VERO4K / VERO4k+ Everyday morning unable to play Movies and require a reboot

Everyday morning when I tried to play a movie (Via the movie LIB or via files menu) none of the movies are playing and time to time crashing… However post a reboot all working fine.

Note that my NAS is not setup for SLEEP and active all the time.

I have attached the logs for your review when I replicated the issue. Again Issue only replicated after a long idle time… 8 - 10h +

Soon after the issue Happened (Unable to play songs, Movies):

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Thu Aug 8 07:35:21 2019 from 192.168.1.138
**osmc@MBRVero4Kplus** : **~** $ grab-logs -A
Logs successfully uploaded.
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/wibovumoca
**osmc@MBRVero4Kplus** : **~** $ 

Post a manual reboot:

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Thu Aug 8 08:07:34 2019 from 192.168.1.138
osmc@MBRVero4Kplus : ~ $ grab-logs -A
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/odoluturah
osmc@MBRVero4Kplus : ~ $

Another replicated incident:

Soon as the issue happened:

**osmc@MBRVero4Kplus** : **~** $ grab-logs -A
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/hurecitico

Post a manual reboot:

osmc@MBRVero4Kplus : ~ $ grab-logs -A
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/iwilakohaj
osmc@MBRVero4Kplus : ~ $

Take from log https://paste.osmc.tv/hurecitico

====================== Memory =================== eWTP1Mc8
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           1756        1675          55           8          25          23
Swap:             0           0           0

The device only has 23 MB of available memory. The first step should be to try disabling add-ons.

1 Like

Thanks @dillthedog will do this and thanks for solving this mystery. I will post If I am having the same issue after disabling few addons

That skin your running is also very heavy and from your advancedsettings i’m assuming that you likely have some very large image files in your cache that are not helping memory usage (commenting out the setting does not change what is already cached).

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out as well… I do use 25sec image rotator and will see how this goes by increasing the time////

Hello @darwindesign @dillthedog

I have turn off most of the add ons and this issue still happening…

Any tips or ticks to investigate which add on or plugs causing the high memory usage and memory leak?

If I know this I can provide the findings to the addon / skin developers.

P.S: I am using the current skin for 8 years + and never had an issue prior to Kodi 18.

We made a lot of changes so can you clarify exactly which issues are still outstanding. Are we down to just running out of memory so a reboot is required to get back to a properly running machine? If that is what’s left then I think your going to have to do a trial and error thing and watch what happens. You might try changing your skin to Estuary for a day and see if the problem goes away. That’s not to say you can’t keep running the skin you have, but there may be some setting your using in it that is causing you issues.

A different approach you can try is to make a user profile with a shared library and try using that for a day and see what happens. This should isolate away most of what you have going on including your skin to help narrow down where the problem lies. If that is trouble free then you could start adding thing till it breaks. After your done you can just delete the extra profile. Just make sure you don’t run out of storage.

@darwindesign Again you helped to resolve a mystery. Respect mate…

My skin image rotator was the issue… When I stop this altogether whole VERO box started to operate faster and issue didn’t come up at all…

You highlight a valid issue as MoviesDB and IMDB started uploaded huge and large images and if you use FANART downloaders like AB and Movie Scrappers these large resolution images will make to your filesystem according to your settings…

I will now find out a way to limit this…

Cheers

Regarding the image issue you can limit the size that gets cached with an advancedsetting.xml entry. The default settings should be fine though. Unless i’m getting you mixed up with someone else I think I remember seeing that there was a setting to allow the images to be larger that was commented out. If there is art that was previously cached at a larger size that would only get replaced if you dumped the cache and let it repopulate. If you wanted to keep a large cache but were lacking space you can do a path sub for the cache over to a usb drive or other location. I have been testing this myself for a couple weeks now with my cache sitting on a network attached SSD over SMB and have not seen any issues. If it works over a network, a local attached device should be even better.