[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

Uninstalling is not easy and not advised. Did you activate the launcher addon in the kodi settings? Kodi disables Addons by default after installation.

Also why would you not be able to get to the commandprompt anymore? More details please.

I did see the post a few posts above, but the add-on doesnā€™t feature anywhere in settings, thereā€™s nothing there to be enabled.

Pre the install of retrosmc when I chose exit from power in the main menu I used to get the blue splash screen, pressing ESC would drop me onto a framebuffer with a login prompt.

Now, instead of login: it says unknown twice, then starts up the Emulation Console which prompts me to push a button on my gamepad (I donā€™t have one) or F4.

Pushing F4 takes me to a black screen from which nothing else happens till I pull the power.

I guess Iā€™ll just reinstall OSMC onto the SD Card =}

That is not expected behaviour.
Did you install retropie and the addon via my script?

Edit: If you donā€™t have a gamepad, how did you plan to use retropie? You can also hold a button on your keyboard instead of gamepad.

Hello. How I can add this? Take and Scrape Your Own Screenshots: Method 1.

Hello,
First of all thank you for all the fantastic work it was put in this project.
I have just installed the latest OSMI in my PI3 and now I am trying to install retrosmc on it

However I have a little problem with the compilation maybe you can help me.
When I start the script ./install-retroosmc.sh and select install basic package it starts preparing everything and after a while it gives me some compilation errors (see below) and in the end just ends and tells me that emulstation was not able to compile

This is the memory I had before starting:
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 747 290 456 5 17 127
-/+ buffers/cache: 146 601
Swap: 127 0 127

And this is the memory I had after
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 747 662 85 5 21 488
-/+ buffers/cache: 151 596
Swap: 127 0 127

[ 2%] [ 3%] Building CXX object es-core/CMakeFiles/es-core.dir/src/AudioManager.cpp.o
Building CXX object es-core/CMakeFiles/es-core.dir/src/CECInput.cpp.o
In file included from /home/osmc/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/es-core/src/CECInput.cpp:7:0:
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h: In function ā€˜CEC::ICECAdapter* LibCecInitialise(CEC::libcec_configuration*, const char*)ā€™:
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:139:7: error: ā€˜coutā€™ was not declared in this scope
cout << dlerror() << endl;
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:139:7: note: suggested alternative:
In file included from /home/osmc/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/es-core/src/CECInput.cpp:6:0:
/usr/include/c++/4.9/iostream:61:18: note: ā€˜std::coutā€™
extern ostream cout; /// Linked to standard output
^
In file included from /home/osmc/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/es-core/src/CECInput.cpp:7:0:
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:139:28: error: ā€˜endlā€™ was not declared in this scope
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:139:28: note: suggested alternative:
In file included from /usr/include/c++/4.9/istream:39:0,
from /usr/include/c++/4.9/sstream:38,
from /home/osmc/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/es-core/src/Log.h:5,
from /home/osmc/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/es-core/src/CECInput.cpp:4:
/usr/include/c++/4.9/ostream:564:5: note: ā€˜std::endlā€™
endl(basic_ostream<_CharT, _Traits>& __os)
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:148:5: error: ā€˜coutā€™ was not declared in this scope
cout << ā€œcannot find CECInitialiseā€ << endl;
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:148:5: note: suggested alternative:
In file included from /home/osmc/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/es-core/src/CECInput.cpp:6:0:
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:148:44: error: ā€˜endlā€™ was not declared in this scope
cout << ā€œcannot find CECInitialiseā€ << endl;
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:148:44: note: suggested alternative:
from /home/osmc/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/es-core/src/CECInput.cpp:4:
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h: In function ā€˜bool LibCecBootloader(const char*)ā€™:
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:185:7: error: ā€˜coutā€™ was not declared in this scope
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:185:7: note: suggested alternative:
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:185:28: error: ā€˜endlā€™ was not declared in this scope
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:185:28: note: suggested alternative:
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:194:5: error: ā€˜coutā€™ was not declared in this scope
cout << ā€œcannot find CECStartBootloaderā€ << endl;
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:194:5: note: suggested alternative:
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:194:49: error: ā€˜endlā€™ was not declared in this scope
cout << ā€œcannot find CECStartBootloaderā€ << endl;
^
/usr/include/libcec/cecloader.h:194:49: note: suggested alternative:
^
es-core/CMakeFiles/es-core.dir/build.make:77: recipe for target ā€˜es-core/CMakeFiles/es-core.dir/src/CECInput.cpp.oā€™ failed
make[2]: *** [es-core/CMakeFiles/es-core.dir/src/CECInput.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobsā€¦
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:194: recipe for target ā€˜es-core/CMakeFiles/es-core.dir/allā€™ failed
make[1]: *** [es-core/CMakeFiles/es-core.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:137: recipe for target ā€˜allā€™ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
Removing additional swap
/home/osmc/RetroPie-Setup
Could not successfully build emulationstation - EmulationStation - Frontend used by RetroPie for launching emulators (/home/osmc/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/emulationstation not found).

