3D Frame Packed output

I’ve tested this here now… With both an online YT trailer and a locally stored one following the Kodi naming guidelines:

1. I never get a black screen in any instance.
  2. With the YT trailer everything works fine. The trailer is always played back in 2D and the movie in 3D without issues.
  3. The locally played trailer works, IF I don’t have the .MVC tag in both the movie’s and the trailer’s filename. If the tag is present, the video player switches into 3D mode for the trailer playback and the image is garbled - but it also switches back to the 2D GUI without issues.

From what I can see here, the issue is clearly connected to the .MVC filename tag. The black screen issue I can’t reproduce. One idea: Have you set Disable stereoscopic 3D mode after playback ended under Settings/Player/Videos, @KaraokeAmerica?
Or it’s simply Plex related - which is not something completely out of the world as Plex has given us some headaches before already.

Of course! I’m going to have to re-learn how to do that in LE though.

Thing is that it is working already in OSMC on the Pi3 as well even using the PfK add-on. The only place I see this is on the Vero4K+ if that matters.

A log from OSMC on Pi 3 would also be handy and no need for an LE log then.

1 Like

Sorry for the screenshot. My system and my computers are in different rooms.

What I did here was turn on debugging, play the trailer of a 3D-MVC movie, wait for it to go back to the title page (which it did fine) then start the actual movie…which it also did fine. Then I sent the logs and turned debugging back off.

Hi, I’ve just update my vero 4k to latest fw 1.10.2020 but no 3D MVC working yet. Do I have to go with buster or just wait for a surprise?

You would need to install the 4.9-kernel test build.

Is it possible to adjust subtitle depth when playing 3d mvc? Im using srt text file and have set the subtitle depth to 10 in player settings but it doesnt seem effective like in sbs. Im using 4.9 and 18.0.0-4

If you’re able to use the PGS subtitle track from the original disc, they will be displayed at variable depth, in a way that the author of the disc determined is appropriate.

2 Likes

Thank you! So it is techincally impossible to add any depth to srt if the file is 3d mvc?

I know the subtitle depth setting used to affect .srt subtitles, but I don’t know what the current status of that is.

Let’s page @tanio99 and see what he has to say. :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t know it either :joy: … I’ll have to look at the code. IIRC we’re using the depth info from the MVC stream. I think we ignore the subtitle depth setting for MVC streams, but I’m not sure. I could be wrong @angry.sardine, but I think we discussed the subtitle depth implementation some months ago and we did not consider that someone would use .srt subtitles instead of the pgs ones?

If PGS subtitles are available, I imagine they would be used; but they might not be. For example, the user might not be a native English speaker, and there might not be subtitles in his language on the disc; but there might be downloadable .srt subtitles available in his language. I don’t think one should exclude the possibility of .srt being used.

I think a sensible approach would be to ignore the subtitle depth setting if the user is using 3D PGS subtitles, but to make use of the setting if the subtitles are .srt (and display them at the specified fixed depth in the .srt case).

P.S. One could make a case for using subtitle plane information with .srt subs if that info is available; but .srt subs are always displayed in the same place on the screen, while PGS subs aren’t; so you can’t necessarily trust depth data intended for PGS if you’re actually using .srt. So, off the top of my head, displaying at fixed depth may be the best I think displaying at fixed depth may be the best option for .srt subs.

Do we know of any players that support this? I’m apprehensive about feature creep for a non standard, as well as the pains of supporting something that has no standard.

Sam

Support what, exactly?

The thing is that only some discs has subtitles in my language. In srt they are widely available.

Before I have used srt with sbs and tab movies and I have been very grateful because the depth adjust works great. But now when vero supports mvc it would be fantastic if it would also support depth adjustment for 3d mvcs.

Thank you

I understand your point. I’ll have a look at the code. From the top of my head I can’t tell if I have the info about which kind of subtitles are used when the depth is being calculated. If that info is available then it will be an easy fix.

2 Likes

I have problems with playing 3d MVC IOSs. Wich settings are the correct ones to make? Is it hardware? Adjust frequency on start/stop?

I’ve updated to the test stack.

I try to play it on my Xiaomi Mijia 4k Laser projector (Chinese edition) wich should be able to handle the FP video. It doesn’t enable 3D automatically you need to enable it manually.

When connecting through my reciever I get a black screen when starting a FP video and when connecting directly to the PJ the pictures just hangs on the loading screen. Booth need to be rebooted by pulling the plug.

Here is my log: https://paste.osmc.tv/urahogosic

I hope someone can help me sort this out.

Thanks!

Hi,

first of all you need to activate debug logging (see: How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC). Then reboot, reproduce the issue and then send us the logs. What I can see from the current logs you’ve posted above is, that the 3D/FP resolutions are somewhat limited:

2020-10-28 17:33:36.358 T:4069449744   ERROR: GetString: error reading /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/disp_cap_3d
2020-10-28 17:33:36.358 T:4069449744  NOTICE: Found 3D resolution 1280 x 1470 with 1280 x 720 @ 50.000000 (FP)
2020-10-28 17:33:36.358 T:4069449744  NOTICE: Found 3D resolution 1280 x 1470 with 1280 x 720 @ 60.000000 (FP)
2020-10-28 17:33:36.358 T:4069449744  NOTICE: Found 3D resolution 1280 x 1470 with 1280 x 720 @ 59.940060 (FP)

Since I don’t have any device which supports these resolutions I haven’t tested them.

Now I connected the Vero directly to the PJ. Booted it up and started a FP movie, it crashed. Pulled the plug booted it again,. This is the log I got then:

https://paste.osmc.tv/qagihabeno

I hope that helps.