[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

I cannot tell you exactly as it depends on the size of the current retropie binaries and packages.
I would guess that you would need to download about 1GB. But don’t take my word for it.

Hi there.

Thanks so much for your work on this, mcobit.

I can’t get my PS3 controllers to pair up to OSMC / Retrosmc.

The two controllers are 100 % original Sony. I managed to get them to control Emulationstation when wired, but as soon as I remove the cable, they just continue to blink for a while and then the lights go out, even if I press the PS button. It can’t establish the bluetooth connection, it seems.

What I first did was to install the “ps3 controller” driver from within the RetroPie setup. Couldn’t connect. Then I followed Theetjuh’s old guide from last year. Still nothing.

I am using the onboard RPi3 bluetooth, but I also tried with a dongle. I of course have already turned on the bluetooth within the OSMC settings, and it discovers devices around it.

It’s so frustrating that this is the only thing that keeps me from playing :slight_smile:

Can you help? Thanks in advance!

As I said numerous times: I don’t have these controllers so I cannot test it.
Sorry.

Hello,
I tried the installation on my OSMC system.
The install is complete but I have not the second menu for chose “Binary-based installation (recommended)” and when I try to launch Retropi, it doesn’t work : the KODI OSMC reboot.
Someone have the same issue ?
Regards

RetroPie changed its setup script.
“Quick install” is the correct option now.

Need to change the first post if I get some time.

1 Like

Try to update again OSMC.

1 Like

Apologies, mcobit. I wasn’t aware, and this very long thread is a bit difficult to navigate.

To anyone else: have you managed to get the PS3 controllers stably working (using RetroPie 4.0)?

I now managed to get them to connect, via the Retropie configuration, but I can’t configure the buttons. They simply don’t react to any presses, and if I try to test them with jstest (they do show up as js0 and js1), no buttons have any effect. If I then reboot the rPi, they loose the connection, and I again have to pair them all over if I want to connect.

Very frustrating…

Firstly, a thousand thanks for all your efforts, been using this script to make many people very happy over the last year or so.

I am setting up a new Pi for a friend and am guessing it’s been a while since I used the script as it is a lot different from what I remember. I tried my best to read this thread and didn’t see this current issue I’m having posted here, if it’s been covered, I apologize.

So everything worked great, did quick install and added the Launch script. But me being me, decided to install all the optional emulators. That seemed to go well, so rebooted and now screen just Hangs on OSMC logo. I see no errors anywhere, I am able to Alt-f2 to get CLI and I can go back into running the setup script. Tried un-installing but as expected didn’t fix it. I have tried from scratch three times all with same results.
Of course my fix is to not install the optional emulators, but thought I’d mention. I have not yet tried to install individual emulators from the list. I mean I don’t even know if I need any of them, but you dangle the carrot…

Cheers!

I never installed all the experimental packages.
They are what they are. Experimental means they might be incompletw or can break stuff.

If you want to prevent others from experiencing the same problem as you, it would be good to know exactly wich package causes the system to hang.

As you are able to login via ssh, are there any logs that can help identify the problem?

Does starting kodi from the shell work?
sudo systemctl restart mediacenter

Edit: If I had to guess, I’d say that some experimental stuff installs x11 and mesa OGL libraries. This would cause your system not to function.
Better stay away from those for now.

If you installed kodi from retropie setup, I think you have messed up the system pretty good.

Very stupid question… i have a working setup installation of OSMC on my Pi2 working good for months and months.
I have read the first page for simply installation… but i have some question:
At today the procedure continue to work ? On first menu… what’s the exact step to step procedure for obtain the most famous emulator work (like gameboy…nes… snes or various sega console for example) ?

In the retropie-setup you choose quick install.

I will never guarantee that this will always work :wink:

Hi

Anyone getting their xbox 360 wireless controllers working on latest retropie and osmc update?

Keep getting following error. I have blacklisted xpad and tried the --detach-kernel-driver option which gives a different error of LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND.

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo xboxdrv
xboxdrv 0.8.5 - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/
Copyright © 2008-2011 Ingo Ruhnke grumbel@gmx.de
Licensed under GNU GPL version 3 or later http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.

