[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

Runing Roms from usb will not work in osmc as the usb automounter works differently from the retropie image.

Not sure why the menu item doesn’t work for you… It does for me :frowning:
Did you write it with the quotationmarks? If so try without.

Fbi and omxplayer are not needed as they only show the startup image and animation of the retropie image.

Thanks! Then I will have to live without the USB Roms, I thought it might be a good idea (card corruption, and enough storage for both systems, but I guess my 8 GB card should be good for a while as long as I keep films elsewhere).

No, didn’t use any quotation marks. Strange. The menu entry shows correctly up, but does not do anything. Should it be with or without the space before the (…)? Is it somehow possible to do in the future this already with the installation script, maybe as an option? Will try it tomorrow again.

I’ve installed RetrOSMC on my RPi2 and most things work just fine. I have some issues with my Xbox360 USB controller though, so I opted to install the patched xpad driver from the retropie_setup.sh script. After a few tries, I have managed to get all dependencies fulfilled but one, raspberrypi-kernel-headers. I have installed the kernel headers for my kernel (rbp2-headers-4.4.16-1-osmc) but that does not help. The installer looks for the package raspberrypi-kernel-headers and there is no such package in the repos.

I also tried to install the driver using the instructions from GitHub - paroj/xpad: Linux Kernel Driver for the Xbox/ Xbox 360/ Xbox One Controllers. It also complains about headers not being in the right place but I managed to move the files and get it to start compiling. It halts with an error about missing configs though, and that’s where I gave up.

Please help me get this issue sorted.

Got the menu entry running, with a complete clean install. Not sure if my attempt to load roms from USB broke something or if it was just a typo… thanks!

new to this, so my question is: would these controllers work?

Yes. They are generic usb pads and work fine.

1 Like

great, i’ll order a pair of those and hope to have some Mortal Kombat 3 on my RPi2))

Another question, not sure if it’s related to Retrosmc or a general Retropie issue: I don’t have a scummvm folder in roms as described here: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/ScummVM. I created it by myself and tried to add some roms, but the ScummVM menu entry is not showing up in Retropie, so I can’t import the games as described.
Is this related to Retrosmc? Otherwise I’ll check elsewhere how to solve this…

Hmmm… I have scummvm games installed and working.
But my Installation is a lot older but updated.

The scummvm menuentry should always be there if it is installed.
Try to run the installscript again and install scummvm manually.
Look for any errors.

That was it, thanks! Was not installed through the quick installer, for whatever reason. I had to install it from the optional packages, now it works.

Great!

@exobuzz
I this expected behaviour?

Yes.

Is safe do a “update” from retropie 3.6 to 4.0? Or better i do a fresh install?
I’m thinking to do a fresh OSMC install in next version with Kodi 17 (and then install retroosmc with RetroPie 4)

I updated version by version but I think it could work.

Hello, I tried to ask about this problem about a month ago, but then I got busy and didn’t try again. I have just tried again.

Following the instructions to install retrosmc on my RPi3 breaks down when trying to run the script, because I get this error:
./install-retrosmc.sh: line 19: /home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/retrosmc-config.cfg: No such file or directory

logs:
http://paste.osmc.io/ewetobuved

I have tried deleting the installer and re-downloading it multiple times. I am ssh’d into my machine from a macbook pro, if that matters. I am intrigued that my problem seems unique, but I don’t know enough about scripts to try editing it.

Edit: I wasn’t in debug mode, so I turned it on, retried the process, and included the log link

Do you log in as root?
Is that file actually at this position?
Did you run the installer as root (not possible anymore with newest version)?

I logged in as osmc.
the directory /home/osmc/RetroPie/ does not seem to exist. I assume the installer was supposed to create it.
I had not tried to run the installer with sudo, but upon doing so it gave me the following, as expected:
This script should not be run as root. Please run as user osmc!

I updated with no problems to retropie 4.0 (at least with my current installations and roms), but I think that i will do a fresh OSMC install in next version with Kodi 17 and do a new install os RetroPie. I have lots of “optional” packages installed, and I don’t use any of these (like quake 3, for example, o lots of emulators).

I will do a new custom install, only with emulators that I use / that I want, so installation will be smaller.

This can’t be the problem (I think). As you say, it will be created in first installation.

This line is:
source PATH

that fails, but program need to continue.

If you write “dialog” you have something (something = the command exists)? If not, do “apt-get install dialog” and try again.

I just figured out the problem. On my mac I was using an unusual mode for the terminal, which works well with the game Nethack. Upon switching to a more default terminal, the installer looked like it worked as expected.

However, I seem to have lost the program Add-On Installer, and the program for the launcher, which I selected the option to install, did not show up in the programs menu.