[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

So…keeping our fingers croosed :smiley:

Exactly that i had in mind. A “somehow” teak at retropie.sh but i am a linux noob in commands…

Try adding the following lines below the #!/bin/bash line in retropie.sh:

sudo cec-client -p 1 &
sleep 1
sudo kill -9 $(pidof cec-client)
1 Like

Wow! I tried it couple of times and it works! :smile: Thanks man!

I think tou should include those lines on your next retropie.sh update…

1 Like

The official Retropie are making changes to work proper on OSMC

more changes are probably coming

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m in contact with the developer. They are preparing a jessie version and want to target osmc on the way. It might still be safer to use the chroot for now as it will do zero changes to the system while if you install RetroPie directly it needs to install a ton of packages to the system.

I will test when it is ready and then I will update my scripts. But only if I’m sure it will work reliably over some updates.

Also I hope that the scripts in RetroPie to manipulate the system for audio out, bluetooth stack and so on, will not break anything in osmc.

Edit: It will also only work when building from source right now.

Great :smile:
I am still collecting fixes here people come up with to add them in an update later. Thanks for spotting that.

Deleted…upon further testing…my method still failed.

@mcobit hey mate, im getting trouble with getting emulation station back to Kodi, whenever i quit it just hangs in command line and does nothing, i’m using last retroosmc with the launcher installed. but unfortunately its not working for me :frowning:

What method again?
To solve what problem?

Edit: Doesn’t my workaround work for you regarding the cec problem?
If so, what exactly is not working?

Please try to delete video.sh from the RetroPie/scripts folder and try again.

Maybe this is weird but i don’t have a file named video.sh inside RetroPie folders, the only file named video.sh i have in my entire system is located in the following path: /usr/lib/mc/ext.d/video.sh

tried to delete that one also but no success =/

So maybe something went wrong during installation…
Run the install-retrosmc.sh script again and use the update scripts option.
Then try again.
Be sure to have some free disk space. (df -h)

@mcobit tl;dr Problem not fixed, failed solution deleted. Still looking for fix/tweak/hack.

I was attempting to use your suggested edits to retropie.sh for cec-client. It didn’t solve my problem. I had originally thought that some changes I made coupled with your suggestions had resolved my issue…I wrote up a long reply explaining my solution but then realized about 10 minutes afterwards that my problem with my TV shutting off when launching EmulationStation remained. So, I edited my post but didn’t make it clear.

With that said, I’m still searching for a solution to my CEC issue where the TV goes to standby as Kodi shuts down…however, I do not want to disable CEC from within Kodi. I use this feature to cause the TV to go into standby when the screensaver activates (for example at night after falling asleep). Its not a huge deal as I can just power the TV back on. Its more just an annoyance, that I’d prefer not to have.

Hello i tried to chanfe the installation directory from x/opt to media/storage to save some space on sd card everything downloaded and installed easily but when i try to run addon it just displays a blank screen with a cursor on top left and again bring me to osmc home …please help …storage is external hard disk with NTFS filesystem.my raspberry pi is b+ model.
And now how can i move everything to sd if libraries are not loading from storage.

Thanks for any help
Keep the good work up :smile:

oh i see, i’ll try that.

just a question, which part of the whole scripts party really starts/calls emulation station?

Edit: i think i figured what was the problem, whenever i quit emulationstation from the menu it doesn’t kills emulation station pid, so the watchdog script never detect that im really quitting. That said i have to log on ssh and type killall -9 emulationstation. Then it finally plays the transition video and get back to Kodi.

The way i found to solve this is create a custom script in retropiemenu that does the killall -9 trick, i’m golden now.

jboy

Silly question but did you go on kodi’s cec settings? There is an option “Devices to power off when stopping kodi” (or smth like that-i am not in front of my rasp right know). Is your tv listed? You should be choose none

Not sure why emulationstation should not be terminated after quitting it, but glad you solved it.
Didn’t notice that anybody else had this problem… Did you by any chance have a problem with switching before and did not reboot?

Edit: May I ask you to post the contents of your /opt/retrosmc/usr/bin/emulationstation file?
If you updated emulationstation via the retropie-setup script, it might have been overwritten and won’t let you quit es properly. I should include a fix for that…

Hi,
I am not sure if ntfs formatted harddisks will work as the linux permission management might not work.
I stated this in the first post. Linux symlinking might just not work and retropie makes use of that. Also the system will need to read the permissions of files in the chroot to function properly.

To install it onto the sdcard properly, delete the RetroPie folder from your homefolder and run the installation again leaving the standard installationpath in place.

Before you do that, you can also try to delete video.sh from the /home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/ folder.

Edit: You could also format some partition of your hdd to a linux filesystem (e.g. ext4) and use that to install retropie on.
It won’t show up in windows then though.

1 Like

I played around with the CEC settings previously and I recall needing that particular setting active in order for the screensaver functionality to work…however, I will revisit just in case I made a mistake.

Edit: just tried again and any combination of CEC settings that works to put the TV in standby when the screensaver activates is also the same combination that puts the TV in standby when shutting down Kodi and starting up EmulationStation. Again, this is not a total loss, just an inconvenience as I need to power the TV back on after Kodi shuts down.

Sure, here is the content of the emstation file: