Videos with VC-1 Codec doesn´t play properly

I’m having the exact same problem with Jurassic Park (German Blu-ray MKV rip, using VC-1).

AQ going down constantly, resulting in audio dropouts
Playback at roughly half the normal speed/stuttering, normal when AQ is ok.

Settings are also:
Auto adjust refresh rate = enabled
Passthrough = enabled
Hardware decoding = enabled

I’m also using the Emby for Kodi Add-on.

Update: Found the details for the bitparser changes in Kodi 18:

Only seems to apply to Android’s MediaCodec.

Will investigate.

I’m wondering if anyone with some programming knowledge could create a script that forces VC1 encodes to play at 60Hz? Another poster created one which changed 4k 24fps titles to 60hz in order to work around the problems encountered by OLED owners.

Does playback at 60Hz definitely solve the problem?

Sam

Yep. Playback is perfect at 60hz with the usual caveats that apply to 24fps content at that output frequency. The slow motion effect is completely gone though. Even when you quit to the library view with the file playing in the background, it plays fine - I’m assuming this is because the menu is in 60hz

Okay – thanks for letting me know. I will also reply in some detail to @Paul_Solecki’s post

Sam

I also have this issue with Bluray ISO’s with the VC-1 codec, playing in slow motion and weird colors, especially when fast forwarding. Just to confirm: playback at 60hz (with adjust framerate turned off) solves the playback issue for me (fast forwarding still bit crazy with slow response and no normal video, but picks up fine after few seconds).

so far very happy with the Vero 4K, thanks for all the good & quick support!

Thanks for confirming that this issue only occurs when Adjust Refresh Rate is enabled.

Sam

There are now some further improvements which will be in the next update. VC-1 still needs a proper bitparser, but this will resolve most issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

How will those improvements be working without a parser? Just being curious here…

The improvements are frame-rate related. Some users have remarked that the video plays OK at 60Hz, but not with Adjust Refresh Rate.

I understand… So, an intermediate solution.

As Kodi v18 (and therefore the new VC-1 parser) is quite far away, might a backport of the new parser be in question?

The bitparser in v18 isn’t actually used yet; so there is nothing beneficial to backport. It is currently dead code.

Oh, I see… Didn’t know that. I just saw that a VC-1 bitparser is on the feature list for v18 over at the Kodi forum, so I thought it would already be present in alpha/beta releases.

Still funny why this feature has never been implemented before. Any thoughts why VC-1 was left aside till now, @sam_nazarko?

Because VC-1 is a format that is slowly disappearing; and not all devices need a bitparser. Even some VC-1 clips don’t need a bitparser if they have PTS timestamps for AML.

In reality Microsoft should not get off the hook so easily here from now years ago introducing a proprietary video format in VC-1

No wonder not many wanted to support yet another Microsoft video format that required license fees.

It has got to be one of the least damn compatible video compression formats out there. All sort of hardware platforms have issues with it.

Why idiot media companies ever decided it was a good idea to use a proprietary video format for some Blurays movies is anyones guess. Now media player developers are left to clean up the mess.

It really is easier just to Remux troublesome or non working rare VC-1 Rips into H.264 using PC software.

Hi wrxtasy, nice to see you active here too!

It really is easier just to Remux troublesome or non working rare VC-1 Rips into H.264 using PC software.

Yes, i thought about it. What would be the best way to find the problematic VC-1 rips in anyones collection? E.g. does MediaInfo show available PTS timestamps?
Is there any way to analyze multiple files at once?

Secondly, what is the best method to do a remux (with best i mean: keep everything absolutely the same, just replace VC-1 with the H.264 transcode) with a few clicks or a script.

Regards,
Burrito78

He gets around.
Rumour has it he likes well formatted forums too :wink:

A remux is when you keep video + audio as is and chuck it in a new container.
VC1 → H264 requires a transcode.

There would be a loss of quality here, but RF16 in Handbrake, and you probably won’t see it.

With that said: give latest staging repo a go. Things won’t get worse.

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

WMV9 is the really horrible stuff. Fortunately it is found nowhere other than 2006 HD demo clips.

1 Like

Just stumbled on this thread. I think this makes it the 3rd talking about the VC-1 problem, but the activity seems to be here rather than where I was contributing.

Just wanted to report that I’ve tested a fixed 60Hz refresh-rate on all of the titles I listed there. Definite improvement.

There is the slight judder in panning scenes that you expect from an incorrect refresh rate (I was originally delighted with the improvement you get from auto switch refresh rate - well worth the momentary delay when the TV switches mode) but none of the horror I’d seen otherwise.

I’ve tested the update issued above, but no dice I’m afraid.