[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

I have successfully installed OpenTyrian from experimental packages and get it perfectly running when called /home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/retropie.sh via ssh, but it fails at getting video modes in RetroPie’s runcommand.sh when ES is started via Launcher Addon. I’ve created reports at RetroPie and retrosmc trackers with more details and much of the debugging work already done.

Thanks for the report.
I never looked into how the addon executes the script and if it honors the bash environment as I am not the author of it.

I will have a look into it though. Probably saving current env vars and exporting them before launch might help.

I guess that kodi does not care about the user environment as it is started as a service and because of that doesn’t run scripts with the correct environment.

Edit: Also switching user with su might help in the line executing the scripts.

I had this and the A2dp working flawless with a ps3 remote hooked to the usb without installing the drivers, but OSMC started hanging and the Bluetooth stopped working when i tried to pair the remote via retropie-setup even after performing a vanilla retrosmc install on one of my backed up image.

hi,
i have problem with the screen size in emulationstation.
The screen it’a little bit too large then my tv.
How i can modify the screen size ?
thank you.
René

You have to set your TV to 1:1 or just scan so it eliminates overscan.

All other solutions would not really help. As you would need to adjust manually in Kodi, too.

To adjust overscan globally, you can do so in the /boot/config.txt.

Please google the exanct lines.

As said. This is not the right solution! If possible adjust your TV!

1 Like

I saw on youtube that in EmulationStation there is music when you scroll through the menus. More specifically theme songs of popular games as you browse through each system. I don’t seem to have that option in Retrosmc… does anyone know how to do it? Thanks!!

ES doesn’t support this itself, but you could try something like this:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128176&p=857346

Edit: was it retropie you saw that running on?
Do you have a link?

There seems to be a fork that adds background music playback for each system.

Here is the fork:
You are on your own with compiling and replacing the retropie one with it though:

Hi there,

I tried to run you script and now after reboot kodi is not running anymore.
seems like the service mediacenter is crashing every times.

What can I do? what log can I check?

thanks a lot

It’s very unlikely that the (new) script from @mcobit would have impacted the operation of Kodi. Provide the URL that grab-logs -A provide.

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn’t expecting problem also :slightly_smiling:

here is the log http://paste.osmc.io/ixepixazan

thanks

Hi ,

sorry for the trouble I found in the forum after many more research that this line could resolve the problem

sudo apt-get purge qt5-default libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-dev libegl1-mesa-drivers
and then
sudo apt-get autoremove

Now Kodi is back to work correctly.

many thanks for the support and sorry for all the trouble.

I’ll now test more RetroPie and see if now I have sound on the emulators.

thanks again

Many thanks for the feedback just wondering if any of that package was installed by @mcobit script or you installed something on parallel that have pulled that packages in.

I installed using mcobit latest script last week or so, I don’t have those packages installed atleast.

Did you do install any experimental packages or did you install some other apps before?

Yeah I have played a little bit with some other apps and some other try which could have lead to made me install this kind of package even if I don’t remeber having installed them.

Really sorry for all the trouble , I think the problem was not created by your script but by myself.

Don’t worry. I like problems that resolve themselves :wink:

Yeah I also like that, by the way the update fix the fact that I have no sound so all seems to work very nice now!

thanks a lot for the very good work!!!

Hi @mcobit

What will be the main differences between your retrosmc and retro player when it comes out?

I’m assuming that cause retro player is built into kodi that you won’t need to quit and restart kodi not that that’s much of an issue.

On the other hand retro player prob won’t have all the bells and whistles that your retrosmc has from using retropie especially great layout of emulstation.

Also will it be possible to have both retrosmc and retro player installed on same rpi2?

Thanks again

You summed it up pretty much.
I think that reteoplayer will only work with retroarch emulators. Retropie does a lot more integration of emulators that are platformspecific.

If you only want to play up to psx emulation both should be ok with a slightly better integration of retroplayer but if you want optimized dreamcast or n64 you might need retropie.

I think both can coexist but you will have to do the work to get them to share rompaths.

One advantage will be that RetroPlayer will work on most platforms like x86 and vero while RetroPie needs a Raspberry.

Hi,

how can i figure out which version of Retrosmc i installed?