[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

You can irgnore the first error.
For the second I have an idea. Let me try something first…

When you are in the chroot on the commandline:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

Choose en_US.UTF-8 and make it your standard locale for the system.

Edit /usr/bin/emulationstation and add a line with
LOCALES_ALL=“en_US.UTF-8”

Try again to start emulationstation by typing emulationstation.

If that works, exit the chroot by typing exit and change back the chroot.sh file to the old version where emulationstation is behind the chroot command.

@mcobit do you have idea how to run where_I_install_retrosmc/retroGames/retrosmc/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh from ssh? The problem is that I don’t have attached keyboard and I want to make some changes (add more emulators, etc.). I already try it but when I navigate to script’s folder and run it I get this error:

E: Package 'g++-4.7' has no installation candidate
Unable to install packages required by /home/osmc/wdShare/retroGames/retrosmc/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh
Could not install package(s): git
gcc-4.7
g++-4.7
build-essential
xmlstarlet.

I forgot to mention that my installation is on my NAS which is mounted via nfs.

You cannot run the Retropie-Setup script without being in the chroot environment.
Run it from emulationstation. There is a menu called retropie where you can start it from.

If you want to run it from ssh:
Edit the chroot.sh file and delete the word emulationstation after the chroot command.

Then stop kodi and run the chroot.sh file.
You should be in the retropie chroot commandline then.

Then cd into the RetroPie directory and run the retropie-setup script from there.

When you are done, exit the chroot with exit and reverse the changes to chroot.sh

Edit: Do NOT run the retropie setup script from the osmc environment as it might cause damage to your running system. Only run it while chrooted into the retropie rootfs!

1 Like

Thanks @mcobit it works :smile:

Would you be so kind to post your scripts here? I’ve found

$ xboxdrv \
  --ui-clear \
  --ui-buttonmap a=XK_a,b=XK_b,x=XK_x,y=XK_y \
  --ui-buttonmap dl=XK_Left,dr=XK_Right,du=XK_Up,dd=XK_Down

and the --daemon option but can’t get them working together. By “a new config file that supports retropie (as seen on this forum” you mean method 3 from here, right?

Sorry for ’ English Translated , I’m Italian .
I Followed All Steps to Install retromsc with launcer addon .
When Starting RetroPie launcer from confluence Programs Screen becomes black and then returns a OSMC why not Start ?
I hope you answer me I’m going crazy !

Hello,
please try to delete /home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/video.sh and try again.
Tell me if it worked. If not, I need more information:

What Pi version are you using?
Does the system really reboot? Or does kodi restart?
Do you see the white screen with “Emulationstation loading…”?
Where did you install it to?

I think I introduced some problems on specific configurations with the transition videos. May have to remove them…

Hi!
On version 0.005, I had created symlinks on directory roms/ for snes, nes, megadrive and mame-mame4all pointing to my external HDD mounted on /media. On emulationstation I was able to access my roms on external HDD.
Now, on version 0.006, the same symlinks does not work. On emulation station, the list of roms for these emulators are empty.
How can I load roms from an external HDD?

@rhobison you must change /home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/chroot.sh and add new mount command, I already make this change on my installation because I load the entire rom folder from my NAS. This is how I do it:

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.200:/nfs/Games/data "$INSTALLDIR/retrosmc/home/pi/RetroPie/roms"

That is one option. The other one would be to unlink the rom and BIOS folders and link
/where/it/is/installed/retrosmc/home/pi/RetroPie/roms (BIOS)
To the according folders on your hdd.

I want to link only a few dirs from external HDD (snes, nes, megadrive, mame, etc). How can I do this? I need to mount each dir to the correspondent dir on “$INSTALLDIR/retrosmc/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/” ?

I do not understand, can you clarify?
Sorry, I am new to linux/osmc/retropie.

This needs a reboot to display.
But it doesnt work for me.
Kodi just reboot.

osmc@osmc:~/RetroPie/scripts$ /home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/video.sh: line 10: /retrosmc/usr/bin/omxplayer: No such file or directory

can yo try to delete video.sh from the scripts directory?

Yeah. Not in front of a pc right now. I can post more in detail info tomorrow.

osmc@osmc:~$ /home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/retropie_watchdog.sh: 
22: /home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/retropie_watchdog.sh: /home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/video.sh: not found
Job for mediacenter.service canceled.

With the chroot functionality, is it possible to choose between a stable and latest github build?
Or are you still rebuilding packages to link to OSMC libs?

That is normal. Seems like kodi shuts down but emulationstation is not starting…
What is the contents of the retrosmc-config.cfg file in the scripts directory?
And did you install it to /opt or did you choose another directory?

I will only provide the stable image right now. I need to do some modifications to the image. You can of course update that to whatever version you want with the retropie-setup script or install testing emulators.
You could also make a copy of the entire retrosmc directory and update one but not the other. So you can switch between the two by renaming them.

1 Like

Didn’t know you had stable as default already, still haven’t had time to update… but that sounds good to me!
The option to update through the RetroPie setup script is a warm welcome aswell :smiley: