CEC problem since April update

Turning on tv, activate cec (before update this step wasn’t needed), change source, go back to pi, cec remains active.

Turning on tv, change source, go back to pi, cec doesn’t turn on.

Once the tv is turned off, the simplink connection must be activated manually.

Hi Tom,

I go to the TV’s input selection screen and select PI. Even though it is already the active input, this brings CEC back. A message comes up saying it is establishing the connection.

Thanks,

Hi Carlmon and @velho10,

You’ve both got:

hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

Enabled in your config, you please remove this or comment it out. I know this will mean that when you turn your pi on your TV will automatically switch to OSMC, and you’ve included this to prevent this. But I want to see if this the cause of the issue.

Could you please try this and reboot, and advise if this has made any improvement?

Thanks Tom.

Hi Tom,

No improvement. The issue persists.

I did not manually add that setting and I am leaving it off. I only use OSMC on my TV :smile:

Thanks,

Yap, no improvements doing that. :confused:

@carlmon

Apologies, I’ve just checked mine and its in by default.

I’ll keep digging.

Tom.

1 Like

I've activated debug logging for libcec, now what do i do?

The component logging for libcec, didn’t to take. When I first looked at the logs, I did think it was weired I wasn’t seeing any libcec errors, carlmon’s log have confirmed my suspicion as there is debugs for libcec. Can you enable it again, and make sure Verbose logging for the Libcec Library is enabled. And restart OSMC. Hopefully this will show why cec isn’t isn’t starting automatically.

Thanks Tom.

I do not know much c++, but this commit looks like it may be related to the problem. Is this the April release fix for spurious power-on?

Hi Carlmon,

@sam_nazarko

12:46:50.711 T:1806947312 WARNING: CecLogMessage - FIXME: LG seems to have bugged out. resetting to 'in transition standby to on'. the return button will not work
12:46:50.711 T:1806947312   DEBUG: CecLogMessage - Audio (5): device status changed into 'not present'
12:46:50.711 T:1806947312   DEBUG: CecLogMessage - Recorder 1 (1): power status changed from 'on' to 'in transition from standby to on'
12:46:50.711 T:1806947312   DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << Recorder 1 (1) -> TV (0): in transition from standby to on
12:46:50.711 T:1806947312   DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << Recorder 1 (1) -> Tuner 2 (6): POLL
12:46:50.711 T:1806947312   DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << 10:90:02
12:46:50.801 T:1806947312   DEBUG: CecLogMessage - Recorder 1 (1): power status changed from 'in transition from standby to on' to 'on'
12:46:50.801 T:1806947312   DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << 16
12:46:51.016 T:1806947312   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
12:46:51.016 T:1806947312   DEBUG: CecLogMessage - >> POLL not sent
12:46:51.016 T:1806947312   DEBUG: CecLogMessage - Tuner 2 (6): device status changed into 'not present'

I think this is the issue, unfortunately I think this will need an update to fix issue. I’ve posted here just as a flag. I’m not a developer, just a user of osmc like yourself; so apologies I can’t be of anymore help.

@velho10 I believe you have different issue, so the new logs I requested will still be useful.

Thanks Tom.

Thanks very much for your guidance and time, Tom. I appreciate it very much :slight_smile:

Hey Tom,

Sorry for the slow reply, I’ve been away with work. As requested I setup debugging with verbose libCEC as well. I then rebooted and remote worked fine. I then put TV and amp in standby and turned them back on for CEC to have stopped working again.

My RPi2 is connected to an Onkyo amp and then that to the TV. I use a harmony remote to control everything. The setup was working perfectly up until the last update when on standby CEC stops working!

Here is the log- http://paste.osmc.io/fehohezumo.vhdl

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks, Blinkz

Hi Blinkz,

Could you please advise on the following:

If you change source, then revert back to vero4k. Does it bring cec back?

DEBUG: UpdateAudioSystemStatus - no CEC capable amplifier found

I don’t think this is the issue, just rather a symptom. If you bypass the amp and plug the vero4k straight into the telly, does cec still fail to comeback up after putting the tv in standby (this is just to test, I’m not suggesting you change your setup permanently.)

Thanks Tom.

My problem is similar - I’m using gmc’s kodi 18 builds. My rpi2 is running all the time.
When I turn off the TV and then turn it on again, since updating regular packages from april update, CEC is not working anymore… Switching the source to sth and back to the pi, CEC is working again.

From log:

16:39:42.208 T:1958429312 DEBUG: OnKey: 167 (0xa7, obc88) pressed, action is Down
16:39:43.205 T:1709175792 ERROR: OnTvStandby - Unexpected [standby_pc_on_tv_standby] setting value

In general, shoudn’t this setting “When the TV is switched off” have 6 options?
<setting key="standby_pc_on_tv_standby" type="enum" value="36028" label="36029" order="8" lvalues="36028|13005|13011|13009|36044|36045" />
Ignore, Shutdown, Suspend, Quit, Stop Playback, Pause Playback

For me there are only 3: Ignore, Shutdown, Suspend

Hallo!
Its very peculiar that my setup started working after April Update and all of you seem to have got the problem through this same update! I hope we wont be swapping the problem between two groups of users after each update. :slight_smile:
Cheers Alex

1 Like

@sam_nazarko is it somehow possible to provide the old .deb files? As I understood, on repo there are just current versions:

osmc@osmc:~$ apt-cache madison rbp2-libcec-osmc
rbp2-libcec-osmc |    4.0.2-4 | http://apt.osmc.tv/ jessie/main armhf Packages
osmc@osmc:~$ apt-cache madison rbp2-mediacenter-osmc
rbp2-mediacenter-osmc |   17.1.0-3 | http://apt.osmc.tv/ jessie/main armhf Packages

Maybe its a temporary workaround for me to switch back to the march build?

Maybe the error in the log two posts before (‘unexpected setting value’) is somehow related to this, or the missing cec options see here? Maybe a wrong state which forces to reinitiate anynet+/cec connection?

This isn’t really ideal, because then things will never be fixed; and you’ll never be able to upgrade.

I’d rather a more pragmatic approach to the problem. Some verbose debug logs would help.

Is this sufficient? https://pastebin.com/shj7V8KN

I annotated the steps (cec working, turn off, turn on, …) for you.

I deleted .kodi, but same behaviour :frowning:

Hi just trying to help…altough I m not using Osmc right now I was having this same issue as you people are having on a rpi2…Cec working fine till kodi goes on standbye/suspend…then it won’t wake up from cec remote…would have to wake it up from apk remote like kore or pump…Not sure if I m allowed to mention here but I was having this issue since Libreelec updated to kodi17 and with it came the updated CEC adaptor…after that I decided to try OSMC with kodi 17 and had the same exact problem…So to cut short I v been searching and searching for days till I found a good soul that was ready to compile libreelec with an updated CEC from opdenkamp I found on github and that solved all the suspend problems and kodi with cec is back to normal…hope this will help who’s taking care of OSMC…
this is fixed but still few bugs CECBusDevice.cpp
For those interested to help this is the discussion on github regarding issue Kodi Wake up from tv doesn’t work #309

We already use the version you are referring to and have been for some time.

If you still experience problems, I can produce some test builds for you that will test whether downstream OSMC patches are causing an issue.

Please let me know if you’re interested in testing these patches.