Can't connect to Wifi with OSMC dongle (5 GHz type)

Hi,

I’ve recently acquried an OSMC 5Ghz dongle and am facing similar issues on my Rpi 2.

I’ve checked that the Dongle works on my laptop.
On the Rpi2, I’ve unplugged all usb devices (aside from the dongle) to make sure it wasn’t a usb power issue.

I moved the /lib/firmware/mtu7610.dat file and rebooted.
Then I ran the connmanctl commands and still no wifi is found:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo connmanctl
connmanctl> agent on
Agent registered
connmanctl> scan wifi
Error /net/connman/technology/wifi: No carrier

I am also attaching the log file in case someone can help me:

http://paste.osmc.io/tugohebaci.vhdl

Thanks!

Install crda tools sudo apt-get install crda and then set your country, that might help

Hi,

I did some digging and noticed that the wifi seemed to be soft blocked for some reason?

This is what I did to check:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: yes
        Hard blocked: no

Then I unblocked it (had to install rfkill via apt-get):

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo rfkill unblock 0
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no

And then after that, the wifi scan seemed to work:

osmc@osmc:~$ connmanctl
connmanctl> agent on
Agent registered
connmanctl> scan wifi
Scan completed for wifi
connmanctl>

Now, I just need to try and connect to the wireless network!

Thanks, i think that helped.

Finally managed to connect to the 2.4Ghz network. I’ll see if I can find a way of connecting to the 5Ghz.

It was probably soft blocked because you didn’t run connmanctl enable wifi or select it under My OSMC

Not sure what the issue is but, connmanctl doesn’t show the 5ghz network on the list of “services”, however if i run iwlist, the 5ghz network shows there… so it must be something to do with connmanctl right?

Same problem here. Neither with gui nor with connmanctl I can see 5GHZ networks. Indeed I can see my 5GHZ network (to which I’m trying to connect for several months) when using iwlist.

Now I see that the problem is related to ac protocol, not just 5GHZ. I only can see 802.11n+a 5GHZ networks.

Did you set the country as I suggested earlier?

Yes I did.

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo  iw reg get
    country DE: DFS-ETSI
            (2400 - 2483 @ 40), (N/A, 20), (N/A)
            (5150 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 20), (N/A), NO-OUTDOOR
            (5250 - 5350 @ 80), (N/A, 20), (0 ms), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
            (5470 - 5725 @ 160), (N/A, 26), (0 ms), DFS
            (5725 - 5875 @ 80), (N/A, 13), (N/A)
            (57000 - 66000 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

Btw here is my former log.

Can you see your 5Ghz network if you disconnect/forget the 2.4GHz network?

1 Like

No I can’t. I’ve already tried that with a fresh installation. Moreover I can’t see any other ac networks, which are in the neighborhood.

Ok, than I am out of ideas. I can see all my AC networks in connmanctl when starting clear. But when I am connected to my 2.4GHz I also loose visibility of the AC networks. That was why I asked.

OK I’ve tried it again. I deleted the saved network AND I changed the channel from 116 to 36. Afterwards I was able to connect to my 5GHZ network.
Unfortunately the connection is incedibly laggy. It’s hardly possible to use SSH. Sometimes after a reboot there is no connection at all. Though the router tells me a speed of about 300 Mbit/s (similar to wavemon). I tried iperf betwenn the wireless Pi and a wired Pi. The result is a speed of about 40-50 Mbit/s.
Don’t know what else to try. Cable would be the best solution but that is not possible at all.

What is the signal level wavemon is reporting?
You might want to try to disable background scanning

At 5GHZ the signal level is about -60dBm. The lower channels have a better signal level.
I disabled background scanning. 2.4GHZ is now way better. Thank you for that. Actually I thought that this had been solved.
I haven’t tried it with 5GHZ because it’s hard to connect any peripherals or ethernet cable with my setup. I will check it later this week.

It should be resolved as long as signal level is better than -65dBm. So you wrote -60dBm for 5Ghz assuming on 2.4Ghz it was even better?

Yes it was better with 2.4GHZ. The signal level was about -70 to -79 when using channel 56 and above. When testing the pi was located near the router. Now it is more far away and fixed to a wall. The 2.4GHZ connection is now also at about -60 dBm.

Ok, not sure if we have a misunderstanding here but lower numbers means better signal! So with -70 to -79 you would for sure run into background scanning issue as that would only bet stopped below -65 (AFAIK)