Information about your OSMC account

If you’re reading this, then you likely have an OSMC forum account. Next month, we’ll be making some changes to how this works and we wanted to give you a heads up.

Shortly, you’ll only need one set of login details to access any OSMC service. We’re also doing this so that:

• You’ll have more fine grained control over your data in the future
  • You’ll be able to move throughout the OSMC website and OSMC services without needing to login to each service
  • We will be able to provide stronger security measures, such as Two Factor Authentication in the near future
  • We’ll be able to provide a stable, single sign on service for third party developers that want to integrate with OSMC

This is expected to come in to effect in February 2018. Most users won’t need to take any action apart from creating a new OSMC account when this is deployed. When you create a new account, and verify your email address, it will be automatically linked to your existing forum account, provided you use the same email address for the new account. Please make sure that your forum account email address is still valid and that you can receive emails from it. You can view the current email address tied to your account and update it here.

If you have made a purchase on the OSMC Store in the past, and have an account, you should make sure that the email address provided there matches the email address provided on your forum account to ensure that your account is consolidated correctly.

If you’re currently using Facebook, GitHub, or Twitter to sign in to the forum, you will not be able to continue to do so after these changes. However, you can create a My OSMC account and verify it using the email account associated with these accounts to merge your forum account with your new My OSMC account.

If you have any questions, do let me know and I will be happy to answer them.

Cheers

Sam

4 Likes

Hi Sam,

I don’t understand what I need to do :frowning:
I use the log in via Github but I don’t know what do I need to do.

Hi @antonio8909

Please see the comments in my original post regarding those using social media accounts to log in to the forums.

In short: all you need to do is ensure that you are still able to receive email at the address registered to the social media account (in your case, GitHub).

When the forum moves to using the My OSMC Single Sign On service, you will be able to create a My OSMC account.

If you use the same email address as the one registered to your GitHub profile, then you will be logged straight in to the forums under the same user handle, and your old forum account will be merged with the My OSMC account.

I hope this makes things clearer.

Sam

So if my email match with Github and My OSMC I don’t need to do anything? Just create a new account when the forum moves to My OSMC Single Sign On service and it’ll be merged, right?

That’s correct, yes.

Sam

Ok. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

are we required to have the same email for both? Emails for both services are different for my accounts

Hi Sam and your awesome team members!!
Thought it was time for Gil to reach out to OSMC. I’m a 59 year old electrician,been troubleshooting PLC,s, VFD,s, RTD,s at terminal in Chicago. 3 daughters, 5 grand kids, single dad loves his Dewars, bass fishing, tinkering in man cave, You freaking guys just blow me away!!! The knowledge, how you guys monitor everything😆, I love it!! I just got into these streaming boxes a year ago, I’m freakin married to this new hobby. Won’t bore you guys anymore, the ATV 1st gen, was a blast changing over. Will get account going, data upgraded. Enjoy the heck out of following the troubleshooting forums . HAPPY NEW YEAR and my OSMC prosper excel…
LOVE YOU ALL, ol dusty cranky Chicago electrician Gilbert Tiller

2 Likes

There’s no real implications of this at this point, but you’ll be forced to create a new username later and may lose access to existing accounts.

We want to unify services sooner than later.

Sam

I’m also don’t really like to use the same Email address/(user ID for the forum and the shop.
Michael

Hey Sam, good choice, especially since logging into the store was always difficult (I never found a way to reach the profile settings and the my orders page except going to the url directly).

Am I right to assume that you’ll only need to enable the WP Discourse plugin SSO since the website and shop are already on Wordpress and the blog comments (and forum) are on Discord?

I had to sign up on the OSMC store, guess I must have ordered the Vero 4K under a guest account perhaps. How do I link my purchase to my new OSMC store account?

Same to me. I see in the old order mails at least two different mail addresses were used but none of them seem to belong to an account in the OSMC store, payment was by Amazon afaIk.

It won’t be trivial to merge these accounts unfortunately but shouldn’t matter too much

Sam

I tried to create a new account on my.osmc.tv with the same username and email, but now it have also created a new profile on the forum so I now have an old accout named Gitrian and a new account named Gitrian1. Is this right?

You have used two different emails.
@Gitrian1 is GMail based
@Gitrian is .dk based

As mentioned, the email must match for the account to be merged.

Thanks for the clarification.

I tried to change the mail-address in the Gitrian1-account to the dk-based, but it says it is allready used in use, but when I try to reset my password it says the mail-address is invalid.

Also when I try to reset the password by entering Gitrian as username it sendt the mail to the GMail based adress.

You just need to create an account with the DK email address

Thanks - its working now :slight_smile:

Just saw this now.

So I’m currently logged in to discourse.osmc.tv using my “old” account (using it to send this message) and I just created a new account at my.osmc.tv, using the same email address. But when I check the new account’s order history, it’s empty, which makes me think that consolidation didn’t happen.
Does it take a while (hours, overnight, etc) to happen?