Do not use "idle mode" in my Vero2

Most of the time, so do I.
This morning, I can access via SSH and last evening too.

I just said that since a few days I didn’t longer connect me with the iPhone application “Sybu Kodi” (I do not know if this application communicates via SSH ??).
These times, I had not tried with Putty.

I think the problem of UN1TED and mine are the same.
His description is very similar to what happens to me.

So… I have re-installed OSMC…
And this morning, same issue. :frowning:
My logs: http://paste.osmc.io/anufexaqat

I had not realized that the re-installation was crushed my data … :frowning:
I thought Vero2 was booted on the SD card and would not affect the data Vero2.
It does not matter. Just annoying. :frowning:

iPhone application “Sybu Kodi” (I do not know if this application communicates via SSH ??).

I think it communicate via the HTTP API of Kodi.

I have to add that it is possible to “disable” the SSH service for me too.
After an “sudo reboot” the Vero 2 has been shut down the SSH Service but don’t reboot.
It was still in this crazy mode. I have to unplug the power adapter to reboot the Vero.

Currently I can’t reproduce but it was an failure for me for 3 or 4 times.

I think if there is nothing powered at the HDMI port, there will be an error witch “crash” the Kodi system.
So my question about the hdmi_force_hotplug setting.

An off topic question.
Is it normal that if I shut down the device via the Kodi power menu, that its auto boot after some seconds?

If you can access it via SSH, then this indicates that it is likely a Kodi crash, and the rest of the system may well be fine. Can you try running the restart command suggested above?

Kodi logs don’t show anything, which may suggest a crash after some time.

Can you describe your setup in a bit more detail (which add-ons do you use, how do you watch TV)?

If there is no HDMI EDID read, then we set the resolution to 720p. I’m not 100% convinced that hotplugging is causing the problem.

Both of you seem to be using displays which do not support CEC. I would recommend disabling CEC in Settings → Peripherals → Input. This will keep your logs a bit cleaner.

Sam

Guys, I have the exact same problem. I have a projector (Panasonic pt 6000), and whenever I turn it off and on again, Vero 2 would stop sending signal to the projector, resulting in a black screen.

The device still works, meaning that Vero2 doesn’t freeze. It simply stops sending HDMI signal.

Only way to get this to work is to open SSH and hit reboot. I have to try 5 or 6 time, and then it works.

It goes without saying that this is unacceptable, and it’s really causing a ton of frustration. I have tried everything, and nothing seems to work. I have reinstalled the system several times, I have spent over 100 hours in the last days trying to fix the problem. Every night, after a full day of work, instead of relaxing in front of the screen I need to do this black magic stuff to get Vero to work. Plus, documentation on Vero 2 is miserable, so trying to adapt the fixes that would work for the Rpi is unfortunately not an option.

Can you please provide a solution as soon as possible? Or I will return the device and ask for a refund.

Thank you.

Also, I have tried to plug Vero 2 to my monitor, and I have the exact same issue. And that’s with a different HDMI cable.

Hi

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem. Without logs, it’s hard to say that this is actually a similar issue or that the underlying cause is the same.

Keep in mind that the original poster says that a power cycle does not cause this problem, which would suggest your problem is not the same. There are some pirate Kodi add-ons which are causing some

What are you doing specifically? If you can give us commands that fix it, it will give me insight in how to resolve this issue for you.

We will surely need some basic information from you first.

• What have you tried to resolve the issue (as this can impact things)?
  • Do you have an AVR between your TV and projector?
  • We will also need a full set of logs, then we can surely put things right

How have you come to this conclusion?

Please accept my profuse apologies. Of the many Vero customers we have, very few report issues and those that do will chime in and say that their problem was resolved promptly. There seem to be only two reports of this issue and without further logs I can’t ascertain whether they are the same problem. I am committed to investigating your problem and putting it right.

The fact that you have to use workarounds, even on a Raspberry Pi suggest that the issue you are experiencing is not limited to the Vero and may be a problem with your setup.

Happy to help you out solving the issue, but we also know that the Vero 2 won’t suit everyone’s needs, so we have a pretty good returns policy. Provided you haven’t had the item for an excessive amount of time before you reported the problem, we can accept a return.

Cheers,

Sam

Hi Sam,

sorry for the attitude, it’s just that it is really annoying having to deal with this.

