Zero W

We know the WiFi and BT won’t work on the current build until we push an update but the rest of the image should work ok.

No, that’s not what I’m suggesting. OSMC boots fine an my Zero W. WiFi and BT don’t work, as already stated in this thread. You mentioned that you know which firmware wil work, but that this version still has a bug that causes the BT not to work. I was inquiring if it wat possible to install the mentioned update myself, as I currently do not care for the BT, just the WiFi.

Thanx for your support

The issue with WiFi is that the firmware is not present, only for the Pi 3 image. That’s all. You can add it manually but you might just want to wait for us to add it in properly.

Any progress on a Zero w image or at least development ?

The image is the same as the normal Pi Zero image.

As mentioned previously, when we add support for WiFi, we will let you know and release it as an update. Thanks for your patience.

If anyone wants to try WiFi now, it would be much appreciated.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please let me know if it’s working as expected.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Please note that it may take up to an hour for these changes to reach your local mirror.

Cheers

Sam

Sam,

I don’t have a wifi dongle for my Raspberry Pi Zero W so I did this on my Raspberry Pi 1 and then swapped the micro SD card to my Raspberry Pi Zero W. Unfortunately, it did not work. :frowning:

Can you please post a full set of logs? It may provide us with some more information as to why it didn’t work.

1 Like

Can you point me to the location where I can find the logs?

Hi sam newbie here, Just tried to update it via your method above, however when I typed in “/etc/apt/sources.list” It said access denied. I logged in with the default osmc as the username and password. Im using the Pi Zero W so im not connected to Wifi.

You need to run the editor, i.e. sudo nano. You will need network connectivity temporarily to update.

Sam,

Full set of logs can be found here:

http://paste.osmc.io/tozomatili

Just tried the WiFi update.

and…

no change to the interface at all - no option to do anything with WiFi

Why would you want to use a wifi dongle with the Zero W - it has wifi built in.

Hi. Had the same experience with ohbecky.

1. first installed image 2017.02-2 on the zero W, smooth
  2. added new deb to sources.list
  3. placed SD into rPI 1 (yeah, I also don’t have a usb-to-lan around)
  4. did the update, went smooth
  5. placed SD in Zero W again, no Wireless setting in My OSMC

logs:
http://paste.osmc.io/opotixepis.coffee

Kind regards,
Jocoska

1 Like

The built in wifi for the Zero W doesn’t work yet for OSMC.

And…

I only made the changes today but didn’t have a chance to test them. I’ve booted up my Pi 3 (don’t have a Pi Zero W) to test that WiFi + BT remained functional on that device after installing the new updates.

I’ll look in to this soon.

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam,

Just tested and the wifi option isn’t showing under the network settings. I’ve used the log uploader in case there’s anything useful.

You need to provide the URL to the log