Is there a remote repeat filter like Raspbmc?

hi all. Have been a long time Raspbmc user and just got a rpi2 last week. Decided to install alpha 4 to test it out. So far, everything seems to be working really well! I’m eagerly awaiting the RC and stable releases.

I have one of these remotes that I have been using with a custom keymap since I started with Raspbmc:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/8851iC61890ADF1DF78E2?v=mpbl-1

I actually have a harmony remote programmed to replace this remote and have been using this setup for a very long time without issue.

In Alpha 4, I get multiple key presses a significant amount of time. For example, I will press down and hear Avery rapid click-click-click-click-click-click-etc and the interface will scroll all the way to the bottom of a list.

In Raspbmc, I had this too, but there was a setting to turn on a remote filter that made the issue almost non existent. I have not been able to find this setting anywhere in osmc. If it is there, where is it and if it isn’t, is there any chance of bringing that setting back?

Thanks,
Ian

This pre-existing topic is probably where you need to go - to keep that issue in once place.

I’m not convinced this is the same. I am not using CEC but a USB IR adapter that emulates a keyboard. And it’s not just duplicate keypresses, but randomly multiple keypresses, as if a key on a keyboard is being held down.

If this is the same issue, mods can feel free to lock and/or delete this thread.

We will enable eventlircd’s repeat filter by default, so you shouldn’t see unwanted repeats.

However you are probably using the versions of eventlircd and lircd packages that came with alpha 4 as it’s no longer possible to update them to the most recent versions on a new install due to package reorganisation work that is going on behind the scenes.

I’ve actually just tweaked the key repeat delay and repeat speeds in eventlircd in the last couple of days but you wont see the new repeat settings until the next build is released.

Basically there will now be about a 0.7 second delay until first repeat (previously it was a very long 1.9 seconds) and it will then repeat at a moderate speed for about 3 seconds then jump to a must faster repeat rate after holding for 3 seconds. (To get quickly through a long list)

Hopefully most people will find this new repeat configuration comfortable to use - when the next release comes out (probably an RC in the next few days) please check the remote repeat behaviour and let us know what you think.

PS if you are using a harmony remote (I also have a Harmony one) then you may have to tweak the harmonys own repeat setting - by default the harmony sends each code 3 times which can sometimes trigger unwanted repeats depending on the repeat filter delay in the software. If you’re still having an issue after the next release you might want to check that and reduce it to 2.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll wait for RC and then monitor it for a few days and report back.

Hi, the change from 1.9 s delay to 0.7 s already sounds good, but is there a settings file where this and the slow and moderate speed times could be edited? I made a fresh install few days ago and it seems the 1.9 s delay is still in use.

I have a soldered gpio-ir-receiver, and Logitech universal remote acting as a MCE remote, and basically everything works, except that consecutive remote clicks get filtered out if I click faster than twice a second.

Unfortunately the delays and repeat speeds are set in the source code of eventlircd at compile time - it doesn’t have any configuration options for this! (which is quite annoying…)

There is one option in Kodi’s advancedsettings.xml that you can use to fine tune the initial delay however, which is remotedelay:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#remotedelay

The default is 3, if you drop this to 0 it will give roughly the same reduced delay to first repeat that our update to eventlircd will give. However if you do this once we push out the eventlircd update the delay will be even shorter still (almost non-existant) so you will then want to change this setting back to 3 or remove it at that time. So I would only suggest setting this to 0 as a workaround until we can push out the update.

Hello,

i updated with a fresh install to OSMC. I had raspbmc running with my tsop, my logitech running as an MCE remote and had no complains.

Now i have the same problem as the origin poster. my signals gets repeated every time i press a button. i checked the infarot signal, everytime i press the raspberry only receives one command.
so this seems to be a problem with the software.

i changed the remotedelay as you said, but the problem stays. any tips?
thanks

In the end, I improved things by reducing the key repeats in the harmony software. I can’t remember if I also increased the inter key delay as well. Try adjusting these settings and see if either helps.

wow … i had to PM the logitech team to change the repeats on my harmony 300 … thats … not smart. a pitty that OSMC brings such a pain with the remotes…

What makes you think OSMC is to blame ?

I also have a harmony remote and the default of three repeats is excessive for many devices - for example I had problems with repeats on my Xbox 360 with my harmony remote until I dropped it from three repeats to one.

You don’t need to contact Logitech support to change it by the way, it can be done through the programming software although it is difficult to find if you don’t know where to look for it.

It is to blame because my raspbmc worked with the given hardware for a year … after i moved to OSMC with a clean install i had the problem … and it seems im not the only one.

for the harmony it seems like it cant be changed with the software … corresponding menu is missing.
see here:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Remote-Control-Software/How-can-I-adjust-key-repeat-rate-Harmony-300/td-p/1352226

Where’s the logic in your comment?
You have said that you made changes to the remote to decrease the repeat rate and it started working.

I was talking about number of repeats, not repeat rate.

You can change number of repeats in the Harmony software by going to Devices, then for your device choose troubleshoot, then “xxxxx responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally.”, then choose next.

You can then change the number of repeats to a value between 0 and 5 - the default is usually 3, and dropping it to 2 or 1 does the trick.

Hey, in my german harmony windows tool theres no such option.

do you mean such a menu ?

its not there …

1 Like

One of the tricky pieces with Harmony is that there are two different versions of the software. DBMandrake has given instructions for the old version (members.harmonyremote.com) and the instructions for the new version (myharmony) are here:
Fixing Repeats

However, it seems that this adjustment is not user-facing for the 300 (and possibly others) and in those cases, Logitech support needs to adjust it for you.

and i cant get the old software to sync with my remote … gosh … thank you guys so far!

which version do you need?
Be as specific as possible.

you mean for the harmony? i tried the harmony remote 7.7.0 x86 but it didnt found my harmony 300.

today i received an answer from logitech, they changed the repeat value to 1. i did a clean install again and had the same problem several times … from now and then it appears. but its much better then before. i believe i can live with this behavior for now.

nevertheless … its really a software based problem cause i didnt changed my setup for a year now and with the latest stable release ive got this problems.

thank you!
bye