Configure Harmony Elite + Hub with Vero 4k/Kodi

I’m trying to connect it via Bluetooth, but without much luck. Can you guys please check if I’ve done something wrong?

1. Harmony is working with the iPhone app and has some devices/activities working.

2. I’ve paired the Vero 4K with the Harmony Hub pressing the Pair button in the back of the hub

3. I’ve added a device using the OSMC : Vero4k profile

It adds the device, I can see the commands, but nothing happens when pressed. I’ve also tried with the Microsoft : Kodi profile and it’s similar, only difference is that when I press a button it goes to a screen asking to pair my computer.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve setup my Vero4K as an “Manufacturer:OSMC - Device:Vero 4k” so it’s using IR. Is there a step-by-step guide for setting it up to use bluetooth?

Am I correct in saying I should

• add “Manufacturer:Windows - Device:PC” to the Harmony profile
  • pair the Vero to the hub
  • keymaps (what do I do here ?)
  • assign buttons in my Harmony Activity

So this is what you people should do in order to use bluetooth:

1. Create an activity that includes your TV and what other devices you may have (av receiver etc) and include „Windows PC“ as an device. Do NOT search or include any OSMC or Kodi device, as far as the harmony is concerned that Windows PC (which in reality will be Vero 4k) is the playback device in that activity.

2. At the end of the creation of this activity the harmony app will ask to pair the Windows PC aka the Vero4k, which you then do by following the instructions in the app. Bluetooth pairing will have to be enabled on the Vero4k in the „My osmc“ app. Finish and save the activity.

3. Start the activity and see what keys on your harmony remote already work as you desire. At least the direction keys , the back key and the ok key in the middle should work, which means you already have a basic control of Kodi

4. Now you should install „keymap editor“ (Kodi addon) on the Vero4k. This addon enables you to map keys of your harmony remote to a specific action in Kodi. It will take some time until you learn everything and see everything, but ultimately you will get it done. It is a powerful addon that will enhance your Kodi experience greatly once you have everything done.

5. If some keys of your harmony remote are not recognized in „keymap editor“, then go back to the harmony app and assign letters or numbers to those keys and then assign those in the keymap editor to the specific action you desire.

4+5 can be a bit of try and error and requires some finetuning… remember, in this method you don’t use a predefined Kodi profile but a profile that would suit a Windows Media PC best… but since it is a profile for a Windows Pc, you can assign any action or any key available to a PC, which gives you all the freedom in the world to assign every darn key on your harmony remote to do something useful in Kodi (Steps 4+5)… but you might even be satisfied with the result after 3) because the most basic stuff should already be working.

2 Likes

I don’t know how this would work normally, but it would be great to submit a working OSMC Vero 4k Bluetooth profile to Logitech some time, so that the setup process wouldn’t be this complicated in the future… Does anybody know how that could be done (button assignments e.g. closely immitating the OSMC remote functionality might be a good idea for such a Bluetooth Harmony profile + some extra keys to assign things to)?

I went through all of this already some time ago and after hours of setting everything up, I honestly was too lazy to write it all up. So, thanks in the name of others in need of help for this, @Nickelig! :+1:t2:

But setting up everything by yourself is greatly satisfying and rewarding :slight_smile:

Plus no profile will cover the needs of everyone. Sure I would not mind an official bluetooth profile if it helps some people.

But a harmony remote is so much more than for example the remote that comes with the Vero4k. No official profile would be more than that remote… but how many keys does it have? And how many keys does a harmony have? :wink:

Yeah, well… :rofl: I would’ve gone with a decent one-click solution as well. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Probably not EVERYONE. But if that said profile would have the standard keys configured that also the OSMC remote offers and a set of extra keys free to assign this would serve as a good basis for a basic setup that could easily be extended to something more personalized:

• non-pre-assigned extra keys in such a profile: something like extra_key_1…20 (or more) for the maximum amount of extra keys, a physical Harmony remote usable with the Harmony Hub offers added to the amount of keys, the OSMC remote has - there are 13, I think

We’ve discussed some harmony ideas before. The problem is a consensus of sane defaults can’t yet be achieved. Maybe we should revisit this

1 Like

Yeah - these discussions were nice.
Thing is - all OSMC controls + the remaining keys is what is required.

Currently, I declare the OSMC controller in my Harmony, so I can use these. Period.
But I have no extra keys added, which is enough.

Re: Submitting to Logitech.

In the past, if you have a fully working profile of a new device you just contact their support team, maybe by the forum, and they’ll take a look at copying it from your account so others can use it.

It would be a good idea to match the Windows PC keys to the same key that Kodi uses, eg Set Windows PC “C” to Contextual Menu
https://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls

I don’t mind doing this when I have time, probably next weekend.

I guess the one downside to BT control is you won’t be able to turn the Vero on as I assume that will be IR only if/when implemented. Although you could always have BT and IR on a Harmony activity

1 Like

I’ve been down the path of configuring a HTPC as a Windows PC and then pair via Bluetooth with my Harmony Hub, the problem however is that the device “Windows PC” does not have “TV capabilities” according to Logitech. Which means that you can’t assign favorite channels to your remote, which sucks. Too bad Logitech can’t figure that out, a “Windows PC” is somehow forbidden in the “Watch TV”-activity type…

I ended up using adding the Vero as Microsoft - Kodi which set it up as a Harmony Keyboard, not had the need for favourites though as they’re used already on another Activity

Thanks, this worked really well.
I’m stuck with one problem. The Vero remote has a “menu” button. I want the same functionality with the “menus” button on my Harmony remote. But right now when I press that button it acts like the “back” button. I can’ t figure out how to change this with the Keymap editor. Can anyone help me?

Regards,
Michael

I have the same issue with Harmony 650 and the context button on supplied remote.i have remapped c to what I want and this works fine in menus but doesn’t function as the supplied remote does during playback. Which key in keymap editor do I need to redefine?

KEY_C probably

Sam

No. As I said, that works fine when navigating but when in full screen mode the command does nothing. I tried with a keyboard and its definitely not c as that doesn’t work in both those contexts I mentioned

What about “Context Menu”? - that’s the (Microsoft Kodi) Device Command I configured for the “Menu” key on my Harmony Elite and I think it does the same as Vero remote’s own “menu” button…

Tried “context menu” under global but neither of the two items replicate the supplied remotes functionality when pressing the “lists” button both when playing media and when not.

The lists button while playing video on the original remote is mapped to “o” /show codex information, but I’ve no idea how it also works as context menu when in menus.

ah, I think I finally know what you mean. The “list/menu” button in the original remote seems to have two different functions in Kodi, depending on the current Kodi activity?

to be honest, I have no clue then, and I don’t have the Vero remote close-by to test it and see what you mean, but I would be interested to learn more about this, for sure.

Yep, that’s what I meant. Quite perplexing! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: