[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

@mcobit - I’ve been reading up on Docker on raspberry pi recently. Are you familiar with Docker? If so, would this be a good way to do a Retropie install on OSMC?

If you are willing to create and maintain a container for it, go ahead.
I am not as stuff changes pretty quickly.

hey @nvdias tried this and got “Unable to retrieve local bd_addr from hcitool dev.
Please enable Bluetooth or specify an address manually.”
This was from retropie screen.

Not sure exactly what happened to mine and Im sure I had both shanwan ps3 controllers working after doing the Luetzel tutorial [HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

For people having problems with launching or installing additional packages, please update the scripts via the retrosmc-install.sh script.

Also be sure NOT to install all additional packages as that will include kodi and is not safe on osmc.
We are working on a solution.

If Bluetooth is off in osmc menu, after a reboot sixad does automatically turns it on but this is not reflected in osmc menus.
Either approach works. Probably is better (coherent) to have Bluetooth on in menus.

Good point. No way I can maintain given my level of knowledge of Docker as of now. I was just throwing that out as an idea if it would make things easier for RetrOSMC but it sounds like the opposite.

My osmc just restarting every time I trying to start the retrosmc via the programs menu. I’ve tried to see the logs but cannot found anithing in them …/tmp/kodi.log and kodi.old.log.

Do you know what could be the problem? Currently I’m trying to reinstall it and see if anything change or not.

Just reinstalled and it now seems to be working.

Good. No clue. Probably it did not download one of the scripts correctly.

I think i managed to break my retrosmc, when i now start emulationstation shows with roms in folder but when i click to start on the screen goes “blank/very dimmed” i can still see the rom-list in the black background and the emulator never starts.

Tried everything but uninstall since it says it will remove all roms. Will unlink the roms folder from my external drive and try to uninstall then reinstall. I’m half sure it’s something that got borked when installing qt5-qmake, made a sadface loop in kodi and probably changed some library that emulationstation/emulators need.

Edit:
After uninstall and clean install i still have troubles with snes, nes, gameboy, playstation and mame. Atari2600 works. Seems like all libretro emulators are borked. That’s what i get for playing around with my live system, should have gotten a new card to play around with

Having some trouble with a fresh install of the latest retropie script with OSMC 2016.6.2:
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Installing dependencies for ‘splashscreen’ : Configure Splashscreen
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Did not find needed package(s): fbi omxplayer. I am trying to install them now.
Reading package lists…
Building dependency tree…
Reading state information…
E: Unable to locate package omxplayer
Could not install package(s): fbi omxplayer.

Log ended at: Tue Aug 2 19:43:30 CEST 2016
Total running time: 0 hours, 12 mins, 16 secs

Tried getting package fbi manually but then the same crash happened with just “omxplayer”.
Never had this problem before. Any ideas?

You don’t need the splashscreen module, so you can ignore it.

Hi guys,

Fisrt, great that you all work so inensiv on all this different problems and give more support than all big tech companies together.

So I have a “major” problem:
I have a RPi2 that works with OSMC, I tried to get RetrOSMC to run, installation works, it looks different from the tutorial above (no Binary installation Option, after klicking install it goes straight to the process, but after that all looks good, RetroPie is in the Programm Folder… but if I hit start > 5sec of waiting > display turns black and after 5 more seconds im back at my OSMC menu.

So to figure out whats wrong I read 30% of the comments on this site, I totaly clean my SD an start from the beginning with a OSMC without addons, but same result.
Maybe in 1 of the 972 replys is the solution for my problem, but I dont find one.
And I dont want to Google for a solution while I thought that here is the right harbour and I dont want to mix different solutions…
So if u have an idea for me, that would be great.

THX from DE

PS Sorry for the not so perfect english but i think we understand each other

You have to choose quick install now instead of binary installation.
This should be altered in the tutorial by now.

Are there any errors when launching emulationstation from commandline?

I had read about the quick install some Replys ago, but in my Installation is no Option about quick install. I have the Main Screen with Install RetroPie, Install launcher etc.
If i hit Install it Starts over into Installation without any options, tonight i make some screenshots from the ssh Screen to Show my way.

I think i make all like its writen in the tut.

Later i try to Launch from Comandline

If you select the install retrosmc option, there should be the retropie-setup menu after some commandline stuff.

There you have to choose quick install.
If that doesn’t come up, something went wrong with downloading the retropie-setup script from github.

Wheat is the output of emulationstation on ssh?

So, After houers of trying I get it.
I was a fool, i started the installation from the main menu, this needs 2 minutes, I thought that this is the installation process. After some tries without success I klick the package manager entry and there it was, the quick install entry, after kicking this, all worked.
With PS3 Controller!

Great work, big thanks to all involved!!!

Just updated the core-scripts using ~/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh and used Quick-Setup to install any missing packages.

But for some ~/RetroPie/scripts/ is showing as 0 bytes and has no contents in it. So I can’t get RetroPie to start.

Please use the “Update scripts” functionality of the install-retrosmc.sh script to get back the missing startscripts.

1 Like

Hi,
I am new to both OSMC and retropie (but not the RP or Linux…), and just installed OSMC and Retromsc. A few things came up, maybe these were answered somewhere above, sorry if I missed these in this long thread:

1. During quick install I get an error message about the packages fbi and omxplayer. Seems to start though, so I guess these are not necessary? If they are, how would I fix this?

2. Tried to use you custom logo (which looks great in OSMC!), but I don’t get the menu item to work. I created a new menu point “Retropie” with the logo, and entered as action the command you wrote. I tried both “System.Exec(/home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/retropie.sh)” and “System.Exec (/home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/retropie.sh)” (with space in between), but none of these work, the menu item does not react when clicked. How can I fix this, did I entered it at the wrong place, or should it be different?

3. Tried to enable to run ROMs from a USB drive as described here: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Running-ROMs-from-a-USB-drive, and since the menu structure seemed a bit different, I used instead of “/home/pi/RetroPie” just “/home/osmc/RetroPie”, which should be correct (?). But after this, RetroPie is not starting anymore from OSMC. Any idea here, or is this part not working and I should forget about it?

Thanks!