3D Frame Packed output

I think that must be the first build as the second build definitely does flip eyes

Tried autofs OS mount for over 2 hours, but failing miserably. Created new thread here; help appreciated :).

Update: Got it working, thanks to @fzinken.

Thanks Matt. I was thinking that too. However, considering Graham indicated that the way to confirm that it is the latest build is that, after the apt-get update and apt-get dist upgrade, i do the wget thing again, and I did that, then I must have the latest build and for some other reason the flip-eyes isn’t working for me. perhaps someone can look at the logs and let me know why.

Can you upload a debug log?
There will be a new build imminently

Sam

Hi Sam. If you’re referring to my issue, I uploaded a debug log in my post (i think #179). good to know that there will be a new build coming out soon.

Just got an update notification and did the update. Looks like it killed 3D functionality. I assume this wasn’t the imminent 3D one? Redo command line up top?

Yes, redo command line.

After you have installed the latest 3D build I suggest that you take out the devel repository from your apt-sources to avoid this conflict.

You’re really using the first build:

2019-09-05 15:46:15.948 T:4068892672  NOTICE: Kodi compiled 2019-08-07 by GCC 6.3.0 for Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit version 4.9.110 (264558)

Your log shows that the compilation date was 2019-08-07, so it is the first build. You should get the current one if you follow the instructions in the first post. Or you just wait a couple of days until the next build will be available.

This is the test pattern: MEGA
Pay attention to the alphabets and the vertical and horizontal bars. If you see “gray” lines in the vertical resolution boxes, then it is an indication that either the playing device or the display is not showing full 1080p resolution in 3D mode.

2 Likes

Thanks @wesk05. Are you okay w/me adding your link to Kodi a/v test samples wiki?

You mentioned that none of the players, including Oppo 205, perfectly matched the source frame, but with MVC, there’s image shifting going on constantly. Here’s an example from Ant-Man 2…

I’m guessing this isn’t what you meant?

I’m not sure I understand that. Could you clarify?

The image shifting, or almost a bit of windowboxing, is noticeable when watching MVC 3D in 2D mode. Pick any MVC 3D file and play on your PC using MPC-HC or similar. Think it’s part of what provides the 3D effect in 3D mode.

So you’re judging this simply by eye, yes…?

The obvious problem there is the TV’s scaling algorithm. If we’re talking about a passive 4K display, then each frame for each eye has to be horizontally upscaled and displayed as 3840x1080. The upscaling algorithm is unlikely to be a simple nearest-neighbour or “column doubling” approach; it will probably use at least bilinear interpolation or something better; which means a pattern of alternating black and white pixels will inevitably get smoothed out (but a real image may look better then it would do with nearest-neighbour scaling).

This seems to be roughly what’s happening on my LG G6: the horizontal lines are clear (because there’s no vertical scaling) but the vertical lines seem blurred.

A 4K display with active 3D would scale both horizontally and vertically. A 1080p passive 3D display doesn’t scale but loses half the vertical resolution. A 1080p display with active 3D might be able to display it unscaled, but there are other possible issues too - I seem to recall my old Panasonic VT65 had some loss of vertical resolution in 3D mode, for example.

And if there’s visible cross-talk that will make the pattern harder to analyse.

All in all, I think this is going to be more affected by the television than it is by the source, and particularly by the TV’s scaling.

@tanio99 If you want to try something cool, how about adding an output mode where the image is displayed TAB/OU, but in 4K resolution rather than 1080p, and with the option to switch between nearest neighbour and bilinear algorithms for the horizontal scaling? I don’t know if my TV could correctly recognise that pattern, but it would be interesting to find out, and would (maybe?) be able to render the test pattern correctly.

Another interesting option (though probably insanely difficult!) would be to output the image as 4K with alternate rows of pixels coming from left- and right-eye frames, so you’re constructing a 2D image which matches what the TV will convert frame-packed input into (assuming a passive 4K display). Might cause calibration issues, of course…

Nope.

This is feature creep on an unprecedented scale. Let’s get 3D MVC done so we can move on to the other things you want to nag us about.

When we discussed outputting as 4K as a compromise re. 3D MVC not being available, we were told it wasn’t suitable.

Our goal now is just for 1080p FP and that’s that.

S

4 Likes

The Blackmagic DeckLink cards that I have can capture each eye separately. I then analyzed left and right frames with the original source frames.

You will be judging it simply by eyes and that’s why I mentioned display as a variable in my comment.

Yes, you can add to the Kodi A/V wiki.

I may have been wrong on that comment. I rechecked RPi 2 output and it is near perfect match.

I think both options are doable, although I don’t know if it’s possible to select a specific scaling algorithm. But as Sam said:

When is the next build likely to land? I’d like to test this myself, but if a new build is just about to be released I’ll wait until it’s out.

I’ll push a new build tomorrow evening

As you posted that at around 3am on Monday morning, I’m not sure if “tomorrow” means Monday or Tuesday. :slight_smile: