3D Frame Packed output

I meant converting to mkv rather than remuxing. They started off working fine but playback has become choppy now, no issues playing 4k files so it cant be a bandwidth problem.

@rbronco2 Are you able to play 3d iso’s through emby?

In what way are those two things different?

I’m following a very simple workflow so I haven’t gotten into all the options. I thought remuxing was more complicated and involved conversions and compressions and all that.

I don’t use any of emby’s streaming options, I want the original file played. I don’t know if you allow emby to do any compression with its stream, but if so, maybe it has an iso issue.

“Remuxing” means keeping all of the original video and audio data completely untouched, but putting them into a different container format. If you’re increasing the compression that’s called “transcoding”.

It appears I was correct in my first statement. rbronco21 confused me by asking why I was remuxing.

When will be ready 3D MVC build?

I think Sam has a policy of not answering questions like that - that way, when something unexpected happens and it causes delays, people don’t get so angry.

I’m not an OSMC person, so this is pure guesswork on my part, but I suspect a final, official release won’t come out for a while, yet. Everyone seems to be working hard on getting the v4.9 kernel up and running right now; and there’s a long list of issues with the existing 3D test builds, at least one of which can’t be fixed until the SoC manufacturer makes some changes to the microcode.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

Can you elaborate on the 3D issue that can’t be fixed - ordered a Vero 4k+ as thought 3D was working fine now :frowning:

I didn’t say it can’t be fixed, merely that it can’t be fixed by the OSMC team in isolation. According to Sam, they need to wait for some updated microcode from Amlogic. The issue has been mentioned several times in this thread - on some titles you get occasional pulses of macro-blocking.

See this post.

you don’t have to be frighten by that. Those are quite specific issues. I watch with my familly around 2 3D movies a week with my vero 4K and it plays quite flawlessly :wink:

Thanks @angry.sardine and @sarakha63 for your replies.

Looking forward to testing this box - the biggest test for any media player that offers 3D (in my opinion) is that it plays the iso of Avatar 2D/3D and can display forced subtitles automagically in both versions. If that works then I will be buying many more of these boxes…

i’m pretty sure the test will succeed ;). But be aware that 3d implementation is still work in progress. Even tough it works pretty well on most files

@tanio99, have you checked to see if, when rendering 3D subtitles, the Vero is correctly positioning them in terms of depth?

There’s a central setting (under Settings/Player/Language) that controls subtitle depth, and it looks as if that’s the only thing the Vero pays attention to - all subtitles are displayed at that depth, with no variation.

I’m not certain there’s an issue, here. My understanding is that on 3D blu rays different subtitles can be displayed at different depths (to avoid being displayed “behind” the film image). But my understanding could be wrong; and I’m also not sure how many 3D disks actually do this.

There’s a video on the Kodi samples page whose title suggests it might be helpful - 3D Subs in 3D ISO Sample - but again I’m not certain if its subtitles are supposed to be variable-depth.

@hdmkv do you know that…?

I don’t have a 2D version of Avatar handy, but it plays the 3D ISO okay, and forced subtitles work.

Sorry, no. I haven’t had time yet to play around with subtitles. I’m just fixing the subtitle issues you’re finding :wink: .

1 Like

Looking back through the thread, I’m actually not the first person to suspect an issue with subtitle depth: (see here). So, consider that one “found”. :slight_smile:

Talking of subtitles, I notice the problem of displaying 4K 2D PGS subtitles shrunk and in the top left quadrant of the screen has made it into the 4.9 test build. I’m sure that’s already on your list but I had a thought about that…

The issue presumably happens because the dimensions of the subtitle image are 1920x1080, while the video is 3840x2160, and the subtitles are currently being rendered in a 1920x1080 rectangle instead of 3840x2160. The fix presumably involves correcting the dimensions of the rectangle the subtitles are displayed in. But correcting them to what?

The obvious solution would be to use the dimensions of the whole screen; but I wondered if you could instead use the dimensions of the “window” the video is being rendered in? If the video is being played full screen, those two rectangles will be the same; but in the case where the video has smaller dimensions than the screen (e.g. a small video played at 1080p with View Mode set to “Original Size”) this would automatically scale the subtitles along with the video, and keep them displayed within the video image. Kodi behaviour at the moment is to display them far too large and below the picture. If it’s simply a question of picking one pair of numbers over the other, this seems like the better choice to me.

Ok, then I consider it as “found” :slight_smile:

You’re right. It’s a scaling issue. I’ve fixed that a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, the fix did not make it into the testbuilds yet.

Which rectangle did you choose to render the subtitles in - screen or video window?

To be honest: neither of them … I’ve just fixed a bug which I’ve introduced when I tried to fix the first subtitle issue you’ve reported (wrong position of some subtitles) :slight_smile: . I haven’t looked in detail how Kodi does the scaling.