Which SD cards to buy?

I’ve seen a 16GB SD card in the OSMC store, but I’d rather buy it locally (without shipping costs and time) or even get a bigger one.

So what are the specifications for a SD card to be used in the Vero 4k? Is there a size limit?

Any good quality card should work fine. I’d suggest SanDisk (my personal favorite, never failed me yet) or Samsung. And the higher class cards will be faster. Depending on how you plan on using it, that may or may not be important to you.

As to size limit, I think it’s the size of the filesystem that you format the card with. For OSMC (linux) that would equate to no limit on card size, as no SD card has that much capacity :wink:

EDIT: I should also point out that the OSMC SD card has a lifetime warranty.

I use Sandisk and Samsung cards up to 128G.

Any card should work fine.
Our worldwide shipping starts at £0.99 now for smaller orders

Sam

Thanks for the info.

As to size limit, I think it’s the size of the filesystem that you format the card with. For OSMC (linux) that would equate to no limit on card size, as no SD card has that much capacity :wink:

Well, sometimes it rather looks like a HW issue and not a SW limit. Years ago I bought a camera and they only supported cards to a certain size, which had nothing to do with file system limits.

Our worldwide shipping starts at £0.99 now for smaller orders

It’s not necessarily the price, but the wait time and size. If I wanted to have it now (within 2 hours), I wouldn’t want to wait until it was shipped and delivered to me.

One more thing. The store says OSMC 16GB SD card. You should change this to OSMC 16GB microSD card.

Probably pre-dates SDXC. SDHC only goes up to 32G. Original SD cards only 2G.

It’s both - an adapter is included.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, just wanted to know the hardware spec of the micro sd slot as in what UHS version it supports, if any? I have a usb stick and a micro sd card both are 32GB and was wondering which would be faster to use. Thanks

Speeds will probably be similar for media.

Thanks Sam, I actually meant the spec of the SD card reader in the 4K itself, what speeds does it support? Class 10 10MB/s, UHS 1,2 or 3 30MBps 60MBps 90+MBps etc? Thanks

The highest supported mode is UHS-1 SDR at 104Mhz. The clock is derived from the SoC at 83Mhz so with a 4-bit data bus you will get a write speed of around 35-40MB/s.

Sam

Thanks very much, so faster than the USB 2.0 ports which would average ~21MBps

You can get 40MB/s over USB 2.0 with most pen drives that are USB 3.0.
Either method should work well for you.

Sam

Excuse thread necromancy :slight_smile: but is the card reader/writer in the Vero 4K+ identical to the one in the Vero 4K in performance terms?

Yes.

I just tested with this card: SDSQXCD-256G (SANDISK Extreme PRO microSDXC, 256GB, Class 10 U3, A2, V30), it seems the card is huge overkill for the reader, but still I cannot get even half of those quoted values for 35-40MB/s. Read. I ran “dd if=/path/to/microSD/testfile of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024 iflag=direct”

and I got
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 57.3175 s, 18.7 MB/s

The card is Ext4 formatted and mounted.

Maybe that is not the best test or is there something to be optimized?
The mount options are: ext4 defaults,noatime 0 0

What device are you using?

Hi Sam! I am using Vero4k +

You could test random write performance and I’m sure there are better tools for this. Maybe even hdparm will be better.