Want to verify if Vero 4k Box is right for me

Hi,

I’m currently researching which Media Player best suits my needs.

I’ve tried Nvidia Shield but have some Problems with 25hz / 50hz Material.

So currently I’m back to my Raspberry Pi 3 with Krypton 17.6. It runs fine, BUT no HD Audio support and limited to 1080p.

What I need and just want to verify if Vero 4k is good for me:

-I only need Kodi, no Amazon App etc.
-4k Support
-HDR Support
-Audio Passthrough for HD Audio (DTS HD, Dolby HD, Atmos, Dts:x)
-Auto Framrateswitching 23,976/25/50hz
-Autoswitching 1080p/4k
-DVBViewer PVR Plugin with WOL via MAC-Address to DVBViewer Media Server
-Deinterlacing for 1080i 50hz German Television
-Flirc Support to use my Harmony 650

I’m thinking of getting Vero4k or Odroid C2 (I know its without HDR-support)

I thank you very much for taking the time to answer my thread :slight_smile:

BR
Sascha

-I only need Kodi, no Amazon App etc.
That is what you get with the Vero4k, it’s boots directly into Kodi with no Android cluttering

-4k Support
Ticked

-HDR Support
Ticked

-Audio Passthrough for HD Audio (DTS HD, Dolby HD, Atmos, Dts:x)
Ticked, but seems some Denon Amps have issues with DTS HD

-Auto Framrateswitching 23,976/25/50hz
Ticked

-Autoswitching 1080p/4k
Ticked

-DVBViewer PVR Plugin with WOL via MAC-Address to DVBViewer Media Server
If that works in Kodi it works on Vero4k.

-Deinterlacing for 1080i 50hz German Television
Ticked

-Flirc Support to use my Harmony 650
No need for Flirc, Vero4k comes with buildin IR support with also an extension receiver

He can of course still use the FLIRC though. Some choose to do this to avoid reconfiguring everything again.

It sounds like the Vero 4K will meet your requirements.

I have a FLIRC (from my RPI days). I used it for a while as I also wanted to use my Harmony but ended up using the IR receiver of the Vero. Works like a charm.

Thx for all the replies. Just placed my order today for the vero 4k Box. Hope to receive it soon.

Will get back to you guys to give you my feedback once I was able to test it.

How long does shipping to Germany take?

BR
Sascha

3-5 days after dispatch. Maybe a little longer because of holiday backlogs.

awesome…thx for your quick feedback.

I just played around with osmc on my raspi 3 and found 1 thing missing compared to the raspi 3 with librelec…but probably you know how to “fix” it.

The DVBViewer Plugin in OSMC is a bit older than the one in Libreelec. For my it is missing the WOL Feature I stated in my first post. Can I get the newer DVBViewer Plugin also in OSMC?

Its the version 2.4.14.1 in Libreelec and version 2.4.11 in OSMC.

Here some screenshots:

P.S.: Dont laugh about the color in Kodi (Libreelec). I’m doing everything that my wive loves my “hobby”… :slight_smile:

It will probably be updated automatically in Kodi 17.6 which will land this Sunday. If not, let me know and I’ll add it.

Sam

Still 2.4.11 in stretch-devel.

What does “Still 2.4.11 in stretch-devel.” mean? Is that your current beta release or something similar?

Can I extract the 2.4.14.1 from libreelec and move it to osmc

…as otherwise the connection to my dvb media server is lost after 15 min as it goes to sleep and osmc will not wake the server up again.

BR
Sascha

stretch-devel is the bleeding edge repository. This was just a message to Sam that we haven’t incorporated 2.4.14 yet.

I doubt you can use the LE binary. It would probably have to be one for the Odroid and even then no guarantees. If there are no wrinkles, it should be easy to get 2.4.14 into the next update.

As a workaround, can’t you just stop the server sleeping?

Hi,

Hope its possible for you to implement it as its a major function for me. Electricity ist expensive in Germany and IT does make an difference If the Server takes 2W during sleep or 50W when turned fully on.

So a workaround for some time yes…but not for always :slight_smile:

Thx alot for your effort. Cant wait to hold the vero4k in my hands …

BR
Sascha

Yes — we will be able to add it, but possibly not until next week

Sam

Hi Sam,

I received the Vero4k today and set it up as a replacement for my raspi3 running kodi 17.6 on libreelec. It is connected to a Pioneer VSX-932 via HDMI and then via HDMI to a Sony 55W905 1080p TV.

Framerateswitching etc. is working as also the Audio via HDMI as DTS-HD, etc.

So 1080p mkv’s with 23,976 Frames run fine.

My Problem is Live-TV via DVBViewer which is very choppy and unwatchable. Most of the German Channels broadcast as 1080i and some as 720p in 50hz. Both resolutions are choppy. I cant find out why as resolution switching is working correctly and Pioneer as well as the Sony TV show 50hz when watching Live-TV.

If I connect the Raspi3 to the same HDMI Cable and Networkcable it runs absolutely smooth.

I also tried a USB-GIgabit-LAN-Card which did NOT help.

Playback is very choppy and sometimes the load/buffer icon appears.

Of course I updated to the october update. Version is up-to-date.

As it is setup exactly the same as the Raspi3 concerning Kodi/OSMC Settings, I believe the Problem is somewhere else.

How can you help me/ What do you need from me? Logs?

BR
Sascha

Just created a log File: https://paste.osmc.tv/ozafevizal

Also tried to attach the Vero4k without the Pioneer directly to a TV. Also tried different HDMI Cable and other TV. I have Sony 55W905 1080p and Sony55XE7005 4k. For both its choppy :frowning:

There are some Live TV improvements coming on Sunday and a few more shortly after.

If you experience the problem with a recorded clip, please send it over and I’ll take a look

Sam

Hi Sam,

thx, no… all recorded clips run fine.

So I’ll have to wait until sunday? How do others currently watch Live-TV? It should work flawlessly I thought… :-/

BR

Works for me using TVheadend - SD and HD (1080i).

So I’ll have to wait until sunday? How do others currently watch Live-TV? It should work flawlessly I thought… :-/

Sorry, I can’t really help you. Have no experience wirh DVBviewer but with TVheadend it works without any problems.

The Live TV improvements are improvements to zapping speed etc. They are not necessarily what others would consider fixes.

If recordings are OK then the issue isn’t with the content itself or a Vero 4K playback problem, which is good.

Perhaps when we update the DVBViewer plugin the issue will be resolved

Sam

Hmm ok, so the Update on Sunday will probably not solve my problem.

Is the Image which is provided here the Version which will be released on sunday? http://download.osmc.tv/installers/diskimages/OSMC_TGT_vero3_20180103.img.gz

Currently its a deal breaker for me as we wanted to use the vero4k about 80% for Live-TV.

NvidiaShield w. Kodi, Pi3 w. Libreelec and WIndows PCs as clients run fine with the DVBViewer Server.

I’ll try to install OSMC on my spare Pi3 tomorrow to see how it runs there. My other Pi3 with Libreelec does have the newer version of the dvbviewer Add-On.

Please feel free to contact me once you have the new version available so I can test and provide feedback to you.

BR
Sascha