[HOW-TO ] retrOSMCmk2: a RetroPie installer on the Vero4K

Can you post some logs, let us know a bit about your audio setup and also let us know which emulators you’re trying?

Sam

How odd. I’ve just done a reinstall as it happens. So all default settings.
I’ve tested the Game Boy, Megadrive and PS1 cores on Retroarch and I’m not getting the problem you describe.
I just have the Vero plugged directly into the TV. No AVR etc.

Heya, struggling a bit here. I have installed this but had trouble pairing my ps3 sixaxis controllers via bluetooth (only works when wired). I tried downgrading the kernel as suggested in this thread: Latest update and PS3 sixaxis controller - RetroPie Forum but that bricked my OSMC so I have reformatted and installed everything but still can’t manage to pair my controllers via bluetooth.

Any ideas as to where I’m going wrong? How can I get these things paired?

Is there any way to set custom resolutions?
My vero is now running the new kernel with 1360x768p60hz but whenever I try to run Retroarch I get the same display error like I did before but I cant find the file I edited last time to fix it.

The new launcher only show the standard 480p 720p and 1080p resolutions, none of which work.

There is a 4.9 branch of the add-on in preparation for the switch. We’ll report back when the newer resolutions are on board.

2 Likes

Is it possible to use the retroarch frontend [xmb] instead of emulationstation?

It could be done, sure, but you’d only be able to use Retroarch cores.

Thanks. I completely forgot retroarch was actually part of RetroPie. Why I didn’t think to hunt for the retroarch binary on my OSMC installation I don’t know!

I really need your help. I installed RetroPie about 5 times and always have the same issue. When I try to load a saved state, RetroArch crashes and i get the following error:

/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh: line 1270: 8103 Bus error /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-snes9x2010/snes9x2010_libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/snes/retroarch.cfg "/home/osmc/RetroPie/roms/snes/Babumm (U) [!].smc" --appendconfig /dev/shm/retroarch.cfg

The saved state seems to be there and also has a reasonable size. But everytime I’m loading the state, screen goes to emulationstation again. Unfortunately this also happens with gba emulator as well.

When I start RetroArch manually with verbose
/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -v -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-snes9x2010/snes9x2010_libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/snes/retroarch.cfg "/home/osmc/RetroPie/roms/snes/Babumm (U) [!].smc" --appendconfig /dev/shm/retroarch.cfg
I’ll get the following response:
[INFO] State size: 5000000 bytes. [INFO] Saving state: "RAM". [INFO] State size: 5000000 bytes. [INFO] State size: 5000000 bytes. Bus error

Are you always playing SNES ROMs? As I recall savestates crash on that version of SNES9x.
Use the previous version and you’ll likely be fine. 2005 I think it is.

1 Like

actually that fixed the problem. Thank you!

All users of this addon please be aware:

When upgrading OSMC from Stretch to Buster you will need to “Update retrOSMCmk2” from the installer menu. Otherwise Kodi may experience a “Sad Face Loop”.

You will also need to update EmulationStation and RetroArch from binary. Do this as usual via RetroPie-Setup, as accessed from the installer.

Hi, I did the full update as described after moving to Buster. The updates seem to install fine, but now when I launch into Emulation Station from the update RetroPie shortcut, my screen is completely glitching out and flashing at me, similar to earlier posts.

My Fbset before I ran RetroPie:
mode “1920x1080”
geometry 1920 1080 1920 2160 32
timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode

Fbset in ES:

mode “1280x720”
geometry 1280 720 1920 2160 32
timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode

I don’t know if that helps at all? I’m just using a standard Sony 1080p60 TV. Everything was fine in ES before upgrading to Buster and the new RetroPie scripts. I haven’t made any edits to the launch.sh script, it’s as standard.

In the addon settings there is an option for selecting a launch resolution. It is there to prevent precisely this issue. I’m not sure why you’re getting this default 1280x720 for ES on Buster, but give the menu a try.

Thanks, that seems to have fixed it. Don’t remember having to set this option before, but maybe I did. Anyhow fbset now reports 1920 x 1080 properly.

Curious to know how much the cores have changed from Stretch to Buster; have there been many improvements? I had a quick go on Mario 64 and it seemed to run well.

That’s great. Took a bit of writing that did, and just to address this issue on a few reported TVs, so I’m glad it works! No other reasons I can think of to change it, unless you like your ES particularly low res and upscaled by your TV for a “retro feel”.

As for performance - I don’t foresee any major improvements just because of a newer package base.

I’ve rebuilt the binaries that were broken by Buster package dependencies, to keep you all on the road. Others remain as they were for now. I’ll likely update in due course, but for safety I don’t do it too frequently in case cutting edge builds introduce issues, and I can’t extensively test every emulator/core. If you’re curious about a specific emulator you can always try the update from source option and report back how it is running. Then I can update the online builds. What you can’t easily do is install an older version if it turns out the new ones are broken…

Hi All, had it all working perfectly for quite some time (thank you hissingshark!!), then one day after some OSMC updates, no more emulationstation launch from within kodi (kodi quits, it tries to start, but fails and kodi starts up again) …

Tried starting emulationstation from CLI, which gave the following error:
“/opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation/emulationstation: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_3’ not found (required by /opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation/emulationstation)”

OK… seems some library got updated and emulationstation not happy…
Anyone have any idea how to fix this (before I start re-installing too much stuff…)?
Thank you!

Ok almost all fixed again…
Updated OSMC on CLI by using “sudo apt-get update” and “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” as per instructions.
Then updated retroOSMCmk2 through CLI script “./retrOSMCmk2/setup.sh”… updated everything including retroPie…
Had to manually remove launcher v.1.0.0., and install launcher 2.0.0 (v.2 wow very neat hissingshark!)

did my high-scores survive all this upgrading?.. whoohoo it did!
Just the aspect-ration of games now not correct anymore, but else all working perfectly again!
Digging some more to fix aspect ratios :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, you really hadn’t changed anything for a while had you! Well done for getting the old launcher removed. I guess things had moved on so far that was no longer taken into account.

Game data lives with the ROMs usually, so yes, that should be safe from a re-install.

Aspect ratios are normally controlled from the retroarch.cfg files for each emulator:

# Index of the aspect ratio selection in the menu.
# 19 = Config, 20 = 1:1 PAR, 21 = Core Provided, 22 = Custom Aspect Ratio
# aspect_ratio_index = 19

Or you can try and set them from the RetroArch menu, accessed by hotkey + X on your controller. Same thing.

>> Wow, you really hadn’t changed anything for a while had you!
Indeed…about a year or so, but you know what they say: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it :blush:

Thanks HissingShark!, changed the aspect ratio index in retroarch.cfg file for emulator, and aspect ratio all good again (it was on 21, changed it to 20… I probably fiddled with it when I initially installed it…)