Vero4k thermal shutdown

I’m still working on a solution for this. I’m hoping to have something ready for testing in the next couple of days.

Sam

OK, I’m available for testing once you have a fix.

N.

So am I :slight_smile:

This is hopefully resolved in staging

Sam

I believe I am on staging (Linux Vero 3.14.29-119-osmc) but I can’t see any positive change in CPU usage. My top when idle:

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU   %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND     
655 root      -2   0    0       0      0 R     56.0  0.0 440:11.66  dhd_dpc     
70 root       -51  0    0       0      0 S     24.5  0.0 189:37.69  irq/248-sd+ 
652 osmc      20        755416 155400  13644 S  9.6  8.5 100:49.90  kodi.bin    

and iotop shows basically no traffic.

I’m experiencing the same. One thing I noticed is that the process dhd_dcp starts consuming much less resources (<10% CPU usage) if I disable and enable the wireless adapter in MyOSMC.

However after a restart the issue reappears.

Currently my version is 3.14.29-119-osmc

What’s the output of cat /etc/modules-load.d/wifi.conf?

Sam

wifi_dummy

OK – I’m not sure why you’re still getting high CPU use.

Can you turn off Vero for a few minutes at the mains? Then power back up. If it persists some logs will be helpful

Sam

Just had it plugged off from power source for around 20min, still having high cpu usage with dhd_dpc.

http://paste.osmc.tv/itereruwey - I uploaded the logs from the osmc UI. Please do let me know if you need something more specific.

Are you in a position where you can reinstall, update and test with Kodi v17?

Sam

Hello Sam, team
I was just wondering if the Overtemp issues on skins such as Mimic (heavy GPU usage) had been resolved and this thread appeared to have gone cold.
I had reverted back to the Kodi standard with the notes from reading this thread.
Many thanks

We added some thermal improvements.
Are you still experiencing a problem?

Sam

Hello Sam
I misunderstood the thermal improvements as being involved solely in the dhd_dpc CPU usage and not the GPU usage caused by Mimic and similar skins. To date I have maintained the Kodi standard skin with no trouble.

I will revert back to the Mimic skin over the next few days. We are coming into Summer here so I was concerned of overheating the Vero4K unit. If there are any issues I will revert back.

Many thanks

Anyone running Titan skin on Vero 4K? Its my fav skin and awesome on my PC, less so on my RPi 3 (bit sluggish and sometimes overheats and reboots).

Wondering if Vero can handle Titan?

Thanks

I use Titan and have no problems specific to the 4K. No overheat, and it’s very responsive. I have a bluetooth keyboard paired, and can scroll through pages of movie posters at full speed.

There are some bugs in the skin (like display of actors doesn’t always work right), but that happens on my PC install, too.

1 Like

Fantastic. Looks like Vero 4K + eGreat HDMI Splitter will become my defacto one stop Kodi device when i receive it (should be soon).

1 Like

I can confirm the dhd_dpc issue is gone. However some skins still strain the CPU more than others:

Skin Temperature Kodi CPU usage
no Kodi 65 °C n/a
OSMC Skin 65 °C 10-15%
Confluence 65 °C 10-15%
Mimic 78 °C 50%
Titan 65 °C 10-15%
Amber 67 °C 15-20%
1 Like

That sounds exclusively like a Mimic issue from your table. I’m not sure we can do much in that regard but contacting the maintainer may help

@Airacobra thanks for the skin performance table that’s really useful