[HOW-TO ALL PLATFORMS]Can I use Netflix on OSMC?(post 4)

I was having this same problem last week, but now Netflix is working just fine without me changing anything. I have now received a prompt to update to a new version of libwidevine, so just checking if that would be a safe thing to do? I don’t have a version number for that of course, but I assume the update would be to whatever is the current latest version.

I installed this Netflix addon yesterday. I seem to only get maybe 480p… is there any way to get 1080p? Is this a configuration option? I have looked in this thread but it’s long and seems to have conflicting info… I’d love to get 1080p+DD5.1 working then I pretty much have an all-in-one solution. I’m using a Vero 4. (not 4k)

Thanks for that. I’ve scanned this whole thread now and set to 720p. I was hoping for 1080p but see software decoding is the issue. Also having issues with audio sync. I think I’ll just abandon this as I have about 4 other devices that just work with Netflix and I can just use one of them. Using Kodi would have been great as everything else works great there.

Subtitles seem to get messed up if the output is 720x480. (They look okay if I upscale to 1080p). Anyone know if that’s a Netflix plug-in problem or an OSMC issue?

@joakim_s, I suggest the final step of running your script should be

rm ./netflix_prep_install.sh

Otherwise, the next time you download the script, it’ll get renamed to netflix_prep_install.sh.1 etc.

Also wondering if there’s any way to automate the process a little more. The script is fine for a one-off install, but it’s a pain having to go through the whole process again every time a new version of the Netflix plug-in comes out and you want to upgrade to it. One really needs a parent script that uninstalls the old version of Netflix and then automates the installation from .zip file of the new version. (That or the plug-in needs to be installed in such a way that it can update itself automatically, like a plugin from an online repository).

Thanks for the feedback.

The script was made for the “one-off” installation purpose, You don’t need the script to upgrade, you just need to download the latest from github, but agreed that’s not as simple as running the script.

I could do some changes to the script like check if the apt-packages are installed, and the python packages too, but that wouldn’t change that much. Since those that are installed are ignored in the script anyway, just giving a silent error message.

The actual add-on install needs manual installation still, I could do it automatically from the script, but problem is if there is new dependencies introduced those wont be installed and that would break the add-on.

The remove part will be integrated, I don’t like removing files per automation, but since it’s the file you have downloaded and i know the actual filename of the script i think it wont make a difference, and i’m already doing it for the older Netflix-addon.zips in addons-folder if you run the script a second time.

Yes thanks a lot for the Skript.

If you put this inside it.

#Set UTF-8; e.g. “en_US.UTF-8” or “de_DE.UTF-8”:
export LC_ALL=“C.UTF-8”

#Tell ncurses to use line characters that work with UTF-8.
export NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS=1

And you get Lines inside the dialog Windows and not special character

Thank you @MarkusLange

I’ve put your suggestion into the script . Hope it works as it should now.

I don’t think this change is working. I think possibly you have an extra “./” in front of the filename in the “rm” line.

Let me check, haven’t tried the newest script just yet, been occupied with other projects.

Will do a check of the script and then do a clean install on a pi3.

Okey, changed the script, to check if the file exists in home folder, and if it does, remove the file.

Did a clean install, a couple of locale warnings since the UTF-8 changes, but the script goes through and i got nice lines. Everything works Netflix add-on v 0.15.3, downloads libwidevine, and plays okey.

I mentioned this before:

Touch wood, I think this may have been fixed in the latest version of Widevine, which is nice.

EDIT: No, spoke too soon, still a problem. Maybe I’ll start another thread about that.

I think I still have Netflix plugin 0.15.2. Been trying to work around the performance hit with the last Widevine update. Tried overclocking to 1.5 GHz and increasing SDRAM to 500 MHz as well. Didn’t seem to work and, since there’s no point in risking overheating, I put it back to default. Scaling back the max video resolution to 526 (I think, can’t recall the exact option) seems to be best option for now.

I just installed 15.3 and a widevine update was also triggered on first playback, and all the issues I had with certain BBC 1080 titles are now gone, perfect 720 playback on the Pi and the Vero.

3 Likes

Make it a point to update tonight, thanks :slight_smile:

Worked a charm thank you!

i’ll be testing netflix in the next days. i could do this with my tv but i’d prefer to run it on my vero 4k.
is there are reason why i should use the TV app and not the Kodi addon?

Your TV app can most likely do Netflix in 4k Resolution if it’s a 4K TV or 1080p if its an older model. Meanwhile vero4k can only do Netflix at 720p

1 Like

Good evening. I have RP3b+. Latest software for Kodi, osmc, such. I have everything installed and operating. However when I go to Netflix, all menus, accounts, etc work great. I play a video and the screen is blank, but when I pause, it shows all information like slider, time playing increments, movie title, but the movie itslef is blank. No errors are seen. Any suggestions?

Tried to disable OMX acceleration?

1 Like