[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

Thank you so much!!!:grinning: Now it works!

Can I add this command somehow to an autostart script or something? Because after every reboot I need to type it into putty again. If not so thank you anyway :smile:

You can add it somewhere at the start of /home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/chroot.sh

Hello,I have a question about N64 Emulator. When iĀ“m in a game using mupen64plus / gles2n64 i tap " ESC " and i get out of the emulator. Can someone help me getting the retroarch settings because i dont know how to go there to change the controls and vĆ­deo settings. Sorry my bad English.

I already told you here:

open the /opt/retrosmc/opt/retropie/configs/n64/mupen64plus.cfg file and edit the controls.

mupen64plus (not lr-mupen64plus) doesnā€™t have anything to do with the retroarch controls. it is a separate emulator outside of retroarch. So it will not respond to retroarch control config changes.

If you want to change the button to exit the emulator, youā€™ll have to configure a button or buttoncombination on the joypad for that.
See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WX7RrzUtII&feature=youtu.be

Thanks a lot. I will look in to it.

I think that a good change will be reduce the video (entrance/exit) duration. The ā€œnon-animationā€ duration is too long (~2ā€™5 seconds with the KODI and ES logo, with 1 second transition). I think that 1ā€™5 or 1 seconds will be better (4 or 3 seconds total)

But with this, the scripts works very good. I had the first script (and I continue with it in my installation), but I tested the new in a new OSMC installation and it works good.

The video is a beautiful addon, but as I said, it is too long: 2ā€™5 seconds Kodi + 1 second transition + 2ā€™5 seconds ES + ES real splash screen. 3 Seconds + real spash screen will be better (I know that I can edit the video)

One question: What version installs this script? I see that it downloads a .zip, so I supose that is a provisioned version. Can be updated? (RetroPie is in 3.2.1, or more in git master)

I tested this with different speed sdcards and a pi1 and pi2.
There are a lot of differences in loadingtimes, so I choose the one that works in all circumstances.
If you want to disable the video entirely, just delete the video.sh file in the scripts directory.

Edit: This script installs version 3.0. I have to modify the image before it is usable. I plan to update to the 3.2 image shortly though.

I worked out the solution to my problem. My Xin-Mo dual arcade joystick board was recognized as only one joystick in /dev/input, as js0. I followed the advice found in Home Ā· RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup Wiki Ā· GitHub , so I wrote on the same line the specific data of my device, leaving a white space the following: usbhid.quirks=0x16c0:0x05e1:0x040

After rebooting the pi, in /dev/input i found it was finally recognized as two independent joysticks, js0 and js1. No need to patch the kernel or doing complicated stuff :smile:

Hello, this summer to spend many days to launch, OSMC and retrosmc and even I was tester of the first version, I took several months without play, I buy one joystick bluetooth but not worked for me, so I ask you please me say me If any of you bluetooth joystick has some running (Iā€™m interested in leaving a single stick bluetooth keyboard and joystick)
If you have the link to Ebay or Aliexpress where ye purchased would you do me a favor
Thank you

Soā€¦ a few times I encountered a slight problem: since Kodi is still running on the background while Emulationstation is running, sometimes my keyboard would start controlling Kodi instead of ES (while nothing appeared to happen on ES, I could hear sfx from Kodiā€™s menu). So, I added ā€œsudo service mediacenter stopā€ before ES loads, and ā€œsudo service mediacenter startā€ after ES exits. Is this a bad idea? Iā€™ve had no negative side effects so far, but I just wanted to make sure that Iā€™m not doing anything potentially harmful.

Although it should not be necessary to have extra lines to stop and restart kodi, it shouldnā€™t hurt.
Normally the scripts should do that for you already.
In what file and where did you add those and did it really fix the issues?

Maybe itā€™s a fluke, iā€™ve used Retrosmc dozens of times, and said bug only happened twice (both times it happened when I ran the Launcher almost immediately after booting up Kodi. The keyboard started working on ES, but it went into ā€œKodi modeā€ soon after (when an addon made an ā€œupdateā€ noise, it was probably the Pulsar service booting up).

EDIT: I thought it had solved the problemā€¦ until it happened again just now.

I added it in chroot.sh. Specifically, I added the ā€œstopā€ line just before the ES line, and the ā€œstartā€ one just after the ES line.

I think you will have to wait a bit until kodi is fully started, as the stopscript will not interrupt the startupscript.
So your fix will likely not help.
Just give kodi time to start up.

I shall weep for the wasted seconds of potential gamingā€¦ but youā€™re right, everything usually runs like a charm if I let everything load in peace. Thanks for the tip! :smile:

Thanks for writing this guide, it is really useful and just what I was looking for.
I am having a problem though, when I try to download the script I get this:
GnuTLS: A TLS fatal alert has been received. GnuTLS: received alert [0]: Close notify

Hey mcobit and jboy, you guys are gods !!!
You made my Pi2 just rocks ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The best and most beautiful Media Center (OSMC, latest kodi release), combined to Retropie, using FC30 8bitdo Bluetooth controllerā€¦ amaaazing :scream:
I was loosing hope about making this nice gamepad working, been trying for 2 days until i found this loonnnnng post, you made my day. Now i just need to config the pad for each emulator, but i made a few tests and itā€™s perfect !! THANKS AGAIN for this great piece of work. I think iā€™ll make a post and video for french people in the next few days.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad I could help.

The problem with the sdl2 binaries on OSMC for rpi2 was that Raspbian Jessie has tslib, which Debian Jessie doesnā€™t - the binaries were built on Raspbian Jessie, and tslib support got compiled in. I have disabled that now, and have built new packages, so the binaries now work fine on both Raspbian and Debian.

2 Likes

This sounds like excellent news!

Iā€™ll try to test out on a clean build soon. Then maybe we can have a full, non-chroot install of RetroPie on OSMC. That would be awesome!

I seem to be having issue getting my NTFS USB HDD recognized within the ES/RetroPie side of things. It works wonderfully within OSMC. So what Iā€™m wondering is how can I get this done? When ever I SSH into the machine it SSHā€™s into the OSMC side of things so it easily sees my USB HDD, however if I go into the File Browser within ES it does not. It seems to see /opt/retrosmc/* as root instead of the actual root of the device. I tried installing NTFS-3g within File Browser which it comes up as saying it can install, but for what ever reason I cannot give it a Y to start it. Just ends up telling me press any button to continue in which it goes back into File Browser.

Any insight would be great! As I would love to use /media/usb/ for my roms, where ES is actually trying to look at /opt/retrosmc/media/usb/ where there is nothing.