Please let me know exactly which logs you need and I will post them here. I would also need to know the commands.

So far, the only way to get it to work is to reboot it via SSH.
Also, I have to do it a few times, as one usually is not enough. Sometimes I even have to unplug the power cord and then plug it in again.

The problem always occurs when I turn the Projector off for the first time. I then turn it on again, and I don’t get signal anymore until I reboot 5+ times via SSH.

Thank you,

Gianluca

After more attempts, it looks like that I get the image back only in the following way:

sudo reboot

Then quickly unplug the HDMI cable

Wait for about 15 seconds

Plug the HDMI cable in again.

Then it works, more or less consistently. A simply reboot won’t help. Also, sometimes with this procedure I am unable to set the resolution back to 1080p: the image is displayed, but in 720p. If this happens, the only solution is to unplug the HDMI, unplug the power cord of Vero 2, wait for a few minutes and plug it back in.

This is so messed up…

Hi Sam, here’s one more finding: if I tell Vero2 to shutdown with the TV (CEC settings), it does shutdown properly and when I turn the projector on again, I don’t get the blank screen but the shutdown log (I then have to unplug it and replug it anyway to restart it, but the image is there at least).

I think the problem may be that when I shutdown the projector and then turn it on again, Vero tries to push some completely wrong resolution and refresh rate to the screen, which then fails to show anything. As soon as I unplug Vero and then plug it back in, it detects the correct settings instead.

How can we fix this?

Run grab-logs -A. I also need to know:

This would make sense if you have an AVR. I suspect that when you turn off the projector, the AVR falls back to a more ‘safe’ EDID of 720p, and when you power your equipment up again, the EDID is read from the projector too slowly for Vero 2 to initially get it (long cables can cause this).

Here’s my suggestions:

• Get the logs (as I will need them). Capture them before, and after you get the problem and send me the two URLs.
  • If your AV receiver (if you have one) doesn’t hold the HDMI, then the power down and power up sequence may let you work around this:

Turning off:

– Try powering down the AV receiver first.
– Then powering down the projector

Turning on:

– Try powering on the projector first
– Then power on the AV receiver.

Sam

Hi Sam,

The setup is the following:
Vero 2 plugged to the projector (HDMI)
Vero 2 plugged to the AVR via spdif for digital audio.

There is no direct link between the projector and the AVR.

Does this help?

I will pull the log tonight when I get back home and try what you have suggested.

Thank you,

Gianluca

I am not alone with Vero2 freezing.

Clean reinstall OSMC didn’t help for me as well.
Sam need your attention, is it a hardware issue since RPI2 didn’t have any problem?
I tot I was buying and supporting a better hardware than RPI.

Hi Mike,

I am sorry to hear you are having some freezing. This appears to be a different situation, as the poster’s in this thread reports issues when turning their TV off and back on later. We have confirmed that their systems are still responsive (via SSH), so I think your issue is not related.

I’ll follow up with your other post, but it’s important to make sure that @gianrond’s and the other uses issue gets some visibility as well.

I don’t think it’s a hardware problem if it happens with a specific stream or set of subs. I think our support is pretty good, and of course, if there is a hardware problem, your device will be replaced.

Sam

Hi Sam,

http://paste.osmc.io/ezupijurun

Fresh logs with Projector turned on, Vero freshly power on, and AVR turned on as well.

Here the resolution is 1080p and all is working good.

Then I tried exactly what you have suggested:

• AVR turned off first
  • Projector turned off.

Then to power it on I have (in this order)

• Powered on the Projector first
  • Powered on the AVR

And I get no image, as usual.

This is the second log, that is when the screen stays black (but SSH works):
http://paste.osmc.io/ikojaditid

I am not sure if this helps, but I hope so.

Notice anything strange in the log? Once again, the setup is the following:
Projector connected via HDMI to the Vero
AVR connected to the Vero via SPDIF.

Thank you,

Gianluca

What I don’t understand is why the cmdline says that the resolution is set to 720p50hz…I think this could be a problem. When I manually unplug the power cord and plug it back in to get Vero to work, the resolution is 1080p.

Another finding: when the screen is black, if I do the following:

echo 720p >/sys/class/display/mode

Then the screen works again.

If I then give the following command

echo 1080p >/sys/class/display/mode

It still seems to work.

The resolution in OMSC is set to 1080p, and the problem seems to be that after turning the projector off something breaks and has to be manually set to 720p via command and then back to 1080p.