Just reinstalled three days ago, also had problems with emulationstation compile, but my problem was that one .deb package farked up installation of needed packages for emulationstation to compile.After i fixed it via removing the list-file for the package and uninstalling it, then manually install the package which was listed at the end of installation.

So after 3-4 times running it i got it to install, so check if there is a package problem?

Thanks for your input,
I have tried apt-get update and get no error
I have tried apt-get install -f and get no error
Is there anything else that I need to do, or I can do?

Cheers,

Just to inform I solved my problem.

I think that was one of the packages that I already had installed that was not letting me install it properly.
I uninstalled all packages that were related with retrosmc and redid the installation. that solved the problem for me.

Thanks and keep up the good work

Hello Guys,

i followed the instructions from this How to and always get the
Error : openvt: exec: no such file or directory

I tried everything, Install with or without addon, over ssh or local and i really dont know what to do anymore.

Running on rpi3

I hope you can give me advice

Emulationstatiom did not get installed correctly. Try with swap.

I already did that too

So i managed to install it now on OMSC release 20170210 did nothing other than the times it failed.
I really dont know why it does work nowā€¦ but good work on this btw

Kepp it up

This is my first post here and I want to say thank you for this wonderful project. I had so much fun to get RetroPie running over the last weekend with installing RetroPie from scratch, compiling emulators, modding themes to my personal needs adding content and of course playing all those retro games. All is running perfect now - except the CEC stuff. Here I need some help.

I can control Kodi with my TV remote control via CEC, but I canā€™t get it to work in emulationstation. If I start ES manually in a SSH session, it displays the following

using HDMI port '1'
No device type given. Using 'recording device'
CEC Parser created - libCEC version 4.0.2
no serial port given. trying autodetect:
 path:     Raspberry Pi
 com port: RPI

opening a connection to the CEC adapter...

But my Pi is connected to HDMI port 2. So, first question, where can I change that to use HDMI port 2? My TV doesnā€™t support CEC in HDMI port 1.
Next question, what must be done in emulationstation to use the remote control as another input device? Currently I use a keyboard and a xbox controller, which both works perfectly. Do I have to define the remote TV keys (up, down, left, right, ok and exit) like I did with the keyboard? Will a remote control identified as a further controller or does it work out of the box if a CEC connection is made?

Iā€™m using the latest OSMC release, RetroPie 4.3, emulationstation 2.7.1RP and a Pi2 model B. I tried the CECFIX=1 stuff and changed in Kodi my CEC adapter settings to not turn off TV or things like that.

Thanks for any help in advance.

EDIT: First question is solved. The CEC log is to be read from the Pi side and the Pi has got only 1 HDMI port, so no need to change that to HDMI-2. 2nd question still open, how to configure/use the remote control in ES.

ES is not supposed to be operated via cec.
Kodi has its own cec client that is killed qhen it shuts down. You would have to manually configure cec client to start when jodi shuts down and emulate keyboard buttons. Also you have to kill it again when switching back to kodi, as the internal client will not work if another instance is loaded.

The best way to use ES is with a keyboard or attached wiered usb joypad.

Sorry, but I cannot help you with the cec stuff.

Thanks for your reply. Thatā€™s absolutly ok. I saw a latest commit in the RetroPie GitHub regarding CEC. Donā€™t know if that is an early stage for a future CEC integraton or if it is already working in the master branch. That was the reason why I was asking here. In the meantime I found out, that my TV is recognising the switch from Kodi to ES as a new device called ā€˜Recorderā€™, which is like a default CEC device, but my TV canā€™t establish a connection to it.

Hi,
if you try to install under Debian Stretch, the install script will fail as it checks that the OS is not newer than Debian 8.
To fix it, run the install, then edit the file
RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/system.sh

and comment out all the following

if compareVersions ā€œ$__os_releaseā€ ge 9 && isPlatform ā€œrpiā€; then
error=ā€œSorry - Raspbian/Debian Stretch (and newer) is not yet supported on the RPIā€
fi

if compareVersions ā€œ$__os_releaseā€ lt 8; then
error=ā€œYou need Raspbian/Debian Jessie or newerā€
fi

Then run the install script again.

(source RetroPie on Raspbian not working - Raspberry Pi Forums)

1 Like

But also remember to do that on every update until RetroPie supports stretch officially.

Hi everyone,

someone of you knows if we could install hyperpie instead retropie ?

thank you :wink:

No!

Edit: or you would have to make all modifications yourself without my support.
This is an 50 GB image. Not a retropie installation.

ok thank your mcobit, otherwise do you think we just can add the attract mode ?