External (Mediatek) WiFi adapter/dongle not working with May/June 2017 update

My external WiFi adapter stopped working with the latest update. It was working and downloaded the update (updating from the April update).

Windows lists it as ‘802.11ac Wireless LAN Card’ by ‘MediaTek Inc.’

I had previously disabled the onboard WiFi adapter as it had poor quality by editing the config.txt (as described in this forum post: Turn off onboard pi3 wifi).

Big OSMC fan, you guys do great work! Thanks in advance for any assistance :slight_smile:

Regards
Dave

There is a potential issue with a missing file that is required by the mediatek driver.
Can you provide the URL from dmesg | paste-log so that we can crosscheck if it same topic.

I know what this will be.

A fix for this should come later this afternoon.

11 posts were split to a new topic: External (Realtek) WiFi adapter/dongle not working with May/June 2017 update

Wifi dongle is no longer working with the June update, (worked great until the update). I have the Tp-Link Archer T2U AC600 wifi dongle. OSMC will not even recognize that it is plugged in to the USB port. Is there a driver install script that I need to get it working again? The internal Wifi on the Pi3 board is very sketchy Any help is greatly apperciated.

I changed driver for 8812au as a lot of improvements have been made from the (slightly more upstream) driver.

Need VID/PID and dmesg to proceed.

Hope this is what you need…

[ 493.607516] usb 1-1.4: Product: WiFi
[ 493.607521] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: MediaTek
[ 493.607525] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 1.0
[ 1036.656772] usb 1-1.4: USB disconnect, device number 6
[ 1740.444832] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 7 using dwc_otg
[ 1740.589865] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=148f, idProduct=761a
[ 1740.589875] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber =3

Doesn’t look like an 8812au, but rather a Mediatek 7610U.
We’ve never officially supported this dongle, beyond the official OSMC one.

Will look tomorrow and see if it can be resolved in next month’s update. Can you take a photo of the dongle?

Thanks

Here’s a picture of the dongle. I hope you get it figured out, I just bought 2 of them 2 days ago, lol. Should I hold out for a fix or should I return them? They worked great BTW, lol.

I’ll investigate. If it’s a missing VID/PID combo, it’s an easy fix.
But 8812au was the only driver I significantly changed, so shouldn’t be that.

The official dongle is MT7610U based and I only added support for 4.9 (tested). Didn’t change anything that would impact support for existing devices, so it needs further investigation.

Sam

An update will come later today which will resolve this issue.

Great work Sam, thanks for the extremely prompt support!

Awesome, thank you Sam!

It would be great if someone could test this kernel, which hopefully
resolves the issue.

wget "https://www.dropbox.com/s/uaimeepufmaf825/rbp2-image-4.9.29-4-osmc.deb?dl=1" -O kernel.deb
sudo dpkg -i kernel.deb
sudo reboot

Looking forward to your feedback

Sam

I can confirm this solved the issue for my OSMC WiFi Dongle (Mediatek)

An update came but still no wifi

Did you try the wget solution that @sam_nazarko posted?

Yea i did but solved nothing. After that till now i have received 2 updates by manually updating in my osmc but still no solution.
Looks like i should install osmc 16 and block updates and stay happy lol.

You don’t say what dongle you have, so how about a dmesg so your problem can be checked out?

If that works for you, go for it.
I suspect others will be happy to wait 30 minutes for an update instead :wink:

I don’t think you tried my solution in the 8192EU thread