Intermittently “no signal” on TV when switching to Vero 4k+ on Kodi v19.1

Please note that I am having the same issue, tested all settings as described on this forum, but nothing works every time after +X hours tv standby, I have to sudo reboot my vero so HDMI signal is picked-up again.

For the first time in around a week I have switched on the TV after powering down as normal and found I have Vero display on HDMI 1.

For the others also experiencing this annoying issue, I have blank other displays disabled, HDP lock disabled, CEC set to defaults except behaviour when TV is turned off is set to stop playback.

Hope this helps if you want to give it a try, no guarantees whatsoever though, I’ll probably be editing this post tomorrow to say it needed a reboot again.

I have this issue since a long time but I got used to it. I have terminal still open on my mac and there I can see I rebooted using ssh on November 5, November 23, November 27 and December 7.
I cannot create logs because by the time the issue occurs the logs are too big to create.

I simply use the command osmc@osmc:~$ reboot
Is that okay or is there a better/other command I can use?

@sam_nazarko Since there are too many of us with the same issue, should it be forwarded for active inspection?

@JonnyG As you can see, @bezulsqy has up-times of 10-15 days. I have about 7 days, while before v19 the issue never occurred.

Also as @bezulsqy mentions, I also wrote in my first posts that I have failed creating a log file probably due to its size.

I had this issue even before v19
Maybe since testing the new kernel but might even been before that. I remember having the issue a couple of times and then it went away for months before it reappeared.
I have de Vero 4K + connected to a Denon receiver and that is connected to a Sony AF9.

I’m not actively looking in to it at this time. Unfortunately there aren’t enough logs / data for me to investigate and I can’t reproduce the problem.

The problem seems to occur on different devices, suggesting a potential Kodi issue rather than an OSMC one.

Issues appeared around this time: [TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K + - #1766 by bezulsqy

december 2020 and probably a month or couple months before I posted this

The thing is – that test thread is for Vero 4K/4K+, but users are also reporting this issue on Raspberry Pi, which suggests to me it’s not related.

In December 2020 however, the testing version of Kodi was based on v18.

If you’re able to SSH in to the device when it happens next, I might have some ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem.

Can confirm I am still able to SSH into Vero once this issue has occurred so any ideas you have are most welcome.

My Vero4k+ has also crashed with “No Signal” on TV

I was uploading files via wifi.
I uploaded 3 files and then in the middle of the third I got “No Signal”
Network connection to Vero 4k+ was lost so I could not SSH into it.
I had to unplug and replug the power.

https://paste.osmc.tv/vafurelonu

second crash
https://paste.osmc.tv/lidanoxanu

If you can’t SSH or ping the device I think it completely crashed and isn’t related to the No Signal issue

Sam

Or … ha ha ha … I got the “No Signal” because it crashed.
Why would it crash like that while transferring files?

Power issues? Are the drives powered by their own powersupply or a powered USB Hub?

The drive is a 500 gb SSD in an enclosure.
No option for external power.
SSDs draw less power than HDDs.
If the USB port can’t power an SSD drive, then I highly recommend that
the next gen Vero increases the power available through the USB port.

The USB standard is .5 amps per port and the the Vero can supply that. External drives (even SSDs) normally draw more than .5 amps.

And before you ask why the drive works on your laptop/desktop: Those systems are not actually USB compliant. The supply more than the USB spec calls for. The technically the drive is also not USB compliant as it draws more than .5A.

1 Like

As a non-geek user, it does not seem like rocket science to me
to provide a higher power USB port for people that use SSD/HDD for 4 k content.

What should I be using? Just a USB stick?

I have an Amazon FireTV box and an old Chromebox running LibreElec/Kodi
never had any problems with external HDDs or SDDs
Why did I switch to Vero 4k+?
Because the Amazon FireTV box does not support NTFS or ExFAT
and the old Chromebox does not support 4k.

The easy and inexpensive solution is a powered USB hub. The hub would supply the power to the drive. You can pick one up from the OSMC Shop, or from your favorite local store that sells electronics. A big advantage to the powered hub is it will allow you to connect 4 (or more depending on the hub) drives to the Vero.

We will move to USB3 on the next model, but for now we follow the USB2 spec.

If you are running an unpowered drive, then this will surely be the cause of your crashes.

TY for the response.
I am not interested in having four devices connected
nor having the clutter associated with the powered port.

Does the USB port supply enough power for a USB stick?
That is my only alternative.

That should work unless it is a having a very high power usage. Generally what we have seen as usage for the Vero4k+ is either powered drives (or via powered USB Hub) connected or no drives connected and all media accessed via the network from a NAS.