Vero4K wont start (power source issue?)

Hi,

My Vero4K+ went dark today and suddenly wont fully start anymore. I get the OSMC boot logo and and last console entry in top left corner is “[OK] Reached target Login Prompts”. Then the video signal is lost.
Video snippet here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwkdA6liWno

I’ve searched this support forum and found similar issues and learned that Vero4K+ can be powered via the USB port. So i took my 33W/3A phone charger with A-A USB cable and tried that. It boots successfully and Kodi gets fully loaded (so no system/storage corruption).

Now the question is … is it an issue with power supply (Original Vero4K one) which gives enough power for initial boot but not enough for holding full system load OR is it some HW issue of Vero (behind the barrel connector slot?)

Sadly

@sam_nazarko I don’t see power supply for Vero in the official shop. Should i just buy some OEM in local store with same V/A and connector type? Or is there anything else i should test?

Thank you in advance for response!

Alex

Hi,

Sounds like your power supply is indeed failing, details about replacements can be found here:

Thanks Tom.

Thanks a lot for the link! PSU ordered.

I wonder if i can keep the Vero powered via the white USB port using the phone charger till i get the PSU (next week approx)?. Or is it meant to be some sort of “emergency/backup” power mode which should not be used for longer period of time?

Hi,

Using a phone charger is not recommended, as they tend to trickle charge, rather than provide a constant supply.

Although in the short term you will probably be all right, its not supported.

Thanks Tom.

Hello and sorry for a little thread necro. As written above in June 2022 my original Vero4k power source died (after ~3 years) and I’ve ordered a new one as suggested by @Tom_Doyle. Sadly the replacement PSU died today as well - so after a 1,5years. Vero was blinking red and not booting. When i switched to USB charger and used the white USB port it booted without issues. So definitely power source issue again.

Note that where i live the powergrid is pretty stable with (relatively) clean power. Anyway since i like my tech stuff i have UPS (Eaton) pretty much in front of every IT “thing” including VERO. In the same UPS i have connected similar style of PSU for my network switch and router (as a miniPC/pfSense) as well as Onkyo A/V receiver. These are running for years (5-8++) without issues. So i don’t believe my UPS is “killing” the Vero PSU only.

Am i just having bad luck or are these PSUs really that faulty? Is there something with “better quality” so it does not die again in 1-2 years? Also am I still able to RMA this to get a replacement PSU? (Not sure what is the policy in UK but here in CZ the warranty is 2y for end customers but i don’t think that applies for orders from abroad).

Thank you in advance for feedback,

Alex

If the device is in warranty, we can send a replacement power supply.

As of late, we’re seeing about 2 in 100 PSUs fail over a 24 month period. This is well in spec for consumer electronics. We are always looking at ways to improve the reliability of our products however.

Thanks for superfast response. So really a bad luck then.

The device (Vero) is not in Waranty anymore for sure. The replacement PSU might be but i am not sure what is your warranty period (as UK is no longer in EU).

UK warranty is six years, and we follow that. EU warranty is two years. As I’m sure you know, the UK is tougher and offers significantly more protection.

However both of these laws are based on there being an inherent fault present, otherwise, terms are diminished, particularly in EU, but we follow the stronger UK laws for international customers.

Your device worked before, still works, and I’m not sure that you’d fall under the scope of a warranty claim here. Nonetheless, PSUs don’t break the bank and I’d like to make sure you’re using an official, approved power supply with your device.

Ping support@osmc.tv with your most recent order number and I’ll get you a new PSU out, but if it goes again, then something really is wrong with your setup. We’ve had failures and admit that, but two in such quick succession suggests something may not be right at home.

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks (again) for detailed feedback. Just to be clear the main purpose was not to save few bucks on RMA but figure out what the hell is going on here with these PSUs dying on me. I am fine to buy “premium” (if there is such thing) just to not have this situation again in next ~7years (haha, i know).

I hear you about the warranty might not apply here. Yet you’ve offered to send the replacement anyway. I am going to politely reject that and I’ll order a new PSU from the store for its normal price as that seems to be the right thing to do :slight_smile: . I hope the next PSU holds for a little longer. Consider this “solved” :slight_smile:

BTW The level of your dedication to this project amazes me. Do you even sleep? :smiley:

Alex

1 Like