Vero4k thermal shutdown

Oh that’s what you mean, yeah I leave it on the home menu 95% of the time.
Is there a difference with the crashes, before there was a red light on the vero, now the led seems to stay blue but the whole screen has a color but I still have to unplug/reset to get it working.

You tried to access it through ssh recently?

I had to use ssh to install the kernel update 2 days ago.

I mean when you think it has crashed as you described above with the screen has a whole color.

I’ll try to get access the next time to see if that still works, but I didn’t it before.

If that works you can just run ‘sudo service mediacenter restart’ if that doesn’t solve the issue you can do ‘reboot’ to reboot your device.

Hi,

When you get the strange colour, have you tried just unplugging and re-plugging the hdmi cable?

Thanks Tom.

Not saying you shouldn’t try it, but HDMI isn’t really keen on hotswapping, you can destroy HDMI boards in your AVR/TV’s with it.

Just a reminder :slight_smile:

Hi,

True I wouldn’t recommended doing the hot-swap all the time, but it would confirm if its an issue with vero4k or like in my case the TV doing weird things with signal after coming out of standby.

If that is the case, then going forward ssh in and either reboot or restart kodi.

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Just means the thermal shut down isn’t kicking in properly. I will fix that.

Sam

I just had to try mine since its the hottest here ever recorded in the time of man and my device is tucked in the back of a closed shelf. It is a big space, but has no real airflow.

With Estuary: Idling at 61.

:slight_smile:

Here idle at 70 with Estuary and an ambient of 28, it’s in a drawer with my nVidia Shield.

Here it’s also extremely hot for this area atm… over 30°C inside.
My Vero is sitting in a HiFi rack one shelf above my AVR with 9 analogue amps which produce massive amounts of heat (to the point where the top of it can’t be touched anymore). CPU temperature during video playback: 80-81°C :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

2 more colour crashes today but I forgot to check if ssh was working.

It crashes at least once or twice a day after the kernel update. After updating to the July 30 update 30 minutes ago the temperature reading is back and it shows 90 celcius (not even watched anything) and the device feels pretty hot. I know there are not many faulty Vero4k devices out there but something must be wrong with mine otherwise more people would be complaining. I really like the idea behind the device and it’s support but at the end of the day I still have a very hot and unstable device that gives me and my girlfriend too many headaches.

Are you using WiFi?

Sam

No wifi, just a cable.

Ok – we have found some temperature regressions (latest update) with WiFi but we are working on this.

I don’t have any suggestions as to why your device would be overheating. This only seems to affect a few devices. All of the reports we had recently were using the Mimic skin. Can you confirm that you are no longer using this skin?

I am looking in to the issue regarding this skin but in the interim we do not recommend using it.

Sam

I switched back to mimic after the kernel update because I thought it was fixed but I’ll switch back to another one for the time being.

I’m going to run Mimic at home and try and work out what the issue is

Today’s update doesn’t have those GPU thermal improvements in yet as they are too immature.

Sam