Do not use "idle mode" in my Vero2

Hi Gianluca,

With the recommended changes you shouldn’t be setting the resolution to 720p in /sys/class/display/mode. You also shouldn’t be experiencing a mode change with just:

echo "1080p" > /sys/class/**display**/mode
echo "edid" > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

Have you tried with just these two commands? A log with this will help me a lot.

Best

Sam

So if I only use the two commands (without the /class/display/mode but only /class/mode)

echo “1080p” > /sys/class/mode
echo “edid” > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

The screen tries to switch to 1080p, but it fails to do so (I can hear it trying to change the resolution). After a while it boots @ 720p.

Here’s the log file:

http://paste.osmc.io/oyeqayavub

If I write instead

echo “1080p” > /sys/class/display/mode
echo “edid” > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

it works upon reboot (@1080p), but it still doesn’t if I turn the projector on and off again without reboot OSMC (screen stays black)

http://paste.osmc.io/asawonores

Hi Sam,

I really think I need a custom EDID here. Can you help me and explain how to create one? Or to always enforce the correct EDID and disregard the other one (the 720p one)

Thanks

Gianluca

That will work too.

I spoke to @kszaq about this and he had some suggestions. I’m going to produce a kernel which you can install via SSH.

I’ll let you know when it’s ready for testing

Sam

Thanks Sam, looking forward to it.

Here is the new kernel, and instructions on how to install it:

wget "https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjkpkgo8ylguwxd/vero2-no-hpd.deb?dl=0" -O vero2-image.deb
sudo dpkg -i vero2-image.deb
sudo reboot

I hope that this helps. It might not be a suitable change for everyone though, so I may need to make it a module parameter or find a better way to allow this to be customised.

Log will also help if you have problems.

Thanks sam, will try tonight.

Do I need to disable the rc.local script?

You might need to still set 1080p as this suppresses HPD events.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I have installed the kernel. Now I see image when I turn the projector on, but resolution is set to 720p in spite of rc.locals (where we force it @ 1080). Also, I can’t change the resolution in GUI as it’s greyed out.

Any thoughts?

Log file http://paste.osmc.io/voboyihufi

Ok, changing the rc.locals from

echo “1080p” > /sys/class/mode

to

echo “1080p” > /sys/class/display/mode

Seems to have done the trick. The resolution is still greyed out and I can’t change it in the GUI, but at least is set to 1080p. I tried to turn off and on the projector a couple of times and so far it seems to work.

I’ll report back in the next days and will let you know if there are any troubles.

Thanks for the good support!

Yes, because you wanted to force it to 1080p :slight_smile:

This solution isn’t ideal for everyone, so I’ll setup module param or something to deal with it better.

Sam

Hi Sam,

so the kernel works fine, meaning that since I flashed it I had no issues with the projector anymore.

However, there are still two open points:

1. Yesterday OSMC had detected an update, and asked to install it. As soon as I did, I had the old problem again (black screen), and I had to re-flash the kernel that you have provided me with.
  2. The resolution is still greyed out, meaning that I can’t change it, and this occurs even if I disable the rc.local script. Per se this wouldn’t be a problem, as I don’t actually have to change it, but…I can’t turn on the “Adjust display refresh rate” option in “Playback”. If I do, as soon as I start playing a movie, I get the usual blue screen.

This is related to the fact that the resolution is somehow forced (once again, even without the rc.local script, as the only thing it does is to ensure that it’s set to 1080p instead of 720p), and it would then fail to adjust the refresh rate.

Reason why I want to enable the Adjust refresh rate thing is that I occasionally notice some minor stutter, and I think this would solve it.

So, how can we fix the two problems?

Many thanks,

Gianluca

The kernel I proposed above has changes that are not included in OSMC yet, so if you install an update, you revert these changes. I had expected you would be on the August update of OSMC before you attempted to install this kernel. You should be able to just reinstall it though.

As mentioned before, I need to find a better way of getting it in to OSMC proper so that it is configurable on a user-by-user basis.

I’ll investigate this, but I expect that as we have hardcoded the resolution to 1080p, other resolutions are now not available. Was this always an issue, or is it only an issue since you made the /etc/rc.local changes?

I was on August update, but for some reason I was asked to update OSMC. Not sure why…

Anyway, I had this issue also prior to the rc.local change. How can I fix it?

Only a kernel update would revert this change, and I haven’t pushed any new changes since then to the Release repository. Double check /etc/apt/sources-list and make sure you are not using the jessie-devel repository. For now, you can either reinstall the kernel, or you can wait for the next update where it will be added.

The problem is probably that your projector is not reporting support for other refresh rates / modes. You can see what your projector is claiming to support with:

cat devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap

What we have done above is effectively set an ‘hdmi_mode’ like you were doing on the Pi. Unfortunately this seems like a limitation with your display. We could force the output to 1080p24 if you are sure your projector supports it, but this may give problems with non 23.976Hz playback.

If I run kodi from my laptop the automatic refresh rate change works fine, and it also worked fine with the RPI 3 I had before, so it’s likely not the projector’s fault.

Regarding the kernel update, does it mean that starting from September I can safely run the update without losing the custom kernel? Meaning that you will include the changes for everyone else as well?

Cheers

I will include the changes when there is a better way for this option to be turned on / off. It will probably land in the September update.

I believe you said you had to set hdmi_mode before on your Raspberry Pi. This would suggest that the EDID the projector sends isn’t correct. My mistake if that was someone else’s report and I am mixing you up.

I need the output of the above command though.

Hi, no, it wasn’t me.

The only problem I have with the current setup is the stutter. It does occasionally stutter and that’s a bit annoying, all things considered. I am pretty sure this is due to the fact that we force 1080p @ 60hz, but on the other hand I don’t know how we fix this?

Ok, for some reason now I am getting the black screen again, and it only works if I force the resolution at 720p…

http://paste.osmc.io/ohevabusol

Mate, I am about to give up on this one…