HDR-issue with 2017 LG OLEDs or with the Vero?

Using the same HDR Cinema (USER), yes. I just tested again using Technicolor preset and it’s about the same, which is to be expected.

Either way, the results are different from my Vero 4K+.

Someone got the multpliers wrong in the message :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Do you mean the SEI message or the log-entry message?

If the latter, it’s just a logging error then? Is that also the cause of the “codec: No master display info” a few lines above?

The log entry. Nothing to do with codecs.

Interesting, is your Panasonic TV a 2017/EZ series OLED by any chance @grahamh?

I’ve tested the same clip on my 2018/FZ series OLED (current available TV firmware) using my Vero 4K+ (on current release firmware) and the white level clips at 75%/1000 nit mark on Professional1/2 settings.

Turning on HDR Brightness Control recovers the highlights at 75%, anything above it is still clipped.

I do have my setup connected through an intermediary soundbar however.

1 Like

Nope. Poor man’s EX700.

Just to add to this, I tried all 3 test files on my LG C9 and all of them only go to 75% via my Vero 4K+,
however trying them via the Kodi fork MRMC on my 4k Firestick I get 75% for the 1000 nit test, 85% on the 2000 one and 89% on the 4000 test

1 Like

Good, thanks. That’s expected.

Tested this on Vero 4K+ using a 2017 LG (B7 with firmware 05.80.35), Dynamic Contrast set to Off and Picture Mode set to Technicolor Expert.

All three files flashes up to the 4000 nits point.

Nvidia Shield test

To make it interesting… When played back on an Nvidia Shield TV (2017) in SPMC the 2000 and 4000 nit files behave correctly, but not the 1000 nit file.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

Can you clue me in why? All 3 files have different max display luminance values.

Was your Vero 4K+ plugged into the same HDMI port as your FireTV stick on your TV? If not, check if you have the same picture preset for both inputs when you tested. The preset on your TV for the Vero should not have Dynamic Tone Mapping enabled (or some other Dynamic-whatever feature). DTM ignores HDR metadata and does a frame-by-frame analysis to apply its own interpretation of the best tonemapping.

I’ve never fully trusted the Shield, it had color issues since the beginning and for quite some time.

Because Vero is defaulting to 1000nit in the metadata.

I’m confused. I thought the Vero is supposed to correctly transmit 1000 or 4000 or whatever it says in the mastering display luminance metadata. Isn’t that sort of the point of this thread? Sam said in this thread the Vero only falls back to 1000 when there’s no metadata (or the SEI parser cannot extract this data).
What am I missing?

You’re missing that in most cases the SEI parser cannot extract the data so the default is transmitted. It’s an issue we’ve been struggling with and have been trying to get some answers from AMLogic for a while.

So it is unsurprising that 1000nits is transmitted. It is surprising that displays don’t apparently always respond in the way expected.

What?! This is a brand new piece of information to me. This makes all of this testing useless. Even more so as it seems the SEI parser is randomly working or not working as clearly the same files work for some people on here but not for others.
It sounds like things won’t change with the upcoming kernel(?)

Wouldn’t a better solution be to extract the HDR data yourself (MediaInfo lib or something) in that case and transmit that data instead of the 1000 fallback? Otherwise there’s really no point in keeping the Vero 4K :neutral_face:

Actually I have no data to back up the ‘most’. What Vero can and can’t do was discussed at length in HDR too dark on TV. Somewhere in there it says some seis are being read and some aren’t and it’s clear what was done with the default mastering data at that time.

We looked at trying to extract the sei data by other means as a workaround but it wasn’t practical. It would be even less practical for HDR10+.

Here we go again…

Go where? I just want my shit to work. After 2 years.

1 Like

Yes the recent news are slightly discouraging to say the least. I was also under the impression that the only thing between now and perfect HDR playback ( non Dolby vision) on the vero is the new kernel people were talking about.

Even more concerning for me is that I can’t just say oh shit happens and buy Some other device to use until maybe vero catches up,or maybe can I ?

If I’m properly informed Apple TV 4K plays only Netflix and co content perfectly but for proper 4k HDR remux with Dolby vision or HDR+ playback from file id need to buy one of the oppo clones or try to find some guy that doesn’t know what he has and is selling his oppo for a reasonable price because new in box oppos now sell for 5x or 6x of the original price

I still didn’t pull the tiger and buy a flagship 4k tv but once I’ll do it I’ll want to make damn sure that the content I’m watching is presented the way it was intended to because if not why spent a few thousand on a tv and a thousand more on professional calibration if then the media player isn’t capable to transfer what’s on the disc to the tv correctly. Might as well hold off a nother few years and spend the money on something else instead

1 Like

I already did, gonna pick it up later today :slight_smile: