Zero W

Hi - some notes:

(1) I can confirm wifi is working fine for me with the code in the devel repo.

(2) I tried to test the Bluetooth by making both my laptop and tablet discoverable. They were able to see each other immediately but the Pi didn’t see them until I brought them to about a foot away. Possible power issue?

(3) After connecting to my wifi I was able to ssh into the 0w without issue, but OSMC couldn’t see the minidlna on my other Pi under “UPnP Devices” until after I rebooted the 0w.

(4) Sam’s suggestion that that devel repo should be removed from the sources.list immediately after the update fouled me up when installing RetroPie later that night. I guess it has some dependencies that need to match the versions of some packages that got installed as part of the update. Soooo I’m thinking maybe keep it in place while you’re running this unofficial/devel update, but then take it out in a few days when the official update comes out…

Thanks for confirming and testing that it’s working as expected.

I don’t think there are power issues: but you may experience a limited range. If there are improvements to be had in software they will reach OSMC soon anyway.

I’ve explained what I think may have happened on the Facebook comment on our page, but in case others are interested:

UPnP sends a discovery packet to 239.255.255.250 on port 1900 (UDP) when a device connects to the network. All devices are then expected to respond, hence discovery. It’s possible that after connecting your WiFi, Kodi doesn’t send that UDP discovery packet. Kodi has some knowledge of network connectivity, but it’s not subscribed to events from our network manager, ConnMan. I suspect Kodi only checks for connectivity at the start and if it’s there, then sends that discovery packet.

Fascinating stuff. You’d think they’d send out a discovery packet when the “Browse UPnP” function is loaded, regardless of whether or not there was a network change event.

They might do, and it might just not work as expected. I advise against auto-discovery as some routers have different rules for handling broadcast packets; particularly if you have a mixture of WiFi and Wired connections on the network.

My router runs Shibby TomatoUSB and the 0 is the only wireless device that regularly talks to the DLNA server, unless you count the Kore app. Everything else is either wired up directly or over powerline ethernet.

And it’s been working perfectly since the first reboot.

Just updated and now my Pi Zero W has BT and WiFi - Yay! Thanks!

Tested a BT keyboard and WiFi without issues with the exception of HDMI dropouts which seem to correlate to the amount of load on the system/WiFi. Sometimes just pops in the audio(HDMI) although the entire screen blanks at times. Watched a 720p H.264 video via SMB and audio had a pop every minute or two but no screen dropouts. When transferring a large amount of data via SMB while playback of MP3, the audio was mostly unusable and more than several screen blanks in 5 minutes. Tested with BT enable and disabled - same results.

Regardless still a great update and very usable, much thanks! Just wanted to give a little feedback.

Check your power supply.

Should’ve checked that, sorry. Pops and blanks gone. Using 5v 1.5A output from LCD driver board and thought I could get away with not putting a cap in the circuit, should’ve known better. Didn’t have the issue when using a USB WiFi adapter, that’s why I didn’t think of it.

Thanks again!

@sam_nazarko do you know when we will find the new disk image to make a clean install of OSMC with working BT+WiFi? Thanks a lot!

When it’s ready

Thanks for your patience

Thanks

2 Likes

I am about to download the latest image… Sam, Thanks for your help on the Zero… I know you put alot of time into it and dealt with alot of people’s complaints… just wanted to show my gratitude…

Kody

2 Likes

Cheers. We want to make OSMC as good as it can be for everyone.

Sam

have not had a chance to run it yet… but is sounds like the 2017-3-1 update fixed the issues???

Kody

The latest image on the website should have working WiFi and BT out of the box.

I can confirm the latest release is working as expected, thank you again for time and effort Sam

I too can confirm that OSMC is running with WiFi and BT on my Zero W… and I was also able to use KORE as a remote…

Thanks Sam,

Kody

thanks sam

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.