How will I not pay extra taxes when importing from UK?

Hi, wondering how this can happen in real life:

Please note that the prices you see on our website are the final prices and you will not pay additional fees .

Don’t you declare the package as having a value? I can’t see how I will not be made to pay Danish VAT plus handling fees from our postal service PostNord.

Of course we declare the value of the items when exporting – and this is important for insurance purposes.

For some reason people seem to think the sky has fallen, when in reality we are just sending goods now to the EU in the same way we that we shipped goods outside of the EU (like Switzerland or Norway). Goods are sent DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) where necessary so that customs fees are covered at the point of posting. The Cooperative Trade Agreement also allows us to claim preferential duty rates based on rules of origin.

2 Likes

I’ve just checked and deliveries to Germany (I know you are in Denmark, but Germany is usually a good benchmark) are taking about three working days, which isn’t bad at all. This is probably helped by the fact that we are now using electronic customs data, which seems to be improving clearance time; particularly with USPS in the US.

1 Like

Nah no sky falling here, only a bit of snow.

I was just wondering as I have never from any non-EU country ever experienced that any company has been using DDP as you call it and I have never heard of it before. Usually they just leave it up to the buyer to deal with the hassle, VAT and fees, but if there is another way and you’re doing that, then great!
Normally I would have to risk paying 25% VAT + PostNord handling fee of ~£20 + varying customs depending on the type of item.

1 Like

Things should get even easier (for businesses) from 1st July, after the EU introduce a one-stop-shop like approach (like VATMOSS, which is used for digital goods). Although this has been pushed back already – it’s target date was 1st January, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s delayed again.

1 Like

Yeah I think we all are a little bit sorry that you leave the EU

@djondjoe DDP is real. It’s an INCOTERM (use your favourite search engine to learn more) and has been around for many years.

But I would agree, @sam_nazarko is one of the few that use it. Most companies don’t want the hassle of understanding different import rules and leave the buyer to figure it out.

I think it says a lot about his attention to detail and focus on the customer.

I think the biggest issue for us won’t be handling the shipping process post-Brexit, but instilling confidence that they will get their items without issues.

Even after 1st January 2020, when we began the 12 month transition period, there were some customers who thought that we had then left the customs union, and that ordering from us would be prohibitively expensive / difficult.

I’m hoping we can also build up a larger reseller network this year as some customs will always prefer to shop in a local market to avoid hassle.

1 Like

I’ve gotten 2 packages from the UK.

One from BK Electronics which was handled subliem, paid no UK VAT and DPD the courier sended me an email with the total import costs and VAT for NL.
This whole procedure took more then 2 weeks for the delivery, which normaly took 3-4 days.

The other package was from Zavvi.nl which send the package from the UK, this took 3 weeks and I still need to get refunded for the costs.

So … I get it why people think the sky has fallen.

I am not gonna order from the UK again unless I know for sure all VAT and import fees are handled correctly.

So far so good for me ordered twice selected ups and fedex for shipping. Both have the option to pay vat upfront to them and they handled the rest took 3-4 working days

I ordered a Vero 4k+ a few days ago, and yesterday I got a message from PostNord (Denmark) that I have to pay 192 DKK to import the package (import duty) - that is around +20%. I’m having a really hard time seeing how this is “… prices you see on our website are the final prices and you will not pay additional fees”!
So if anyone is importing this to Denmark, please be aware, that there is an extra cost.

Sorry to hear this.

That shouldn’t be the case and we have been shipping to Denmark regularly without issues since 01/01.

Have you contacted us about this via the support system?

We should be able to sort this out for you by providing PostNord with the relevant information about your order.

We did have some issues at the start with Post Nord in Sweden for a few customers, but they have since been resolved. Despite us sending the items DDP and covering charges on our side, they tried to double charge customers and add a handling fee. We were able to resolve this for Swedish customers. Perhaps they’ve tried this trick in Denmark – as Post Nord operate there as well.

PostNord is the scourge of Nordic countries, former govermental non profit postservice of sweden, turn semi government owned with profit required mower days.

Hi

I know this thread is a bit old now, but it seemed relevant to my question.

The EU rules changed on 1st July 2021 so that VAT is now payable on all imports from non-EU countries. In looking at the EU website it seems that the One Stop Shop is now active (the first FAQ).

Is OSMC now using the OSS so the VAT (at 23%) will be included in the £99 for a Vero 4K+ if I buy for delivery to Poland?

A similar probelm arises with customs duties. Sam says earlier in this thread that OSMC uses DDP. If I spend more than €150 on goods manufactured outside the UK, they are liable for customs duties when imported to the EU.

If I buy 2 Vero 4K+ units, will the customs duties be included in the £198?

The handling of neither VAT nor customs duties is explained anywhere on the web site that I can find (except on this thread and the rules have changed since the last update here). With this lack of information I do not feel confident to buy anything from a shop based in the UK.

It’s covered on the Terms of Sale page.

From 01/07, items are now send DDU (Delivered Duty Unpaid). Previously, items were sent DDP. This may change in the future, but for now we find the process smoother to send items on a DDU basis and have any charges levied by local authorities.

However as the last place of manufacturing for Vero 4K+ is the UK, we enjoy preferential rates of duty between the UK and EU as per the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement signed on 30/12/20.

You may wish to use a local reseller instead such as this Polish reseller: OSMC Smart TV Box Vero 4K+ QuadCore 2GB RAM / 16 Botland - Robotic Shop.

I am in Canada.
I ordered a Vero 4k+ and it arrived wih no problems and no need to pay extra taxes.
How Sam does it, is none of my concern

1 Like

You did not answer my question about One Stop Shop. I infer from the Terms and Conditions that I may have to pay both VAT and duty if I purchase direct from OSMC.

Botland (the reseller) says it’s not available (although there is a message “Waiting for delivery”). The list of items in the box includes an infared receiver and the picture includes a usb dongle (probably the infared receiver) and an extra cable. I would consider buying from them because they have been OK when I bought things from them in the past, but the minimum order quantity is 10 I do not want that many. Maybe I’ll get a Raspberry Pi instead.

Sorry – I thought I made that clear.

We have not (at the time of writing) implemented IOSS. We may do so in the future – but for now packages are being delivered smoothly, with customs clearance processes sometimes adding a couple of days to delivery timeframes.

It’s the same package as sold on the OSMC website

I will contact Botland about the MOQ listed on their website, as that seems to be in error. They have an oustanding PO with us (an order of remotes); so I will bring this up with them on Monday when fulfilling it.

Thanks

Sam

Quote:
From 01/07, items are now send DDU (Delivered Duty Unpaid). Previously, items were sent DDP. This may change in the future, but for now we find the process smoother to send items on a DDU basis and have any charges levied by local authorities.

I’m not quite sure what this means? Will I myself have to pay 25% VAT plus 20 pound handling fees by Postnord extra here in Denmark or will you pay it?
I can see that the notice in the store about the prices are the final prices have been removed, so I’m guessing VAT and import fees is something I will have to pay myself now?

Hmm okay…

All orders sent outside of the UK are sent DDU. This may be subject to local customs duty and incur additional fees charged on the value of your purchase. Payment of these fees are the responsibility of the recipient.

So the sky has fallen in the end.