Cannot initially select HD TV Channels, no data from TVH

Hi All,
This is my first post in this forum and I am not a native English speaker, so I beg your patience. My configuration:

• Raspberry Pi 3 B with osmc 2018.02-2
  • TVHeadend installed via osmc App Store
  • Kathrein EXIP 414/E Sat>IP Server
  • Satellite Astra 19.2 E

Symptoms:
After booting RPI or returning to TV from any other service (pictures ), I cannot select any HD channel. Sometimes there is no reaction at all, sometimes it reports no data from tvheadend. If I then select any SD channel, it will appear immediately and so does any HD channel that I select afterwards. This is clearly reproducible and happens after reboot and after returning to PVR&Live TV from any other service.

I have never had any trouble with the Sat>IP Server using EyeTV. No problem switching channels or even simultaneously recording several channels.

Log output from tvheadend is:

2018-04-27 19:47:15.727 subscription: 0001: No input source available for subscription "127.0.0.1 [ osmc | Kodi Media Center ]" to channel "NDR FS NDS HD"
2018-04-27 19:47:17.727 subscription: 0001: No input source available for subscription "127.0.0.1 [ osmc | Kodi Media Center ]" to channel "NDR FS NDS HD"
2018-04-27 19:47:19.727 subscription: 0001: No input source available for subscription "127.0.0.1 [ osmc | Kodi Media Center ]" to channel "NDR FS NDS HD"
2018-04-27 19:47:21.727 subscription: 0001: No input source available for subscription "127.0.0.1 [ osmc | Kodi Media Center ]" to channel "NDR FS NDS HD"
2018-04-27 19:47:22.787 subscription: 0001: "127.0.0.1 [ osmc | Kodi Media Center ]" unsubscribing from "NDR FS NDS HD", hostname="127.0.0.1", username="osmc", client="Kodi Media Center"
2018-04-27 19:47:22.788 mpegts: 12187.5H in DVB-S Network - tuning on SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner #2 (192.168.178.103)
2018-04-27 19:47:22.789 subscription: 0002: "127.0.0.1 [ osmc | Kodi Media Center ]" subscribing on channel "NITRO", weight: 150, adapter: "SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner #2 (192.168.178.103)", network: "DVB-S Network", mux: "12187.5H", provider: "CBC", service: "NITRO", profile="htsp", hostname="127.0.0.1", username="osmc", client="Kodi Media Center"
2018-04-27 19:47:30.521 subscription: 0002: "127.0.0.1 [ osmc | Kodi Media Center ]" unsubscribing from "NITRO", hostname="127.0.0.1", username="osmc", client="Kodi Media Center"
2018-04-27 19:47:30.522 mpegts: 11582.25H in DVB-S Network - tuning on SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner #2 (192.168.178.103)
2018-04-27 19:47:30.522 subscription: 0003: "127.0.0.1 [ osmc | Kodi Media Center ]" subscribing on channel "NDR FS NDS HD", weight: 150, adapter: "SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner #2 (192.168.178.103)", network: "DVB-S Network", mux: "11582.25H", provider: "ARD", service: "NDR FS NDS HD", profile="htsp", hostname="127.0.0.1", username="osmc", client="Kodi Media Center"
2018-04-27 19:47:32.043 tsfix: The timediff for DVBSUB is big (307700), using audio dts

Debug log is at https://paste.osmc.tv/cijesatidu

SD uses MPEG encoding, HD uses H.264

I hope someone can help me with this, I will happily provide more info.

Thanks,
Heinrich

I’m not familiar with devices like the Kathrein but I’m surprised to see 127.0.0.1 in your log. Shouldn’t your TVH client be pointed to the Kathrein’s IP? Edit: maybe not. @JimKnopf may know.

There’s a HowTo in here for Fritz!Box which may help.

Maybe I should explain my configuration more clearly.
There are 2 devices:

1. Kathrein Sat>IP server at 192.168.178.103
  2. RPI 3B at 192.168.178.107

The 127.0.0.1 that you are seeing is Kodi accessing the TVHeadend Server which is running on the same machine. THV Server in turn accesses the Sat>IP server at 192.168.178.103, which you can also see in the log.

