Copying file from windows PC to HD on vero results in network error

The samba share (an external HD connected via USB to the vero) shows up on my network and I can browse and move and delete files normally, but if I try to transfer a large (~3 gigs in this instance) from my PC to the samba share, it stays on ‘calculating’ for a while and then says it encountered an unknown network error. A file with that name and size DOES show up on the drive, but it is not playable. I can transfer smaller files just fine, but larger files fail like this 100% of the time.

This issue did not happen on my Raspberry Pi OSMC install.

I had debug logging turned on last time it failed and uploaded all my logs with the MyOSMC log uploader here:
http://paste.osmc.tv/gejepayiqu

Thanks for your help!

What OS are you running on your PC?
What version if OSMC on your Pi?

Sam

I am running Windows 10 on my PC and the RasPi had the latest OSMC as of last month (auto-updates).

Auto updates? What does this mean? OSMC will never update without user confirmation.

I mean it checked for updates and I confirmed to update whenever there was one available.

Check OSMC version under My OSMC (left hand corner) and confirm the versions are the same.

They both say “OSMC March 2018 2018.03-2” in the corner.

You should do some network testing using iperf3 to rule out network problems :wink: Search for forums here for info about iperf3.

I’ll look into that but the Pi was on the same network and all files transferred without issue. Only the Vero has been failing.

I’m confused. You said you have problem copying files (not playing) but I see nothing in your fstab where you have the shares mounted. I think we need more details about your setup.

EDIT, I missed that you were using the Vero as the server. So I think that some iperf3 testing would be best at this point.

I have an external USB hard drive hooked up to the vero, which is connected to the network via ethernet cable (no wifi used). It appears on the network on my windows PC and I am able to access it. This issue only happens when copying a large file from my windows PC to the drive connected to the vero, via the network. Smaller files work fine.

We will first try and reproduce this behaviour.

Can you also let us know the filesystem the disk is formatted? I know NTFS and exFAT have some recent bugs.

Drive properties in windows says filesystem is NTFS.

Are you planning to permanently leave the drive connected to the Vero and just copy files via Network onto it. If so it might be better if you reformat the drive with EXT4 filesystem. But if you from time to time want to physically connect it to the WIndows PC then you need to continue using NTFS

1 Like

That was the original reason for formatting in NTFS, yes; I do still need to be able to use the drive with a windows PC.

Try shutting down the Vero, move the drive to your Windows system and run a chkdsk /f on it. Then move it back to the Vero and see if that helps.

1 Like

Just gave chkdsk a shot. It didnt find anything. Hooked the HD back up and tried transferring the file again with the same results. Very weird cause it mounts and shows up on the network quite reliably.

Maybe try to copy the file via Samba onto the internal storage of the Vero and from there via command line to the USB disk. then you might get closer to the real culprit.

I was able to copy the file over the network to the INTERNAL storage and was trhen able to transfer from internal storage to the HD, so it does appear to be an issue specifically with transferring large files, over the network, directly onto my external HD.

According to the log you posted earlier, the drive itself is formated as exfat, not ntfs:

Apr 21 12:44:57 osmc mount.exfat-fuse.distributed[643]: volume was not unmounted cleanly

Windows explorer when accessing a remote share provided by samba will always report the share as “NTFS” even if the underlying filesystem on the share is something else like exfat/ext4.

If you plug that drive directly into a windows PC and check the properties on the drive you should find it is actually exfat.

The problem where it says “calculating” for a long time and sometimes gives up on copying a very large file is a longstanding known problem that I first discovered over 2 years ago - it’s not a vero4 specific problem as the vero 4 wasn’t even out then, and I had this problem on a Pi 2.

The problem only happens if the USB drive is EXFAT formatted. (And possibly FAT32 - I’d need to test that again to be sure)

If it is formatted as NTFS or EXT4 the problem does not occur. I’m not entirely sure whether the blame rests with the EXFAT-fuse driver in linux or is a Samba bug.

The short answer to your problem is to back up all your files from the drive, reformat it as NTFS, if you still need to be able to plug it directly into a PC, or EXT4 if it will only ever be plugged into an OSMC or Linux device and restore all your files back to the drive.