Can't reach my SMB shares after the last OSMC update!

Same issue as quicktime here. It first downloaded another update and I installed it, but it still says 2016.05-1 is installed and it still asks for a password to connect to my windows 10 machine. I manually scanned for an update and it says there are no updates available.

This fix is only for access to legacy samba servers with password. It doesn’t solve the password less guest access.

Okay. That explains it. Darn.

LOL. I asked the same thing here, and @sam_nazarko clarified the same thing as @fzinken. We are too eager to see guest access restored! :slight_smile: (Though, as Sam mentioned, there is no guarantee the SMB team will actually be restoring guest access. I’d love to know either way, so I can bite the bullet and go ahead with automount if this is just how it’s going to be now.)

1 Like

Thanks so much for this, fixed my issue too :smiley: never thought to use a mount and root file system instead

Could we have a clear statement of the putative fix please.

I still can’t connect with or without account/password combo, RPi2 to Windows 10.

There currently is not a fix for windows shares without password. This is an upstream issue from Debian maintainers and our only choice is to wait on them to resolve the issue.

Well well well !
Decided to Re-read the “shares-lost” threads again and start fresh. Added ANOTHER user account to the Win10 machine (with fresh password) and added the new user to one folder access (permissions: “full control, change read”) and suddenly, using that account/password, ALL my shares show up on RPi2 with OSMC 2016.05-1 (as updated last evening).

Hooray hooray. Thanks Sam and others who responded. Will now go and try VEMO and the RPi3.

OK, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. Help me make sense of it all. I have a hard drive attached to a Netgear router using their ReadyShare NAS setup. Like all else, updated to May release and now locked out of Samba shares due to the login/password requirements. Having read all above, I am still somewhat confused. Anyone able to walk me through the steps I need to do? Having thought I had a corrupted Raspberry Pi (due to a power outage two weeks ago) I have since reinstalled on a Raspberry Pi and a Raspberry Pi 2, all to no avail. The kids are going to revolt if I can’t get a second system up and running (refusing to update the system on the one still-working Pi.) Thanks. Looking forward to using this forum, as I just joined today (lurker previously.)

Hi,
Same problem here.
I have RPi 256MB, just upgraded to rbp1-mediacenter-osmc_16.1.0-3_armhf.
I can’t access to SMB shares and NFS directories but with different behaviours: accessing via NFS says “Attendere…” (italian for “wait…”) with no end; access via SMB ends with a “Connection timeout”.
RPi is connected via LAN; no any other device is connected (only Lan and HDMI cables).
I’m using confluence skin.
I don’t know which was the last working OSMC version.
Logs:

Best regards.
Danilo

On initial upgrade to OSMC 2016-05.1 my previous report is confirmed for VEMO and RPi3 as well as the RPi2 reported there.

Bushman: NO way do I understand this but, for my setup (Windows10 with 8 shared disks and RPi2, 3 and VEMO clients on OSMC 2016-5.1)

adding a single user account to Windows10 (with a password) and sharing a single folder with permissions to that account and,

in KODI, going through the 'add videos" procedure giving the new account (and password) re-enabled ALL of my 8 shares which quit with the 2016.04-2 upgrade.

Go figure. Hope this helps.

Sorry to be a bit confusing. Lack of sleep (somewhat due to trying to get this set up, again.) Let me try to clarify. I have a Netgear router which allows me to connect an external hard drive to it. Using Netgear’s ReadyShare NAS capabilities on the router, I don’t need a computer running as a server. I have the Pi, running OSMC, attached to the router and find the samba shares via the Workgroup > ReadyShare. Unfortunately, upon updating to May update, the shares are locked down and require username/password. Never before were they needed. Just looking to see if anyone shares in my particular dilemma and if they have found a way around it. Thanks. Hope I cleared things up a bit.
Cheers!

Bushman,
my understanding is that “open” or no-password shares are an acknowledged problem, introduced by the 2016.04-2 upgrade, which, as of now, has not been fixed. Underlying operating system folks are working on it.
Your only recourse is to do a “fresh” install of the 2016-04,1 (or earlier) OSMC.

The good news…this worked for me.

Hi All,

I upgraded Samba server (on the shares server) to 4.4.2: now I can access to it from OSMC 16.1.0-3.
I did nothing on the NFS server, but I can access to it too. There’s something I don’t understand…

Shortly, everything works well now.

Best regards.
Danilo

Yep, that is where I am, right now. Reloaded an older image and will await any potential “fix.” Cheers!

Inspired by your success, I decided to give it another try and it worked! Just as you said, I created a new user (I’m in win7), created a password, and shared one of my many folders with the new user. When prompted to enter user/password it worked and afterwards all shared folders worked. Go figure. Thanks!

Yes some strange bugs in samba shares.

Hi,

Is this issue resolved in the latest OSMC updates (August/September 2016)? I experience exactly the same problem!
My setup is similar to the one from the original posting - Raspberry Pi, Apple TimeCapsule. I didn’t use it for many months while I was living abroad. After I reconnected my home network the first thing the Pi did was to upgrade to the latest version.
I applied all fixes recommended in the previous postings - “client NTLMv2 auth = no” and “client use spnego = no” in both .smb/smb.conf and /etc/samba/smb.conf but I still get the same error when rebuilding the library:
22:44:15 84.536591 T:2831414256 ERROR: Getting extended attributes for the share: ‘smb://192.168.0.7/TimeCapsule/Videos/abc.mp4’
unix_err:‘68’ error: ‘Connection reset by peer’
but the file plays flawlessly:
22:44:40 110.101646 T:3023393712 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: smb://192.168.0.7:445/TimeCapsule/Videos/abc.mp4

One minor detail is that the Getting Extended Attributes call doesn’t go to port 445 while the one from the DVDPlayer does (at least that’s what shows up in the log)

What did work is to mount the TimeCapsule on /mnt/Videos and access it from there.
Is that the only way forward or there will be a fix?

Cheers,
Plamen

A post was split to a new topic: Samba Server requiring newer Authentication Method (Kodi Client)