iterations of 10 seconds samples, so last around a minute before it comes back with the URL)

Thx in advance,

Sure thing, I’ll do it in the evening and post back.

Thank you all for your help, glad I chose the Vero4k instead of a Nvidia Shield :slight_smile:

https://paste.osmc.tv/afucisenav

Temp was 99c at this time.

@santeri.m.t.niemi The COMMAND column is missing from the output???

Odd! I copy-pasted the command you’d written. Any ideas?

@santeri.m.t.niemi Yes, if you’re using a putty window and makes it too small, the COLUMN environment variable will be also too small but top respects it.

try again

sudo top -bH -d 10.0 -n 6 -w 128 |paste-log

@JimKnopf https://paste.osmc.tv/ijenihuhit

Idling at 100c, Mimic 1080@50 GUI.

That is too high.
I will replicate and fix this.

For now I recommend another skin.

Sam

just watched something for about 30 minutes, checked the temperature in the settings/hardware and was 92 degrees, 2 minutes later when in the menus it crashes while showing the black background with white letters for a couple of seconds and it said : reached 118 degrees or something and then it shut down. With Mimic still at the moment. I will also change the skin to the basic one to see if it still happens. Thanks for the follow up

I’m working on a solution for skins that tax the GPU. I’ll let you know when I have something to test.

Sam

1 Like

Thank you @sam_nazarko and @JimKnopf for all your help, really appreciate the helpfulness of you guys and the whole forum.

Sam, do you have any idea why some skins tax the GPU so much while idle? And can it have something to do with using Plexkodiconnect and its widgets?

Changed to Estuary to test how it is, I’ll check the temps later when I’m home.

Read this post: CPU usage and system load while idle - #13 by athlion and started to think, can the combination of Mimic and using the “Dim” screensaver be part of the problem?

I have changed at some point to using this setting, didn’t have it on for the first couple of months when I bought the device.

Will test this at some point.

A different skin and screensaver options would probably be the first things to test while we do some work on our side

Sam

Idling with Estuary 1080@50, screensaver enabled: 68c.

Will try all three (Estuary, OSMC & Mimic) without screensaver at some point when I can.