Controller: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Vendor/Product: 045e:0291
USB Path: 001:004
Wireless Port: 0
Controller Type: Xbox360 (wireless)

– [ ERROR ] ------------------------------------------------------
Error couldn’t claim the USB interface: LIBUSB_ERROR_BUSY
Try to run ‘rmmod xpad’ and then xboxdrv again or start xboxdrv with the option --detach-kernel-driver.

Thanks for any info

@mcobit it seems the latest retropie installion is a 4.0 beta version if i recall. Shouldn’t the installion be a stable version.

for not compromise (eventually) my actually osmc installation i have choose to a buy a secondary sd… i hope i pick a correct sd working on my pi2 :slight_smile:
After that i setup a totally newest installation of osmc and i try to install retroosmc… if i can’t i can try to use Retropie and i can maintain my actually oscm :slight_smile:

I thinks i come back to this thread in next days… thanks in advance…

Hi @mcobit

Is there way to set alsa for default on retrosmc?

I have pulseaudio installed to use the ad2p streaming function and pulseaudio makes the games sound stutter and lag. Removing pulseaudio and games run fine. Seems pulseaudio is default when both alsa and pulseaudio installed.

Thanks

Hi all,

I too am also having problems using my PS3 controllers with RetrOSMC.I started athread regarding the subject which you can see here:

I was then pointed over to this thread.

The basic jist is that I can easily pair my controllers and my bluetooth keyboard simultaneously but when emaulation station starts it see’s the controller and states ‘1 game pad detected’ but I cannot map the controls as it doesn’t seem to respond to any button pushes.

I have done a jstest and it see’s all the controllers buttons,axis etc but does not show any new input when I push the buttons etc

Any ideas?

I’m about to give up on this whole PS3 controller over bluetooth-thingy. I have no idea why, but I have somehow found a problem I can’t find anywhere else.

My problem is simply that I can’t seem to detect my PS3 controllers. It’s a “fake” brand (Big ben), but I think that shouldn’t result in my problem.
I have the newest update of OSMC on a PI3 with a bluetooth dongle (atm). I’ve tried the internal one aswell, but that seems to be really futile. And to be thorough; the system finds my dongle, and I can’t detect other bluetooth devices with it (but not connect by a reason that I’ve for the moment assumed to be cause by the A2DP-problem, despite the fact that it should only affect the internal adapter…).
I think I’ve found something closely related to the cause, but I have no idea how or why. I’ve resorted to sixad since neither My OSMCs bluetooth-manager or the one in retropie (both the settingsmenu and the setup-script) seem to detect the controller. I can pair the controller by USB with sixpair, but when I try to run “sixad --start” (or stop) it returns two errors:

chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/sbin/bluetoothd’: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/sixad: line 79: /etc/init.d/bluetooth: No such file or directory

Does anyone here have any idea for me how to continue to find the culprit in all of this? I would be truly grateful for any help!

I can refer you to this thread…which solved the problem for a lot of people:

From what your saying,it looks to me like your Sixad is missing various dependencies.You should look into Luetzals guide in this thread.

Any update on this? I get the same error, did not find any solution :frowning:

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 and installed Retrosmc last night. I believe I followed everything to the letter and it all seemed to work well during the install process.

I used Putty to get it installed along w/ the RetroPie Launcher. I used Filezilla to get the BIOS & ROM files where they needed to be.

But when I run the launcher in OSMC, Kodi looks like it’s about to change over and load RetroPie…the text of the screen goes away…but then I get a black screen and OSMC restarts. The whole process being about 20 seconds. I never see anything regarding Retropie being displayed.

I have the latest OSMC updates as well.

This is what I wound up having to do to fix my PS3 controller on my RPI3. Found it here Bluetooth not working after update - need info [obsolete] - Raspberry Pi Forums

Hit this problem when updating a headless image based off Jessie Lite on a Pi3.

What worked for me to resolve it, was installing raspberrypi-sys-mods as indicated in earlier post (thanks):

systemctl status hciuart.service
Shows failed. Also if you reboot, you see a hciuart error message during the boot-up messages.

To fix this:

sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-sys-mods
When prompted to overwrite the config, type Y

sudo apt-get install --reinstall pi-bluetooth
Still shows an error, let’s reboot to pick up the new UART config

sudo shutdown -r now
Note that we no longer get an hciuart error message during boot

Once rebooted, do:

systemctl status hciuart.service
Now shows Bluetooth loaded and active (running)