There must be a fix. Is it possible to always force the resolution @ 1080p? I think this is what happens: when I turn the projector off and I turn it on again, for some reason the system thinks that the correct resolution is 720p and it tries to go for it, but this then goes in conflict with the fact the resolution is actually set to 1080p in OSMC, and I get a black screen. With the echo 1080p command then the two values are aligned again and Vero works again.

@sam_nazarko This seems to be exactly the same problem that I have:

I was going to reply a bit earlier but got pulled away. Well done on doing some testing and setting modes with sysfs. It confirms some suspicions.

See this:

logo=osd1,loaded,0x7900000,720p50hz,full hdmimode=720p50hz 

Vero 2 is being told that the preferred video mode is 720p50Hz, so it’s trying to use that. I suspect the projector’s EDID later gets read by the AVR, but it’s then too late for the Vero 2 to adjust the resolution without causing some issues. Kodi doesn’t get a callback from the kernel about the change, so it’s handling things with a different resolution in mind.

I suspect that even if you booted up the Vero 2 without the projector plugged in, and just the AVR, the Vero 2 would still get that EDID because most AVRs try and use it as a safe default.

So when you boot, you get:

Aug 29 19:25:18 osmc kernel: tvmode set to 720p
Aug 29 19:25:18 osmc kernel: mode is 10,sync_duration_den=1,sync_duration_num=60
Aug 29 19:25:18 osmc kernel: request vpu clk holdings: vencp 106250000Hz
Aug 29 19:25:18 osmc kernel: TV mode 720p selected.
Aug 29 19:25:18 osmc kernel: tvoutc_setmode[505]
Aug 29 19:25:18 osmc kernel: tvoutc_setmode[516] mode is 10
Aug 29 19:25:18 osmc kernel: vinfo mode is: 720p
Aug 29 19:25:18 osmc kernel: new mode 720p set ok

Then shortly after, your projector’s real EDID gets sent, and we pick that up.

Aug 29 19:25:28 osmc kernel: tvmode set to 1080p
Aug 29 19:25:28 osmc kernel: mode is 12,sync_duration_den=1,sync_duration_num=60
Aug 29 19:25:28 osmc kernel: request vpu clk holdings: vencp 159375000Hz
Aug 29 19:25:28 osmc kernel: TV mode 1080p selected.
Aug 29 19:25:28 osmc kernel: tvoutc_setmode[505]
Aug 29 19:25:28 osmc kernel: tvoutc_setmode[516] mode is 12
Aug 29 19:25:28 osmc kernel: vinfo mode is: 1080p
Aug 29 19:25:28 osmc kernel: new mode 1080p set ok
Aug 29 19:25:28 osmc kernel: hdmitx: video: get current mode: 1080p

I suspect if you ran the Vero 2 directly to the projector as a test, you wouldn’t get this problem.

If you want to force 1080p, then you can edit /etc/rc.local. It should look as follows. I don’t have this problem, but I have an AVR and Projector and simulated a similar situation, where I forced my projector in to 720p and made sure that stuck.

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

echo "1080p" > /sys/class/mode
echo "edid" > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config 

exit 0

Let me know how you get on. This similar to the hdmi_mode approach you described on a Pi in config.txt. The reason we don’t let people set boot video modes like this is that they could set a bad value, and have difficulties changing it on the internal storage (it’s not as easily accessible as an SD card).

Edit: I see that you have your Vero 2 directly connected to the projector. The Vero 2 only gives a device 250ms to present its EDID before there is a timeout. On long cables, this can take a bit of time. The above solution should still stand though.

Cheers,

Sam

Hi Sam,

thanks for your help.

The script works fine if I reboot from OSMC, as it would run and then set the correct resolution (even if I had to add a step in between:

echo “720p” > /sys/class/display/mode (to change resolution to 720p first, or it won’t work)
echo “1080p” > /sys/class/display/mode
echo “edid” > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

The problem is that usually I would turn off the projector, but the OSMC would actually be still powered on. Then as soon as I turn the projector on again, the script would run and the issue would still be there.

So basically the script allows me to get the image simply by rebooting without having to unplug the cable, but if I simply turn the projector off and then on again it won’t help.

We need to somehow change manually the EDID settings. How can we do this, so that it stops changing them to 720p?

Cheers

Gianluca