Videos with VC-1 Codec doesn´t play properly

Ok – I’ll try it soon enough.

In my case the only service that works in de background is the Emby for Kodi Plugin, need this plugin to connect to the Emby Server as Backend Database and the service does need only low cpu usage - made several tests to play the file from usb stick, via smb fstab, via the plugin with no luck!
When this mean that Videos with the VC-1 Codec play only well when no service or other thread is running in the background i cannot use this workaround because i have to disable hardware acceleraton, then the emby for kodi plugin and play these videos over another source then the rest of my movie mediathek every time i will play such a file and after them i have to enable hardware acceleration and the emby plugin… for usability this is a mess…

I hope that it´s any chance that these problem will be fixed, otherwise i cannot play VC-1 Videos…

I’m back from my break now, so I’ll try and look at this later in the week when things get a bit quieter.

Sam

If you need any help please let me know!

We will need your help for testing when we have improvements. Stay tuned.

Hi,

I don’t know if this helps but I’ve noticed this too. It seems to happen when any VC-1 video is played at 24fps (23.976). Even if I set Kodi to 24Hz and turn of auto adjust display , the videos still don’t play properly.

Other than this I’m loving the Vero 4K so far. A massive step up from my RPi :slight_smile:

Did test the playback of @MikeDelta’s test file, too… With hardware acceleration turned on, the playback isn’t smooth and skips occur. When I deactivate acceleration, it’s even less smooth and massive amounts of frames are dopped.

And I have to add that I didn’t find any option to only disable VC-1 acceleration either.

Hi @sam_nazarko
Any news or improvements for this issue?

Not yet – I am afraid it will take some time to improve this.

Sam

1 Like

Just curious… Any news?

Hi

Yes – there were problems before but I can see they are mainly resolved now.
The other VC1 improvements will likely be in v18, we need a bitparser.

v18 builds are readily available.

Sam

There were improvements in the August update?

There were a couple of video playback improvements, yes.

VC-1 still doesn’t play properly in August update.

Hi,

After looking in to this, it looks like a bitparser is needed for Kodi for some VC1 clips to play back correctly.

This is being worked on for Kodi v18, but I’m not sure if there will be a backport to 17.x.
Kodi v18 test builds will probably yield better results.

In the interim, I’m seeing what can be done to improve things further for Kodi Krypton.

Sam

1 Like

Any news here?

Hi

First someone would need to test if it’s a problem in v18 still.
Then we may be able to see what the options are for v17.

But my first focus is on the PCM audio improvements.

Sam

1 Like

Maybe it would be a good idea to post this in a Kodi v18 test thread for Vero 4k here and let some of those who’re using the alpha builds test some VC1 files… I’d honestly rather not get into the hassle of installing an alpha build just for one single test. :see_no_evil:

Well, can’t say anything against that… Thx!

Someone’s got to test it :wink:

I’m sure that someone will try it soon.

Sam

1 Like

That’s why I’m suggesting to ask the guys over at the alpha builds test section to do so directly, if there’s time :wink: