[HowTo] Installing RetroPie alongside OSMC RC (the easy way)

pretty easy to get controllers working

just follow this guide

dunno if you already solved it or not

Hi there,
I need a little help, I guess
 Little bit of a noob here, so please be patient with me. I tried to install RetroPie right after a fresh install of OSMC RC3.
Install just said that Samba could not be installed, which I did not worry about much, here the part of the setup log concerning samba

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Installing 'sambashares' : Samba ROM Shares
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Did not find needed package(s): samba samba-common-bin. I am trying to install them now.
Paketlisten werden gelesen...
AbhÀngigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut....
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen....
Probieren Sie »apt-get -f install«, um dies zu korrigieren:
Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfĂŒllte AbhĂ€ngigkeiten:
 samba : HĂ€ngt ab von: heimdal-hdb-api-8
         HĂ€ngt ab von: python-dnspython soll aber nicht installiert werden
         HĂ€ngt ab von: python-ntdb soll aber nicht installiert werden
         HĂ€ngt ab von: python-samba soll aber nicht installiert werden
         HĂ€ngt ab von: samba-dsdb-modules soll aber nicht installiert werden
         HĂ€ngt ab von: tdb-tools soll aber nicht installiert werden
         HĂ€ngt ab von: update-inetd soll aber nicht installiert werden
         HĂ€ngt ab von: libhdb9-heimdal (>= 1.4.0+git20110226) soll aber nicht installiert werden
         HĂ€ngt ab von: libkdc2-heimdal (>= 1.4.0+git20110226) soll aber nicht installiert werden
 samba-common-bin : HĂ€ngt ab von: python-samba soll aber nicht installiert werden
 stella : HĂ€ngt ab von: libsdl2-2.0-0 (>= 2.0.0) soll aber nicht installiert werden
E: UnerfĂŒllte AbhĂ€ngigkeiten. Versuchen Sie »apt-get -f install« ohne Angabe eines Pakets (oder geben Sie eine Lösung an).
Could not install package(s): samba
samba-common-bin.

After the setup of RetroPie I wanted to pair a PS3 Controller, that failed because of some usb-Stuff, but I can’t find a log, maybe somebody knows where to look? I think it was libusb-1.0.0 missing or something like that.

After I exited I was asked to create the Shortcut I said yes, but now I can’t find a shortcut in the OSMC Skin.

So right now I don’t know what to do next? I am stranded without anything, I think. Should I run the INSTALL_RETROPIE_ON_OSMC_RC.sh again? Or any other Script?

I am thankful for any hint

You can try to run the script again and just select cancel at the retropie setup script.
When the shortcut is not created, something went wrong in the second part.

Hope that this potential breakage sam talked about doesn’t kick in with new installations.

Ok, ran the script a second time, no errors. Hit cancel on the setup script. Was asked to create the shortcut, said yes. Script said that the shortcut was already there

I didn’t find it again, so I tried the “Plugin” from @Dalton63841 that worked.
Now I was in emulation station, tried the retropie-setup-script from there, still couldn’t install the ps3 controller things.

I can’t see the wohl screen it’s cut of on the edges and I couldn’t find a setting to fix this, but the error says

fatal error: libusb-1.0/libusb.h: so such file or directory

After that I can only read “lation terminated.” (I assume compilation terminated). Then a lot more stuff, complaining about bluetooth and back into the menu of the setup script.

I’m still having this problem with RC3. Any suggestions?

the source-based installation will not work?

Not with this configuration as i remove all the dev packages from the script to make it less to download and less confusing for the system.

Not right now, sorry.

Try
sudo apt-get install libusb-dev
or something. You need the development files for libusb.

Thanks. I’m also having the same problem with RC 1 and 2 (see post #275). I follow the instructions and I really can’t see what is going wrong. No problems if you don’t know I’ll wait and see what comes about from your recent exchanges with the OSMC team.

Cheers

thanks for your work man!

There is no error when starting emulationstation from ssh?

It spits the following out so I guess something may have gone wrong in the install? I tried running the script again and it didn’t fix it.

osmc@osmc:~$ emulationstation
/usr/bin/emulationstation: line 16: /opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation/emulationstation: No such file or directory

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm.
Are you connected to the internet?
What version is the script you are using? (Open the file to see the version number)
Did you select cancel in the retropie setup screen?

Please also run the binaries installation again as it seems like the emulationstation executable was not installed.

Must have been user error because I went through the script again (twice) and it seems to have worked. Thanks for replies and good luck with the rest of this great project.

Cheers

I have had some minior problems with the script install:

1. I was unable to edit skin items on default OSMC skin (ie hide menu items as Back/OK was not an option open to me). I had thought it was an OSMC issue but it works fine without RetroPie in place Customize Main Menu readability - #7 by Methanoid

2. I had a strange message about missing PVR clients when I installed RetroPie (only) No PVR clients have been started - #2 by DBMandrake

I still love it though :wink:

im working on an addition to this script where before launching retropie it checks for wiimotes for those that use that gonna release it soon once im done with the installer

Nice, you can include a userquery of the end of the installscript if it should be executed on launch or not.
It should be started in the emulationstation script as soon as a variable is set or a certain file exists.

trying it out now seems to do just fine it only launches if wiimotes are successfully added just need to make some free sounds cant use the MS sounds im using now since im sure that probably violates some term

@mcobit wouldnt happen to have a gitlab account by any chance ?

https://gitlab.com/swe_toast/osmc-wiimotes

there it is put in blank sound so anyone that wants to test this just add their own sounds in the ogg format