Can't connect to Wifi with OSMC dongle (5 GHz type)

Would need logs.

iperf is probably the best way to test the speeds however. SMB will never let you evaluate speed properly.

If the old dongle was 802.11n you should check the channel differences too.

After renaming the .dat file to .bak and rebooting was the .dat file supposed to rebuild? Is there another way, besides the reboot, that one could trigger the auto config?

Hi @sam_nazarko,

I’ve uploaded some logs for yesterday issue.

This morning, the connection was up and running. Hope it will be more stable :slight_smile:

[89247.982844] WIFI device has been disconnected

I also see some USB errors in your log. Is the PSU up to scratch?

Sam

Disregard my question, it did eventually switch (file never recreated) to the 5gz network after I gave up for the night. (I have a router with band steering) After the removal of that file I now have a packet loss free 5gz connection on the osmc wifi nic, before it was terrible (10% loss, 2000ms responses)

1 Like

Great to hear – WiFi problems can be very difficult to debug and I am glad you were able to find a solution so quickly.

Cheers

Sam

Hi @sam_nazarko,
I don’t get what do do you mean with “up to scratch” :(.

The PSU is the official one (Raspberry branded).
Today, after 24 hours the wifi is still up and running, so for now I don’t complaint about the new wifi dongle :))))))

Okay, I saw some generic USB disconnect messages which usually indicate an underspecced PSU.

If things are working smoothly I am glad to hear it

Sam

Updated

Here more logs:

http://paste.osmc.io/dilayomaxe.vhdl
http://paste.osmc.io/akuxepohit.vhdl

Here dmesg logs:

http://paste.osmc.io/qucapiwiga.coffee

Hi @sam_nazarko ,
in the last week the wi-fi was up and running for 3 days without any interruption but in the last week everyday I need to restart the raspberry or just re-plug the wifi dongle to get it working.

Here the logs.

Let me know if there is something that I can do to understand which is the issue, if hardware or software.

Thanks,
Fabio

I can still see some USB disconnect issues, which usually indicates power supply issues. I had a customer recently with similar problems. I sent him a new dongle but that didn’t work either – we then realised the PSU was the issue.

Sam

@fabiosirna - If you are still having issues, check that thread for a possible solution. Your dmesg shows similar background scanning as mine.

Thanks you @mels0n !
Since the new dongle and after the fresh new OSMC setup I’m fine and I don’t have any wi-fi issue :slight_smile:

I’m having similar issues with my MT7610u dongle running OSMC RC4 and a RPi 3 . After disabling the internal wifi I couldn’t find any networks (neither 2.4GHZ nor 5GHZ). Moving ‘/lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat’ solved the problem and I could find 2.4GHZ networks and was able to connect to mine with a bitrate of 135 Mbit/s at channel 11.
Indeed I was not able to find 5GHZ networks at all. That’s why ‘I changed /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat’ filled in ‘CountryCode=DE’ and tried some numbers with ‘WirelessMode’. With number 8 I could connect to my 5GHZ network at channel 52 to 64 with a terrible bitrate.
Are you sure that the table of numbers you posted are related to WirelessMode?
Is there a way to have ac wifi working properly?

Yes.

If it’s an official OSMC dongle, this is all you need to do.

If it’s an MT7610U variant, I am not sure. There are many revisions and I don’t know the specifics. But without any logging I can’t provide further advice.

As far as I know it’s not an official one. But I’m not sure because I only have the PCB without the plastic housing.
I will provide logs tomorrow when I will be having access.
I read somewhere at Github that changing the number of WirelessMode selects the wifi standard.

If it doesn’t have an OSMC logo on it, then it’s not the OSMC variant. Only one other shop sells our dongle and it would not come without the housing.

Removing the configuration file will put you in to automatic configuration, where the driver will try and configure the dongle appropriately based on a CRDA assessment from neighbouring networks. It usually works pretty well.

Sam

Here is my log without settings file for mt7610u
log1

and with configuration file
log2

Thanks in advance.

MMh, I tried to change the firmware settings file to WirelessMode=15. Now I can see and connect to my 5GHZ network. Unfortunately afterwards I don’t have any access to the Raspberry Pi by Putty, Samba or anything else, tough my router is telling me a proper connection to the Raspberry Pi.

Has the IP Address changed?
Also what is the wifi dialog on OSMC show have you succesfully got IP address via DHCP?

The IP address is the same. The dialog on OSMC also shows a connection with the same IP.
With WirelessMode=15 I only see 5GHZ networks. I guess that is the intended behaviour.

After connecting an ethernet cable I moved ‘/lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat’ again. Now I get a connection to my 2.4GHZ network. Especially after boot the connection with 2.4GHZ is pretty crappy. Iperf tells me a speed of 4-8 Mbit/s. Indeed 2.4GHZ is crowded at my place. That’s why I want to change to 5GHZ ac.