3D Frame Packed output

On your next build Is there a way you can release a hot fix (I think it’s called that) to download the 3D version of your OS? For those of us that want to try it out but don’t fully understand how to get it at present? Or does a hot fix does not work in that way.

I used it once to fix a banding issue.

1 Like

I don’t know about everybody else, but I’d quite like it if the version stamp on the next test build were slightly higher than the corresponding 2D build, so it doesn’t get automatically replaced by the mainstream version if I leave automatic updates turned on.

Sure

That’s not ideal – we don’t want people stuck on unknown versions.

I see that, but you can’t install the 3D build in the first place unless you do so deliberately. It would certainly make sense for the next mainstream build to replace the previous 3D build automatically, but it still seems like a 3D build shouldn’t automatically be replaced by what is actually an older 2D build.

For example, suppose you produce a new mainstream release, and call it version M7. Then you do a new 3D test build based on M7, and call it 3D7. A few weeks later there’s a new mainstream release; that might be tagged as M8.

What I’m suggesting is that 3D7 should automatically update to M8, but that it should not automatically “update” back to M7. At the moment a 3D build automatically “updates” to an earlier mainstream build if automatic updates are on.

The versioning system doesn’t work like that, and it can’t update to an older build without command line use. We use a consecutive versioning scheme, and we can only move forwards, not backwards, with version numbers.

It will still grab newer versions. If you don’t want a build to be superseded, you can use apt mark hold to hold back the package.

Well, I dunno, man, all I do know is that when you guys produce a new mainstream release, and then release a new 3D test build a few days later, and I install the 3D test build but leave auto-update turned on, it invariably “updates” me back to the mainstream release, even though it came out earlier. That seems weird to me.

That cannot happen. APT will only install newer packages when updating.
For the last few releases, I’ve intentionally released the 3D package after the stable update to prevent user confusion. But as expected, we will always update to newer releases when they are made available; but it is not possible for OSMC to install an older release, unless you specified it manually via the command line.

Hello all

Still continuing to test the 3D build. I encountered for the first time the issue discussed in “KNOW ISSUES” about some NTSC not being well played. And i can confirm that disabling the auto framerate makes the file being played well.

Is this issue planned to be solved or by passed ?

Considering the macroblocking : i confirm i can notice it sometimes on some files. But nothing for now being too problematic.

And another strange issue i encountered on some files (seems to be with non 3d x265 files) not all but some of them makes the osd being like a little shaky and looks like deinterlaced (only noticeable on the osd).

I’m not sure if this is a known bug and if it is related to the 3d build or not. I can provide some media info and else if you were not aware of this issue.

Finally : do you have any idea when will be available the first 4.19 3d build ?

Regards

We have solved the issue in our 4.9 kernel by re-working the frame ordering.

Do you also experience this with Live TV?

I do not use live TV. But i can perform a test. For now i only experienced that on some TVSHOWS. And not sure because i only started to investiguate it seems to be x265 files (not all of them). And as always before talking about an issue i tested on other platforms such as my windows PC and the issue is not there.

If this is not an issue you are aware of. I can provide details and debugging and open a topic for that. (because i’m not totally sure it is related to the 3d build. Will test the normal build tonight

Just tested by installing last non 3d build and i can confirm that even if the issue as nothing to do with 3d file. It IS related to the 3d build as for the same files the osd is shaky on the 3d build it isnt on the non 3d build

Great news ! And good work ;). Any plan on a 3dbuild 4.19 test for Vero 4k+ ?

Thanks for letting us know.

To clarify: we are releasing 4.9; not 4.19. We will indeed support 3D.

Sam

Yes i made the mistake twice. Its obviously 4.9 as you mentioned

What’s the status on the “no 3D from .iso” that happened in the last build?

That has been fixed.

Hi
Been following this thread for a while. I apologise if you have already answered the questions I will pose:
Does forced subtitles work on 3D
When will the 3D functionality be incorporated into the main releases of OSMC
Does 3D work with both mkv and iso files
Does auto-switching to 3D and back to 2D (when 3D playback is stopped or finishes) work

I have been waiting about 3 years for a player that can do 3D/2D with forced subtitles - if the Vero 4K can do this I think you’ll clean up and I’ll be buying a number of them right away!!
Thanks

Hello

Subtitle : yes
Mkv and ISO : yes the current build has a bug with ISO but both are supposed to be handled
Auto switching : yes

Concerning the date of release ; i’ll let @sam_nazarko answer

It will be released officially when it’s stable. For now you can always run the test builds.

Sam

Thank you for the 3D integration of the Vero 4K. But when will the new 3D update appear? I miss the iso function. I am considering downgrading to the July update if it takes longer. Thanks for the great work and an answer.

I will push a new package in a couple of hours.