Zero W

Apologies Sam, the URL is http://paste.osmc.io/ukojecivoc

Ignore me i was talking complete rubbish - itā€™s been a long day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am trying to get it to workā€¦ not worried about WiFi or BT yetā€¦ I can get it to installā€¦ but then my screen goes black and I cannot figure it outā€¦ Rasbian runs fineā€¦ so its not a hardware or cable issueā€¦

I have a wifi dongle I can use with my pi zero W so I stared with a fresh image of the Febuary release of OSMC, added the entry to sources.list as the last line, apt-get update&&apt-get dist-upgrade&&reboot without the external wifi dongle.

Still can not see the built in WIFI after all that. I have uploaded logs to http://paste.osmc.io/jaqesaqogu. Note that I put the wifi dongle back in to upload the logs.

Have usb-eth dongle at work, hooked it up and are running the update right now through putty, previously i have loaded a fresh install of the latest install 2017.02-2 on my fresh out the box ZeroW.

after the update i shut down, unplugged the usb-eth dongle, plugged it back in and booted it into my monitor and wifi doesnt show up in the program setting only wired and mysql are showing in the gui.

i tried to use connmanctl to enable wifi but i get Error wifi: Method "SetProperty" with signature "sv" on interface "net.connman.technology" doesnt exist

log is here - http://paste.osmc.io/ejokehevij

This is the kind of edge case build that may benefit from a test image almost. One that you can just flash to the build and test if it works given the lack of connectivity options for people?

Might help more.

Either that or weā€™ll have to try a v install via qemu or something?

You wonā€™t be able to emulate the device, so QEMU isnā€™t really going to help.

We canā€™t produce a test image trivially (because we would have to push to release first as packages are grabbed from release) and it makes no sense to do so until it works, because most people are only interested in it working rather than troubleshooting why it doesnā€™t work.

Iā€™ll have it working soon, itā€™s just a case of being quite busy with the Vero 4K launch and us learning of the Zero W on launch day.

Iā€™ll let you know when I have something to test

You can emulate the image though right? Thought you may be able to manipulate it so you could install what wish then burn that to the SD.

Either way appreciate youā€™re busy so donā€™t worry - iā€™ll pick up a USB to RJ45 tomorrow and see what i can see. Donā€™t stress :slight_smile: Itā€™ll all be good

Cheers for your help Sam.

A

You can just mount it loopback and dpkg -i any packages needed, but what I have currently doesnā€™t seem to be working so itā€™s of no use testing

Stay tuned

WiFi is now working in staging.
BT works, but requires the service to be restarted (race condition). I suspect weā€™ll fix this tomorrow.

Cheers

Sam

WiFi and Bluetooth should now be working, with thanks to @DBMandrake for improving the way we configure Bluetooth significantly so that it works reliably.

You can either update using the staging instructions above, or you can grab two packages:

kernel
devicepackage

and run sudo dpkg -i *.deb and reboot. Iā€™d appreciate some feedback.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Dear Sam,

Much thanks for your quick followup !

I just successfully updated my OSCM using staging instructions you first mentionnedā€¦ Right now I still canā€™t see the Wireless option display in MyOSMCā€¦

I uploaded my logs in http://paste.osmc.io/ahiyagadus (thereā€™s a space between last slash and personal code?).

Donā€™t have anything else to explain, please consider I am a complete noob for OSMCā€¦ So anything I would need to add there, please let me know

Thank you.

Thanks, Iā€™ve found the last issue. There was no SDIO WiFi support in the Pi0/1 kernel as prior to 28th Feb, there were no devices that could utilise this.

Iā€™ve added support in the following commit:

Iā€™ll let you know when I have a new, updated kernel for testing.

Thanks for your patience

Sam

Iā€™ve updated my original post to include the two files now

Sam

Hi Sam,

I just tried it on my Pi Zero W, and after the update it will not boot.

It was a fresh install last night with an update and distilled-upgrade done last night. and the two files added this morning.

I will try again with a fresh install later today in case something had changed overnight.

Kevin

# UPDATED #

Hi Sam,

I tried to options:

1. From my ā€œup-to-dateā€ state I simply dpkg -i the updated kernel pacakge, then reboot. As a result I had an unresponsive OSMC, that coiuld not boot at all (same as kh777 mentioned)

2. From a fresh install (build 2017.02.2 for RPi Zero), then add the devel rep within the sources list, then perform both an apt-get update and dist-upgrade, then reboot. As a result I have a responsive OSMC, but still, without the Wireless option available in MyOSMC.

In this case, I uploaded the logs in http://paste.osmc.io/buwetovusu

Hope this helps, Thank you.

Hi,

I got an error while trying to update. The error occurred updating rpb1-device-osmc_1.1.17_armhf.deb. The logs are here http://paste.osmc.io/yebiqanicu. Ive previously updated the 2017.02.2 build to try the wifi and Bluetooth on the pi zero w. Hope this helps.

What did you see?

Ideally Iā€™d like to get this resolved by tomorrow so it can be put in to Marchā€™s update, otherwise weā€™ll have to wait until at least April for working WiFi on the Zero.

Unfortunately, itā€™s proving hard for me to resolve this issue without a Pi Zero W at hand. If anyone can port forward SSH with an Ethernet adapter and PM me details, this would be helpful.

Cheers

Sam

Dear Sam,

I actually saw nothingā€¦ Aka, black screen.

I can forward SSH port to my RPi if youā€™d like to, but in this case Iā€™d like to limit the access to your public IP, I normally never open on such a port. Please tell me if this could work for you in PM.

Thank you.

Can you try another dist-upgrade on jessie-devel and confirm if itā€™s working as expected now?

It might take an hour or so for the update to reach your local mirror.

Cheers

Sam