Vero4k thermal shutdown

My Vero 4K is at about 100° when using Mimic and kodi.bin uses about 50% of the CPU. When I switch to OSMC skin, it drops to about 70° and about 10% of the CPU is used by kodi.bin.

However, in both cases a dhd_dpc command is using more than 50% of the CPU. Is it the issue with Wifi you mentioned? Also an irq/248-sd_emmc command is consuming about 25% of the CPU. Even if I shut down Kodi, those two processes are still draining the CPU.

I am fixing this.

Will look in to that but just sounds IO related.
You could install iotop (sudo apt-get install iotop) and see if there are intense IO activities.

Sam

Hey,

may I chime in here with the same problem.
Vero 4k, 1920x2080@60, earlier Nebula skin, now Osmc skin. Vero sits on top of a TV board. Connected via wifi.

Now, with Osmc skin, the load average is ~3.5 with dhd_dpc using ~55%, irq/248-sd_emmc using ~22% of CPU. One of the side effects: I cannot skip forward/backward in a movie; the first keypresses of the forward button of an IR remote would not be recognized or handled, and after the next keypress the forward action is repeated endlessly until I exit the movie. It is slightly better with the Kodi remote app on my mobile phone.
kodi.bin uses between 8 and 15% of CPU.

Temperature watch with Osmc skin in the menu is ~87°C. With Nebula skin it was hotter, and Vero would freeze eventually. I have just found this thread and immediately applied the default skin to prevent further freezes. I did not apply the above mentioned kernel patch so far.

iotop shows 0.00 reads/writes/IO most of the time.

How else can I – a) help in solving b) get rid of – this problem? :wink:

I’m fixing high CPU use on dhd currently.
It seems like IRQs for IR events aren’t being handled quickly enough. I will check that.

What IR remote are you using?

Sam

Hey Sam,
it is a Logitech Harmony Elite which has been working perfectly for the last 8 months.
Jan

NB, temperature is now 109°C, CPU speed is swapping between 1200 and 667. Osmc skin, idling in the menu.

Any update on the thermal issues ?
It seems my TV is turning on at random moments since the last update, is this possible. I didn’t add any addons and CEC is off as far as I understand.
My logitech harmony is always confused now that the tv is out of its control.

Thermal issues caused by heavy skins (GPU Usage) was fixed in July update.

Are you sure? Check the details. Maybe reactivate it and ensure the “Switch source on start” off.

I though this meant it wasn’t fixed, or is just the Mimic skin still the issue.
I had another crash today when I went back to Mimic to test and the Vero was hot so I’m not sure if it’s fixed. While typing the TV turned on again, CEC is of but I’ll reactive it and change the setting.

Ok, sorry forgot about that change.
Generally Mimic skin is one of the issues due to GPU usage.

I’ve got a YSP-2700 and while the sound coming out of it is great I had real trouble using it as described in the manual. In the end I connected it to my TV with the HDMI-ARC and connected all my sources directly to the TV and control them with the TV remote rather than change sources with the soundbar remote. It might not help your issue but it might be shutting down your Vero somehow or doing something that your TV wouldn’t?

Still switching on the TV behind my back, I’ll unplug the Vero to make sure it is the cause or if something spooky is going on :slight_smile:

Alternatively switch on debug logging to check any CEC messages

It might be my tv itself that’s the problem now. It died a few years ago and we changed some capacitors back then to fix it and it looks like some other ones need replacement.

I got thermal issues since the last update with dsd and multichannel flacs like I mentioned before.
Something to be done about that?

Are there a small subset of files that can consistently overheat a device?

Sam

You mean filesize?

No – I mean do you have any specific files that induce this behaviour?

I was going to say any DSD or multi-channel FLAC is not going to cause overheating. Even on something like a Sansa Clip running Rockbox it would barely tax the device.

Yeah I could reproduce it quite easy the other day during the HRA test.

This was what I posted back then, haven’t checked the past few days, too busy with other stuff

Hi @sam_nazarko,

any progress on this? I’ve noticed that this seriously impacts non-HW accelerated video playback; lots of stuttering, audio-video out of sync. Never noticed that a couple of months ago so I’m assuming it’s the culprit.

N.