Internet for ATV 1 with linux Kodi 16.1

Hello all,

I just installed Kodi 16.1 on my ATV 1 using linux. I have been trying to figure how to get the internet working. unfortunately, I was so excited to finally see blue on my screen I did not set up the internet. I don’t know if i need help with OSMC or with Kodi. I’ve been reading posts for the last four hours with no success. This is beginning to seem like an impossible task. Please help

Do I assume correctly that you have installed OSMC on your ATV1? Because your thread doesn’t say that clearly. If so which version have you installed and how?

What kind of connection (wired/wireless) are you trying to use?
Have you tried to go to MyOSMC → Network?

I am unable to get Internet working after loading Kodi 16.1? I’ve installed OSMC and I am using a wireless connection. I went into MyOSMC menu and tried wired/enable adapter and clicked on wait for network. It doesn’t work.
I was told that OSMC doesn’t recognize the ATV1’s wifi card so there is no setting for wireless. I would need something called USB wifi dongle. Is this true? I previously had XBMC, which was simple and worked perfectly. I don’t know why Kodi would move to something that is soooooooo complicated and does not work for ATV 1, it’s bad enough that we have to search all over the world for help and the YouTube video are scarce. Sorry, I’m just a little upset over having to work on this for almost two weeks without success.

Can you explain why you created a second thread?
I have moved your post here as I can not see a difference in your request.

Answer the questions I asked and then maybe someone will help you

Check out this thread :slight_smile:.
Confiiguring Wifi on Apple TV - #30 by mu_mu

The latest update should have support for the internal adapter already.

No luck here, getting this error…

root@atv1:/home/osmc# apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
atv-kernel-osmc : Depends: atv-image-4.2.3-20-osmc but it is not going to be installed
firmware-b43-installer : Depends: bzip2 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).

Are you on the latest OSMC version?
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Getting the same error when I tried that as well…

osmc@atv1:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
atv-kernel-osmc : Depends: atv-image-4.2.3-20-osmc but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

Did you tried sudo apt-get -f install?

Unpacking atv-image-4.2.3-20-osmc (20) …
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/atv-image-4.2.3-20-osmc_2 0_i386.deb (–unpack):
unable to clean up mess surrounding `./boot/vmlinuz-4.2.3-20-osmc’ before insta lling another version: Read-only file system
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/atv-image-4.2.3-20-osmc_20_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Do this,

sudo umount /boot
sudo fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sda1
sudo mount -o force,rw /dev/sda1 /boot

Followed by a complete update.

That worked after I did -f install, update, upgrade, and then finally b43. Thanks for the help!

Hopefully you did dist-upgrade and not upgrade because otherwise your installation is now doomed