Analogue TV

Hello,
Can anybody comment whether Vero 4k (or other Vero boxes) can be connected to an analogue TV ?

many thanks

You’d need a HDMI->Analog (composite/s-video) converter but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. You could probably buy something cheaper though if you’re just going for SD material.

thanks Martorias.

The unit would mostly be connected to Sony TV with HDMI connection, so that would be ok.

But we would occasionally like to connect it to one of two older analogue TV’s at another location; hence my question.

The unit has a CVBS output. We recently added some basic analogue output support to Kodi. This will give you 480/576p out but needs further testing. There aren’t a lot of analogue out users as you can imagine.

The converter proposed by @Martorias should also work.

Therefore, can I conclude that the Vero 4k does not have a direct analogue output ?

It does have an analogue output (CVBS). It is located on the back of the device. There were some patches in the June update to improve output quality.

Buried in this thread is a discussion on the sort of plug you need.

When mine arrives :no_mouth:I’m going to do some testing on the analogue outputs

Martorias, Sam, and Grahamh,

many thanks for your helpful and speedy advice.

kind regards

After some delay I have recently bought my Vero 4k.

I am trying to connect it to an old CRT TV which only has scart and component input (coloured yellow red and white).

So, thanking you for your earlier advice I went and bought (2) special cables (Nokia CA 75u).

I noted the pin layout requirements for Vero ( OSMC Vero 4K : Analogue Output Quality? - #8 by sam_nazarko )

I noted that the Nokia ca75u pin layout was different ( Nokia CA-75U / Sony Ericsson IM700 AV (TV Out) Cable pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com ), and believed that it would still work if I just plugged the colour coded cable leads into different coloured sockets on the TV.

However when I connect everything up I get nothing on the TV (using the second 3.5 connector on the Vero (nearest the ethernet socket)). I have swapped the colour coded cable leads all the way around and still nothing - neither audio nor video.

Further, I get the same result when I do the same on a modern digital TV - no audio or video. The hdmi connection does work on this second TV (which is in another location where there is no internet access) - so I know that the Vero box itself is working.

I suspect that I am just missing something out, and was wondering if the cvbs socket needs to be ‘enabled’ in some way before it can work.

thanks in advance.

Yes, it does.

Are you familiar with SSH?

For PAL (you seem to be in the UK), you would need to run this command for video output:

sudo fw_setenv hdmimode 576cvbs

After a reboot, it should work.

Thank you Sam,

Yes I am in the UK, and all the snow has already gone from our part of South Wales !

Unfortunately I am not familiar with SSH, but have seen many references to it and am willing to learn.

All advice appreciated.

thanks

See Accessing the command line - General - OSMC. This should help you.
One thing to be aware of is that after activating this, you won’t be able to switch to HDMI trivially. You’d need to run

sudo fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p60hz

to restore that functionality

Sam

Despite what it says in the linked thread above, the connections on the 4-pole plug actually need to be:

1. left audio
  2. right audio
  3. video
  4. ground

It is not easy to find cables with ground on the sleeve (4). The arrangement is called OMTP. Generally, if it doesn’t say in the cable spec it is likely to be ground on the second ring (3) aka CTIA/AHJ but you can get adapters. Google OMTP.

Thank you Sam and Graham.

Following your instructions we now have the Vero connected too, and displaying properly, on an old Philips 32 CRT TV; on both its component and scart inputs. Excellent and many thanks.

Sam: if i’ve understood you correctly, the fw_setenv commands you provided have to be carried out each time we want to swap between the two TV types (CRT and hdmi equipped tv’s) ???

Graham, the Nokia ca-75u cable worked ok, with video being carried on the yellow coloured lead and stereo audio on the red and white leads (although I haven’t checked if left and right are the correct way round - but if not it’s so easy just to swap them into the appropriate socket).

Hippo

They are probably not the right way round but there’s a fix for that in the next upgrade.

That’s right.

Let me pickup on this topic… I need to be able to output HDMI (50p) and CVBS at the same time.

I found a cable with which has (from tip to base): Audio R, L, Video, ground. The audio comes out perfectly (both channels) so this cable layout seems to be good. When I power on the device, for about 1 second the “Please stand by” and the logo come out of the CVBS plus, but then dissappears. I dont know how to get it back.

From the comments in this threat, it seems that it’s not possible to have HDMI and CVBS at the same time with this device… is this correct? If so, this is big dissappointment (none of the ~a dozen mediaplayers I used before had this limitation). I know that CVBS is outdated, but we need it for a small monitor to navigate whilst the main output signal on the projector is “blacked out”. Note: my device is a 4k+.

Hi,

Currently this isn’t possible.
A reboot is needed between switching from HDMI to CVBS output to configure scaling parameters.

Could you use a tablet or VNC on the Vero to control this using a phone etc?

Sam

Thank you for the quick reply, Sam, I will look into this potential solution. Will such an app mirror the screen of the Vero device onto my tablet? Any recommendations on the best app to control from an Android tablet (“best” in the sense of integrating the two devices)? How does it connect… also thru the bluetooth dongle on the USB port like the OSMC remote? Note: there is no network where the device is used.

I’m a video guy, not a computer wizzard, so “use VNC on the Vero” sounds like Chinese for me. Is there a simple “how to install/activate guide for non-computer experts” on how to get this up an running.

There is no solution that will allow you watch media played by the Vero on two different displays except for possibly an HDMI splitter, which will come with it’s own issues unless both displays share the same resolution, refresh rate, etc.