If the TVHeadend server were configured to access the Sat>IP server at 127.0.01, I would not be able to receive any channel at all.

There seems to be some initialisation problem which prevents switching to an HD channel. Switching to an SD channel beforehand seems to remedy this situation.

Thank you for the link to the howto. It is very detailed and I did not find time yet to read it entirely

The Kathrein tuner is a complete unknown device for me but I would like to see how it’s configured in the TVHeadend’s web sides, so could you

• login to the TVHeadend web pages at port 9981 on the Vero4k using a browser
  • go to Configuration -> DVB Inputs -> TV adapters
  • make screenshots from the node’s content in the treeview in expert view level and show them, here?

Perhaps, it’s just a timeout value to be increased or a flag like “fast switch” which has to be disabled.

Here’s the screenshot:

A few things to mention:

1. Only Tuners 2 - 4 are used on the Kathrein, because one of the 4 unicable frequencies is reserved for a TV set connected via satellite cable.
  2. Upon boot, Kodi complains about no connection to TVHeadend HTSP client, but succeeds on second attempt, but I think that’s normal. Kodi is just booting to fast:wink:
  3. After initial installation and scan I was hardly able to watch any TV channel because all available tuners were used up by EPG scan. I disabled EPC scan on all channels, but is there no possibility to limit the number of tuners used for EPG scan?

Thanks for your support,

Heinrich

I forgot the snapshot for Position #1:

-Heinrich

Could you also show the screenshot of the root node “KATHREIN SatIP Server …”?

Hard to say since I do not know the Kathrein … you’ve to play a bit a round with the settings like

• try to deactivate the fast switch flag
  • set “next tune delay” timeout from 50 to 200 or 300 MS
  • force teardown delay

Thank you! I will play around with the settings next week.

-Heinrich

Playing with the settings did not help. Channel switching became even less reliable. I think I will leave things as they are for now and try to work around the error (select an SD channel first).
Today I was considering buying a Vero 4k, hoping things might run better with that, but since it is running the same software as the Raspi, it will probably not make a difference.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Heinrich

The video decoding implementations on Pi and Vero 4K are completely different (hence why one device supports 4K / HDR and the other does not).

Your version of OSMC is quite out of date, and there have been TVH improvements since then.

I have OSMC 2018.04-1, updated about a week ago.

I am not so much interested in 4K/HDR as I have an elderly HD-ready LG TV. What I do need is a reliable Sat>IP client, and the problems I am facing seem to be mainly Kodi/TVH related, hence my conclusion above.

-Heinrich

Just asking again:

These really sound like questions that should be addressed to the TVHeadend developers?

Ok, I understand.
That’s one more reason for me to not buy a Vero 4k: Being referred to somewhere else for help, should problems arise.

-Heinrich

@heinrich1: I don’t see why you expect that in the OSMC forum all add-ons and solutions should be “supported”. This is the forum for OSMC you can meet the OSMC developers and not TVHeadend. :man_shrugging:

Nevertheless: The answer/solution for your question is in your screenshots already, see post #7. If you remove the “Over-the-air EPG”-flag from a tuner, it should not be used for EPG grabbing. So, try just one tuner with this flag set. I think a TVHeadend-restart is necessary to make such changes active. Just tested, no restart necessary.

Have fun,

All issues with Vero 4K can be reported here or via our support system. Support for other platforms is provided on a best effort basis.

But TVHeadend has its own forum and IRC channel with better knowledge than us.

Cheers

Sam

2 Likes

Of course I am aware that the OSMC forum cannot support all add-ons. But since tvheadend is distributed via the “OSMC App Store”, i figured that tvheadend would be supported.
Anyway, thank you for this hint. I had been searching at the wrong places (Muxes and Services). Disabling OTA EPG for one or more tuners should be a usable workaround.

Thanks,

Heinrich

Language like this is made only for spite and quite useless in such a forum as this. First, it provides the support team with zero motivation to assist you any further with your problem. Second, if you already had 1 reason not to buy a V4K, we’ll go ahead and assume that you won’t. Thanks for being so understanding of the folks who volunteer their efforts to provide you support and offer the best routes of finding solutions for your problems in their own spare time and at no cost to you.

Good luck.