[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

i install with osmc user in home directory
can’t root login in osmc

Looks like you did.
Probably used sudo or sudo su before?

Anyway, you need to reinstall as user osmc. Start from a fresh ssh session and follow the instructions.
When that was successful, delete the retropie folder from /root.

hmm okay

i think uses sudo ./install-retrosmc.sh for install.

i will try tomorw without sudo.

Works great now thx

Great :slight_smile:

I followed the instructions but it didn’t worked. I also installed the launcher. What exactly should be added in “programms”?

There should be the retropie logo symbol.
Sorry, but with your description of “does not work” it is hard to know what your problem is.
Is there any errormessage or what step from the first post is failing?

This symbol was missing but it could be my fault because I tried to install retropie without your script. I just resetted osmc and will see if your script is working now :slight_smile:

The only reason I did that script is because it will not work without :wink:

Ok it worked now after a fresh install. I am now at the screen “controller detected”
This is my controller:

I can press what I want the screen remains. Nothing happens.
The second problem is that the screen resolution is wrong now. Even with the osmc screen calibration the picture is too small for my screen it does not fir (it fitted before :wink: )

The logitech rumblepad has known problems. Please read some posts back or search this topic.
For the screen size:
Adjust your tv to “just scan” or “1:1” or whatever your manufacturer calls it.
Calibrating the screen in Kodi will not work for retropie and is not recommended!

If you absolutely have to, you can configure global overscan in /boot/config.txt

Please refer to the raspberry pi documentation.

I cannot do anything about the rumblepad issue as I don’t have one but probably someone else got it working already.

The screen issue could be solved be commenting this out:

overscan_left=24 overscan_right=24 overscan_top=16 overscan_bottom=16

in /boot/config.txt

somehow the option
disable_overscan=1
was ignored

The rumblepad:
couldn’t find any infos about it.
I opened up a new thread.

edit:
just found this
seems to be working… (since one year?)

edit2:
also found this thread here:

Hi all!!
I have installed the 0.007 with no problems (uninstalled 0.006 and installed 0.007).
But I have a problem with EmulationStation: it takes too long to initialize (showing the splash screen) and ages (5min+) to terminate (the process keeps running, as I can see with ps command). Whenever I kill the process, Kodi come back.
All of my roms are in a external USB hard drive and I have created symbolic links for each emulator rom dir in roms dir of retropie. I have 2000+ roms for each snes, nes, mame/fba, megadrive. If I unlink the rom dirs, EmulationStation starts and finish with no issue. Anyone have a lot of roms on a external drive and have no issue?

Edit: I had this problem with version 0.006 too (I thought it was something to do with the chroot), but now is even worse!

Seems like it always creates a new romlist at start. Could be a permission issue.
What format is your hdd and can you access it quickly in kodi?

The hdd is a 1TB, 1 partition NTFS.
In Kodi, there is no problem (I can watch a 1080p movie loaded from hdd without issue).
But… the creation of the romlist would affect the exit from EmulationStation too?
Thank you!

Do symlinks to ntfs volumes work at all?
Can you check if the romfolder is accessible via your symlink?

Yes, it works! I can play the roms after EmulationStation starts (after a couple of minutes to initialize), the roms are loaded reasonable quick. The problem is the start/exit from EmulationStation. Start takes a couple of minutes, exit takes ~5-7 minutes.

Maybe related to this:

Not sure if the fixes are in the retropie builds.

Nothing specific to retrosmc it seems.

Yes, EmulationStation is the culprit! But seems like the issue is not to do with XML file: XML doesn’t improve performance at all.
The development of EmulationStation was halted, so, no solution for the issue other than limiting the roms count! :pensive:

Anyway, thank you for pointing to this thread on EmulationStation project. I had googled before in this subject focusing on EmulationStation, but with no luck.

Thank you!
Sorry for my bad english.

hi, i am hoping to love this setup, but have a fundamental problem. Everything installs fine, i have the program addon,and i can launch retropi just fine. EmulationStation loads up, and tells me I have 1 gamepad detected, press a key to config. However I am unable to get any press to register. I have a logitech wireless rumblepad 2, which i have used previously on SNES emulator backwhen it was still raspbmc. This is the first I have tried with the new OSMC, I have a new rpi 2, and I am at a loss.
oddly it doesnt show my keyboard as a gamepad, i cannot use it at all EXCEPT for hitting f4 to escape
lsusb shows it as loaded
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c219 Logitech, Inc. Cordless RumblePad 2
jstest is odd
shows it in both /dev/input/js0 and /dev/input/js1
^C
osmc@osmc:~$ jstest /dev/input/js1
Driver version is 2.1.0.
Joystick (Logitech Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2) has 6 axes (X, Y, Z, Rz, Hat0X, Hat0Y)
and 12 buttons (BtnX, BtnY, BtnZ, BtnTL, BtnTR, BtnTL2, BtnTR2, BtnSelect, BtnStart, BtnMode, BtnThumbL, BtnThumbR).
Testing … (interrupt to exit)
Axes: 0:-32767 1:-32767 2:-32767 3:-32767 4: 0 5: 0 Buttons: 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off 7:off 8:off 9:off 10:off 11:off ^C
osmc@osmc:~$

osmc@osmc:~$ jstest /dev/input/js0
Driver version is 2.1.0.
Joystick (USB Device USB Device) has 4 axes (X, Y, Throttle, Rudder)
and 29 buttons (Trigger, ThumbBtn, ThumbBtn2, TopBtn, TopBtn2, PinkieBtn, BaseBtn, BaseBtn2, BaseBtn3, BaseBtn4, BaseBtn5, BaseBtn6, BtnDead, BtnA, BtnB, BtnC, BtnX, BtnY, BtnZ, BtnTL, BtnTR, BtnTL2, BtnTR2, BtnSelect, LeftBtn, RightBtn, MiddleBtn, SideBtn, ExtraBtn).
Testing … (interrupt to exit)
Axes: 0: 0 1: 0 2: 0 3: 0 Buttons: 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off 7:off 8:off 9:off 10:off 11:off 12:off 13:off 14:off 1Axes: 0: 0 1: 0 2: 0 3: 0 Buttons: 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off 7:off 8:off 9:off 10:off 11:off 12:off 13:off 14:off 1Axes: 0: 0 1: 0 2: 0 3: 0 Buttons: 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off 7:off 8:off 9:off 10:off 11:off 12:off 13:off 14:off 1Axes: 0: 0 1: 0 2: 0 3: 0 Buttons: 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off 7:off 8:off 9:off 10:off 11:off 12:off 13:off 14:off 1Axes: 0: 0 1: 0 2: 0 3: 0 Button (this goes on and on)
jscal
osmc@osmc:~$ jscal /dev/input/js1
Joystick has 6 axes and 12 buttons.
Correction for axis 0 is broken line, precision is 0.
Coeficients are: 112, 142, 5534751, 5534751
Correction for axis 1 is broken line, precision is 0.
Correction for axis 2 is broken line, precision is 0.
Correction for axis 3 is broken line, precision is 0.
Correction for axis 4 is broken line, precision is 0.
Coeficients are: 0, 0, 536870912, 536870912
Correction for axis 5 is broken line, precision is 0.
Coeficients are: 0, 0, 536870912, 536870912

I have searched, and searched, and have no idea what to do…