25fps content starts playback at 25fps then switches to 50fps

I’ve got a fresh install of OSCMC 2018.06-1 on Vero 4k to watch live TV in UK with a Remote Tvheadend backend.

When watching TV, if I change channels, the content is initially played back at 25fps and then changes to 50fps after about one second. The change in framerate causes a blank screen on my TV which lasts a couple of seconds. This gets very annoying when channel surfing.
Could the content being interlaced be throwing off the fps algorithm?

I’ve looked at Topic 38383 and Topic 38128 which may have similar underlying causes.

Here’s the logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/efuhiyanop

How can I stop this from happening without de-whitelisting either the 25fps or 50 fps frame rates.

Did you try changing ‘Adjust Refresh Rate’ to At Start/Stop instead of Always?

I did and it makes no difference.

I do think you need to restart for the change to take effect.

Still no difference after restarting.

I’ve found a way around which minimises the number of resolution changes to a level I can live with for general broadcast TV use but does not address the underlying problem.

Settings → System → display

• Whitelist - deselect 1920x1080 @ 25.00 and 1920x1080 @ 30.00, select all all other supported resolutions 1080 and above including 4096x2160 @ 25 and 4096x2160 @ 30.
  • Resolution – 1920x1080 (Kodi Default)
  • Refresh Rate – 50.00 (Kodi Default is 60.00 but most of my content is 25/50)
    Videos with resolution not on whitelist get sent to TV at Kodi’s default resolution

Settings → Player → Videos

• Adjust display refresh rate – on start/stop

For broadcast 4k content playback still starts at 25fps then switches to 50fps. When I remove 4096x2160 @ 25 from the whitelist I just get a blank screen instead of getting play back at 50fps. I can live with this for now as there are not many 4k broadcast channels at the moment.

Wow. I didn’t know there were any!

1 Like

typo fixed. many

I was hoping you could point me to where to find these. You mean on the internet or are there UHF broadcasts in your area?

broadcast 4k UHD / HDR channels are available on Satellite. See link for list of Free To Air (unencrypted) 4k UHD / HDR Channels.

http://en.satexpat.com/4k/

1 Like

You mention whitelisting resolutions which you may be running a Kodi v18 nightly. Is this correct?

I’m running the latest [TESTING] Kodi 18 (Leia) builds for Vero 2 & 4K.

Logs linked in my previous message above.

I think this option is still a bit experimental

Sam