3D Frame Packed output

I believe it’s just MVC files. In my case, all of my 3D movies are MVC as I’ve ripped them from my disc collection, but if you’ve got the option of playing those back as TAB/SBS that should work fine.

The pi 3 uses a different chip and works flawlessly for 3D, but it can’t output bitstreamed audio, so if you’ve got a Dolby Atmos DTSX movie, or a receiver that upmixes, you won’t have an ideal audio experience, but for many people that’s a non-issue.

Pi4 is apparently capable of 3D MVC and full HD audio bitstreaming, but the development of the 3D capability hasn’t really happened thus far.

I think your TV has settings based upon input but even if it does “just scan” is the prefered option for anything that does not require overscan. Any video modes you calibrated to squeeze them into the viewable area will have a black border and you want no overscan and no calibration so your viewing at best quality.

Ok, thanks! I found this setting in my TV and turned it on. when i went into the overscan calibration on the Vero it showed 0/0 so it is not retaining the setting I put in earlier. that may be on purpose, but in any case all is well, thank you!

I have more TAB/SBS content currently because before I discovered LibreELEC that was the only option I had for 3D without putting in a physical disk. I had about 50 movies ALSO ripped in MVC, but I am in the process of ripping the rest now that I have a way to play them!

Yes, I have used the Pi3 with LibreELEC off and on for a few years now. It works, but the elusive “dream streamer” was still the goal. I usually just watched TAB/SBS versions on my Shield or Roku just because I didn’t feel like switches devices…

Yep. I have run LibreELEC on a Pi4 and it works fine, but no MVC yet. I’m sure Sam has the same issue, but my understanding is that it has something to do with the video drivers which won’t be updated appropriately until Rasbian is based on the v5.X Linux kernel…or something to that effect.

Raspbian already uses a 5.4x kernel. The kernel version doesn’t matter.

What matters is an appropriate V4L2 interface, which hasn’t been defined yet.

This is why seeking and proper HDR 10-bit isn’t supported on the Pi yet

1 Like

Whatever you just you said…that’s why you’re the developer and I’m just the consumer…:wink:

Working on vero3-mediacenter-osmc=18.8.0-2 and kernel 4.9.113-22-osmc

I noticed a strange behavior the other day. If I go into my 3D-MVC library, select a movie and play the trailer it works. However, once the trailer is over it loses video. It is just a black screen, it doesn’t go back to the main movie page and I can’t get it to return.

I don’t lose audio and in fact I can hear the menu sounds when I push remote buttons. However, I can’t recover the video signal. The only way I can get it back is to literally unplug the power from the Vero and restart it. Theoretically I’m sure I could reboot it via menu since it isn’t locked up, but since I can’t see the screen I have no way to navigate to the power menu.

To be clear, I use my Vero via the Plex for Kodi add-on and play from my Plex server. Other than this little annoying thing it works flawlessly!

Any thoughts on this? Not sure if it’s something in the latest build or an “expected” behavior somehow and I just never tried it before!

Rig as follows:
QNAP NAS → NFS → Vero 4K+ → HDMI → Marantz SR6009 → HDMI → Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 (Plasma 3D TV)
First run of frame packed were encoded using cloneBD. Massive pixelating and was able to isolate it to the right eye frame missing data. Left eye frame was fine. File size ~22GB with passthrough DTS-MA audio track. Re encoded using lossless with cloneBD, and that plays beautifully. Resultant file size ~33GB. I’ve encoded Gravity, Star Trek Beyond, Blade Runner 2049, & many more at this point. The KODI client is definitely a powerful player. I have a PLEX server as well, but thinking about using Emby and the Emby/KODI integration (Would like to maintain centralized metadata). Was reading that this integration could be preferrable to PLEX.

Check out Media Info:

“MediaInfo provides easy access to technical and tag information about video and audio files.
Except the Mac App Store graphical user interface, it is open-source software, which means that it is free of charge to the end user and developers have freedom to study, to improve and to redistribute the program (BSD license)”

1 Like

This sounds very much like it’s somehow switching to FP output after the trailer and as the GUI is probably set to 50fps or 60fps, the TV can’t work with the signal it gets - only very few devices support FP at any framerate higher than 24fps at 1080p. @tanio99, didn’t you work on an issue where the trailer of an MVC movie somehow didn’t play correctly? Maybe some fallout that remained?

Basically, as always:

• reboot
  • reproduce
  • send logs

That issue is still on my todo list (you know why :wink: ). It might be related to that one here, but I need logs.

1 Like

I remember :see_no_evil: :rofl:

I use this daily…:wink:

Can I do that via SSH?

I don’t compress my MVC at all…ever. To me that is the main point of using MVC compared to TAB/SBS. I know compressed MVC might still be a bit better than half-res, but the fact it is completely untouched and identical to the original source is the value-add for me.

Sometimes I use MakeMKV as well, but that is primarily due to the fact that CloneBD doesn’t allow you to extract multiple audio streams from the MA track like MakeMKV does.

Yep, just ssh to your vero and then run grab-logs -A. And then post the URL.

This is a new area for me, was using SBS with PLEX for a long time, and their new player pretty much killed that. The KODI player completely blows PLEX’s player out of the water, and the fact that the OSMC devs are maintaining and moving the MVC format forward is nice. The difference in playback is worth the extra space, the SBS files were not as bright, didn’t notice until the lossless played.
When you say multiple audio streams in the MA track, what sorts of streams are you manipulating? just curious where that goes.

Hmmm…this didn’t give me any specific URL:

If I go to the URL it lists in the scfreenshot I get a blank screen that appears to be an online editor. No specific URL to MY logs.